The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 10:14:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone on 10 Last Night?  (Read 2197 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: February 03, 2011, 04:45:57 PM »

Was exercising one of the ancient receivers last night, just listening around a bit. Tuned across a truckload of carriers and noise. Flipped the BFO off and discovered it was 11 meters screaming with activity across the band. All the sounds of the band being in. Couldn't hear much on 10, some CW and a bit of SSB.

Wonder if anyone here was on there last night? This was somewhere between 7-9PM?

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 05:22:11 PM »

every once in a while I will tune to 10 and see if there's activity both on SSB and AM. Ten is one of my favorite bands.  Most of the time its dead but surprisingly there's some short skip on 10 and every once in a while I'll catch some local activity on SSB.  People are using it.  Just got to tune.  

I think it was 2 or 3 months ago I was on 10 SSB and made several stateside contacts to the S and SW. Even had a few to the Caribbean.  It's sporadically active. Who knows, there could be paths but unless someone tries it could appear dead.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 09:05:17 PM »

I used to get on SSB at our evening grayline and call CQ DX with the antenna at VK/ZL and often get a couple of replies on an otherwise dead band.

No time to do that in awhile now.

Carl
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 09:22:44 PM »

Todd if ya haven't figured it out by now I live for 10mtrs..but last nite?..here in the "far north" NADA sums it up entirely..ckd at 6:00 and 7:00 and slightly after 8:00pm EST..I am not one bit surprised ya heard sumptin as a few of the guys in regular contact via e-mail are many times over telling of openings in ur part of the world while it's "deadsville" here..my usual routine up here is at least a dozen times during the day listening and calling CQ on both the "top" (AM) and "bottom" (SSB)..add to that our local gang which meets daily on 28.350 USB from 8:00am til past 10:00am..today not only was 10mtrs inactive here but throw in even 17 15 and 12mtrs to boot..trust me if it's happening up here..I WILL report it prompto!
                Quote of the day in Moose country......"help I've fallen into a snowdrift and I can't get up!"     73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 10:05:12 PM »

Yeah, I figured you'd know if anyone did, Dave. BTW - how are those 40 & 80m ants coming? Best time of the year for antenna work up there!  Grin

Listened earlier, but it was pretty quiet around 8. Last night was another matter.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015