The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:18:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Darrell, WA5VGO Some Homebrew equipment  (Read 12024 times)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« on: January 11, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »

Darrell loves to homebrew.  His passion for the tube equipment is evident in his work.  Bear suggested I link these pics to AMFone, great idea!

Top Shelf, Left to Right
1-QRP Transmitter, 2E26 modulated by 6DZ7, 15 Watts , 80 and 40 meters.
2-Receiver, Double conversion using all Loktal tubes and plug in coils, 80 thru 10 meters, Collins mechanical filters. Above it is a Homebrew VFO for the 807 transmitter.
3-Receiver, Double conversion, band switched 160 thru 10 meters, Collins Mechanical filters. Above it is a 6L6 modulator for the 807 transmitter.

Bottom Shelf, Left to Right
1-Receiver, Band imaging receiver for 80 and 40 meters. Perfect oscillator tracking and no band switching required. Has mechanical filter in 2nd IF.
2-807 Transmitter. 50 watts input 80 thru 10 meters.
3-Matching transmitter for the band imaging receiver. 4D32 modulated by 809's, VFO control, 80 and 40 meters, 100 watts output.

AMI#1684
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:27:25 PM »

Wow  Shocked Shocked Shocked I'm impressed. Great job!!

Mike

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:30:24 PM »

WOW! ! ! ! ! !  fantastic looking workmanship!!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 03:33:47 PM »

Makes me get soft warm fuzzies! Cheesy

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 03:43:49 PM »

Yeah, very well executed layout, and real pride in workmanship; this gentleman's equipment looks like something out of the older (pre-1965) QSTs or Orr's Radio Handbook.

Like all homebrewed gear, it must be great fun to own and operate.

Thanks for sharing!

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 03:51:33 PM »

Not only does his equipment look nice but the transmitter sounds as good as the set looks.  Darrell is very accomplished.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 03:56:45 PM »

Beautiful!
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 04:18:39 PM »

Not only does his equipment look nice but the transmitter sounds as good as the set looks.  Darrell is very accomplished.

It's true! I've heard a couple different transmitters that he's built.  All sound great!  2e26 rig, 4d32 rig and an 807 rig I believe.  Darrell is the type that spends more of his ham time building than operating but he does put his stuff on the air and it's always a pleasure to work him.  He is definitely an inspiration.

AMI#1684
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »

I feel so inadequate.  Cry

Very nice stuff. The work of a craftsman.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 04:46:16 PM »

Steve, you could build a pretty rig.....
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 05:02:40 PM »

I'm working on it ......
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 06:46:34 PM »

Nice and shiny work.  Roomy enough to add a hot tub!   Grin

How come I always need a crowbar to fit parts in?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 11:10:37 PM »

If I worked with him in his shop for ten years, I still couldn't build that nice. He must be a mechanical engineer or something in his working life??

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 11:26:02 PM »

Looks like good old fashioned commercial gear. Very top notch work.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 01:51:53 PM »

If I worked with him in his shop for ten years, I still couldn't build that nice. He must be a mechanical engineer or something in his working life??

Same here, though I'd like to believe I *could* do it if I applied myself. I'm sure that proper training and plenty of experience play a role, but I suspect patience and a measured approach make a big difference in the end result. So long as you can take your time without the burning desire to try it out now, you have the ability to take your time, take a break, walk away when needed, think things through, do it right.

It also helps to have the proper tools, a well-stocked shop, and good materials available. I suspect Darrell's junkbox looks considerably better than what I have kicking around in my garage.

That is truly some beautiful gear.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 08:39:59 PM »

I had a few inquiries about if Darrell had strictly followed ARRL handbooks or some other sources. 

I emailed and he replied basically that he would borrow ideas from commercial equipment/ QST articles/ handbooks or where ever.  He would build and test a stage at a time, sometimes the stage might be an exact copy but often he would tweak things.  When he was through, he would have a dozens of schematics that when combined would represent the final product.  Then he would cram all the notes, sketches etc into a large manilla folder and HOPE we never have to decipher them later.   Cool

AMI#1684
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 04:34:08 PM »

Wow, I sure would like to meet him someday and see his shop!  Actually when someone has that kind of talent, he does not need a fancy shop to produce good work.  I would be curious if he builds a protype and gets all the bugs worked out and then after that, builds the "production" version.  Often times when your designing gear, it takes those two steps to ultimately produce something that looks that great. 
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 05:09:21 PM »

Some people seem to have it in their DNA - like spiders that instinctively weave complex and intricate webs.

Another guy's work to look at is Chuck/K1KW.  When we were both about 14 years old, Chuck came to my house with his father. He had under his arm a homebrew screen modulated 6146 AM transmitter. It was built into a Bud "shadow cabinet" with a pristine looking aluminum chassis. He opened it up and I thought he was pulling my leg. I thought HOW could ANYONE build a piece of commercial gear like that?

Later, in high school, Chuck built a 4X1 modulated by 833A's. Way ahead for his age. The RF deck is still used by a ham up in Maine and is a work of art.

My point is, some guys learned to do it RIGHT at an early age and were never ambushed by the JS demons.  Darrel with his FB rigs pictured above is another one of them.  These guys show the rest of us how it should be done... Grin  (and there's more of these guys amongst us, of course)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KD0HUX

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 06:27:57 PM »

THAT IS GREAT CRAFTMAN SHIP Smiley
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 07:58:03 PM »

While we are at it, take a look at this guy's site.  He has documented his work quite well like Darrell.

http://www.zianet.com/k5am/
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 05:28:17 PM »

Very nice stuff Jim!

AMI#1684
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015