The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:41:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back on 160! ...Also, monitor 1936 kc/s Thursday night.  (Read 4059 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: December 29, 2010, 07:16:24 PM »

I just completed the re-construction of the 160m tuner in the new dawg house and tried it out this afternoon.  The overload relay kicked out the first couple of times as soon as I applied modulation at full power, but then settled down.  Probably some trash needed to be burnt out of the bread slicer.

The remote tune system works as planned.  I can adjust the SWR to about 1.1:1 across the entire band, which means I should be able to run the Gates without the outboard L-network.

So far, have used the HF-300 rig, because it has a variac on the RF final power supply, allowing me to run the output way down to a safe level for initial tests.  Plan to fire up the Gates later this evening.  First time I have been on top band since  last spring.

BTW, I believe to-morrow night, the 30th, is the annual AM night for the Cincinnati net that meets on 1936 kc/s, to commemorate the flood of 1936 and the emergency communication service provided by amateur radio. The frequency was chosen to commemorate the year of the disaster.

The net normally meets weekly on SSB on the frequency, but once a year as a special commemorative event, the net is carried out entirely on AM.  Usually, dozens of AM stations are heard, many which apparently operate AM only once a year for this event.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 07:20:59 PM »

Don, congratulations.   I hope to work you if I can get the rig fixed and deal with the noise level.  What feedline are you using?  The OWL?

rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 01:34:40 AM »

What feedline are you using?  The OWL?

Still using the crappy, lossy coax link. Next step will be to get the 80m vertical tuner working.  Then can take apart the 80m dipole tuner and relocate it but still be able to get on 80m in the meantime.  After that comes the 40m tuner followed by the 160m dipole tuner.  That will put me off 40m for a short while.

Once all the tuners are working to my satisfaction, I'll replace the old buried coax link with fresh coax from the same roll, this time strung above ground on the T-posts.  Probably will wait till spring or summer to revise the tuner input configurations and replace the coax link with balanced, flat OWL.

This  project is going tediously slow.  It seems to take an entire day to complete each little step, particularly during this period of short winter daylight.  I spent all last Thursday just wiring up two feedline knife switches for lightning protection. I had originally anticipated having the whole thing finished by October.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 11:52:26 AM »

Don, We have been meeting on 1885 around 7pm Arizona time. We stay on for an hour and sometimes 2 hours.  Give us a shout sometime.

C
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 06:16:42 PM »

This  project is going tediously slow.  It seems to take an entire day to complete each little step, particularly during this period of short winter daylight.  I spent all last Thursday just wiring up two feedline knife switches for lightning protection. I had originally anticipated having the whole thing finished by October.

I can sympathize with the slowness.  I am off the air while I troubleshoot a problem but I have decided to construct the workshop and clean out the basement.  Well, at the rate it is going with my job and other duties I'm going to be QRT for months.   But I decided this was the only way I'd ever get it done.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 07:08:04 PM »

BTW, I believe to-morrow night, the 30th, is the annual AM night for the Cincinnati net that meets on 1936 kc/s, to commemorate the flood of 1936 and the emergency communication service provided by amateur radio. The frequency was chosen to commemorate the year of the disaster.

They are already at it here at 7:06 PM Probably a pre net thing.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 09:20:34 PM »

I'm listening to Don right now on 1.936 AM from the Connecticut Global Tuners Online receiver.  Very nice signal Don!

AMI#1684
K5WLF
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 09:26:47 PM »

2023 CST --

Just tuned in here in Stephenville, TX and Don (K4KYV) sounded like he was sitting in my shack. I'm on a coil loaded dipole (LOA = 97') and it's real narrow-banded. It's 8.9:1 at 1930, so with the ricebox on 25 watts AM and the resultant losses in the tuner, there's not much point in my trying to join in. But I'm going to enjoy listening.

I gotta get a good AM rig.

73 and Happy New Year,
Larry
K5WLF
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 09:32:57 PM »

Actually hearing quite a few nice signals on the global tuners.  Listening to a class E rig from K8RRH.  Very nice audio.

I'm at work so I'm having to monitor online.

AMI#1684
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 11:07:49 PM »

WA1QIX also sounds fantastic!

AMI#1684
KL7OF

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 01:22:05 AM »

I listened to 1936 from 7 PM Pacific to 9:30 PM ....The band was fairly quiet and the strongest signal was NM4A holding court ......not real strong but q5 on the SP-600...I tried to break everal times to no avail...When they closed the net and the freq was clear...I called and was answered by K8KRR in cincinatti.  He was running 350 watts carrier.

He had storm static issues and didn't copy me 100%..I was running the walk thru Gates TX...He was Q5 in Tum Tum on the beverage..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015