The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:19:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meter scale creation software  (Read 8597 times)
WB2CAU

« on: December 18, 2010, 02:35:37 PM »

I have a surplus Heathkit 4.75" X 4" VOM or VTVM meter movement.  I want to create a large custom S-meter scale that I can print out with my laser printer.

I've looked online and there's a program from Tonne Software called "Meter" that can do this but it is not free.  Before I buy it, does anyone know of a free and easy-to-use Windows XP based program that can perform the same function? 

Or, if there are no free programs out there, does anyone have experience with "Meter" and is it worthwhile to purchase?  Can an old buzzard like me figure out how to use it?  I hate to buy a program and then discover that you have to be a software engineer to use it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 04:53:26 PM »

Trying MeterBasic (which is free) should give you a feel for the overall software.
http://www.tonnesoftware.com/meter2.html

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K5WLF
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 05:09:14 PM »

I used to draw meter scales in my old DesignCAD 4.0 (DOS) software. I imagine that any decent CAD software would let you do the job. I just downloaded the QCad trial a couple days ago, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

That said, I took a look at the capabilities of the "Meter" software, and it looks like a heck of a lot of program for only $35. If I needed to draw meter scales, I think I'd buy it. Pete's definitely correct. The free trial program will give you an idea of the UI and whether you like it or not.

ldb
K5WLF
WB2CAU

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »

Unfortunately, I have had no experience with CAD programs, nor am I about to purchase an expensive CAD program.

I already downloaded and tried Meter Basic but it has too many limitations for what I want to accomplish. That's why I asked about Meter (or a free alternative). 

Before I spend the $35 I'd like to hear what someone who has already had experience with it thinks of it.  I'm retired, I can't spend $$$ frivolously.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
K5WLF
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 08:23:08 PM »

I found some comments about the "Meter" program on a forum:

http://tinyurl.com/2b9u8oj

Scroll down to the comments by "cncfan" and following for the comments.

I certainly understand about not being able to spend frivolous money -- I work for the state...

You can download a free trial of QCad if you like at:

http://www.qcad.org/qcad.html

Good luck with your search.

ldb
K5WLF
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 10:36:52 PM »

I didn't buy the full version. The free version is OK for free. The way I do meters now is to take off the scale, scan at the highest DPI, process the image as best I can, then open it in ms paint and edit out the numbers, putting the ones in that I want. If I want the numbers at an angle, I use another program to copy each number and rotate it, then paste them in. I color in the scales as I wish in paint. It's very tedious but works well. The reviews are scant on that site.

Well you could always contact Tonne and just talk to him about what you want to do. Maybe he will let you try it on the honor system. He has an honest reputation if it's the guy I am thinking of.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KF9CM

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 09:15:41 AM »

Pete mentioned "Meter" by Tonne software. I've used it for a few years and I was so impresses I bought the full version. You can also make tuning plates for various vernier dials such as National.

* dials1.jpg (23.69 KB, 453x309 - viewed 892 times.)

73 de Gary, KF9CM

www.kf9cm.com
cx2ua
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 11:41:03 PM »

Hi I think that F5BU software can be useful is a bit more complicated to program but everything is a matter of learning how to use it's free

this is the link for downloading from the web of F1FRV:
http://f1frv.free.fr/telechargement/Galva_185-3L.zip

73, Paolo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015