The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:08:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drilling Cement Blocks Follow Up  (Read 2766 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: January 29, 2011, 07:39:17 PM »

First, thanks to all who offered helpful tips and advice for my original quandary over how to cut a large hole through a hollow cement block without breaking it.

In the end, I opted for quick 'n easy since this is only a temporary solution as indicated in my first post. A bit of Tight Bond glue brought the pieces back together and expanding foam sprayed in around the block once it was installed will keep it together. This was all done to allow installation of a gray PVC electrical conduit elbow. Once it was in place, I took the ventilation unit that had been installed in the opening, removed the louver portion from the back, cut in a hole in the grill cover for the conduit and reinstalled. Stuffed a couple old rags in to keep out the cold and critters and voila - instant access for coax feedlines, capable of handling 4-6 RG-8/U type cables.

As mentioned previously, I have a friend here locally who will make me a nice copper bulkhead to install once I make up my mind just where I want it and what it will include. For now, this temporary set up allows me to install more wires for other bands while working out the final layout of the radio room, more of a 'measure twice, cut once' approach.

* InsideFeedthru2.JPG (476.32 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 267 times.)

* OutsideFeedthru.JPG (368.49 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 273 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 07:41:52 PM »

Very FB OM.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 11:25:40 PM »

I'll stop by in, oh, ummm... , how about 20 years to see how that "temporary" fix is workin' out for ya, ok? Y'all hang loose now! Cheesy

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 06:11:07 AM »

Todd send a couple runs of solid coppper wire out and put some radials down
Ground is soft in spring and you just need to get it down a couple inches.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 02:12:34 PM »

By then I don't think the folks at the home will allow you to be taking field trips, Randall. Wink As per my original post, the block and conduit will stay in place after the feed line bulkhead is installed, serving as a route for grounding and other similar needs. The 'temporary' part refers to using it for antenna feed lines. And the foam allows any future owner to easily remove the blocks (I installed 3, only one has a conduit) if they decide to reinstall the vents.

Todd send a couple runs of solid coppper wire out and put some radials down
Ground is soft in spring and you just need to get it down a couple inches.

That's the next thing on the list, Frank. I'm going to drive a ground rod or three right along the wall a foot or so out, right where the roof drains which will keep the ground more moist there and a bit more conductive. The main electrical entrance is just around the corner to the left, so tying everything together will be a cinch. We don't plan to stay here any longer than necessary but since the VT house still hasn't sold, I'm planning for a longer stay than originally thought. I figure everything will get done just in time to move to a bigger place. That's always how it works.

Now, if I can just keep a transmitter on the air longer than a month, life should be pretty good.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 06:16:43 PM »

Todd, who is this "Randall" person you are talkin to??

Well whomever he may be, probably he was alluding to the usual hammy state of affairs wherein temporary measures - like the temporary dipole antenna - tend to last a long time, despite the best intentions. Dunno if it happens that way to you, but I know it does to me... I say son, I say, son that's humor!   Roll Eyes

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 08:34:26 PM »

Pay attention to me boy. I'm not just talking to hear my head roar!

* Foghorn_Leghorn.png (167.39 KB, 298x408 - viewed 290 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 08:38:31 PM »

Every once in a while the XYL brings home tuff chicken. I usually refer to it as this mush have been Foghorn Leghorn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015