The AM Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:56:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phantom Power Supplies  (Read 4574 times)
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« on: December 19, 2010, 06:35:08 PM »

I'm considering getting/obtaining a nice condenser mic that requires phantom power, (I guess most do). Anyway, my mixer doesn't have a mic input with phantom power so I need to outboard it. Most that I have read about use a switcher as a supply. My question is how well do these swithcers hold out with RF loose in the house? I don't want to drop any $$ on one and it unable to withstand an RF environment. I do know that I'm asking this question in the right place. All points of view welcomed.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 06:41:17 PM »

if a switching supply can't take the RF, i imagine a suplly using a transformer could be built

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 06:41:23 PM »

Mike(Y)
Try this link for some ideas.

I bet you bought a BLUE SPARK microphone or a used Marshall.

http://sound.westhost.com/project96.htm

or

http://www.tangible-technology.com/power/Phantom_Power_connect.html

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 08:00:17 PM »

Here is a link with the dope you need:

http://www.tangible-technology.com/power/Phantom_Power_connect.html

Mic on!

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:12:42 PM »

My phantom supply is built into the equipment. I never had a problem with any of it but I guess I don't know the answer to your question excepting to say that at the camp I have two switching power supplies to charge my batteries. They run at over two kilowatts DC output when charging. I wondered if RF would get into them and the answer is, No. Not a problem.

I think you would do well to buy a device rather than build something and here's a link just for examples of what's out there.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=phantom+power+SUPPLY

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W3SLK

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 10:47:57 PM »

Terry, ur correct. I don't care to build one because everything I have would be way overkill. Fred, I'm leaning towards a Shure KSM32 or something in that vicinity. I might try a Behringer (B2?) if the opportunity presents itself. They are extremely cheap, (read as made in Chinka). However, I would like to get something USA or at least in this hemisphere. I won't turn my nose up to a good Neumann though.

Everything commercial seems to be a switcher. Maybe that is what you have in your board Terry. I may be worried over nothing. More research.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 07:42:25 AM »

Mike,
If you have a mixer just use the supplies in it. Most of those mics, mine included, will work well with a voltage 9V and above.

On my old Tascam board I used the +/- 15 volt supplies with the 6K resistors and 68uf cap shown in one of the links above.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 10:17:21 AM »

I wouldn't worry so much about the switching supply malfunctioning in the presence of strong rf from my transmitter.  I would worry more about how it performs in the absence of rf. Namely, while I am trying to receive.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KA2QFX

Mark

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 10:13:10 PM »

I modified an old EQ into a multi-band compressor. It had a conventional single ended mic pre-amp and no phantom supply. I modified the preamp for differential input but still needed the phantom voltage.

I simply took the 12 volt AC off the transformer before before the rectifier and built up a simple multiplier (4-100uF caps as a half wave quadrupler). That then feeds the differential mic lines (XLR 2 & 3) through two matched resistors (5K each).   Worked fine, I had absolutely no hum or noise detectable. I thought I'd need to bridge them with a pot to null some error but no. 

I would avoid switching regulators if possible, but no doubt they can be made to work. I'm OK with simpler is better.

Mark
W3SLK

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 07:36:02 AM »

Thanks Mark. I was thinking about following Buddly's lead and tapping off the 12VDC supply on the mixer. I guess what I ought to do is buy a modern mixer. I have two mixer boards. One is a classic Bozak CMA-10-1 with a handful of CM-481 transformers and the other is a Russco 505 that dispite all my troubleshooting, every thing that comes out of it is a perfect square wave, and I think it is soley responsible for wiping out my mod transformer on my RCA rig. One thought I did have was picking up a cheap doorbell transformer and concocting a small doubler circuit ala your suggestion. That might work better and not be as noisy in the receiver as Don, K4KYV, has suggested.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
KA2QFX

Mark

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 09:55:28 AM »

FB Mike,

I don't know if you need another transformer unless your making an external box to supply the phantom power to the mike. Just about any mixer/preamp should have a source of low voltage AC you should be able to multiply. The phantom supply is not isolated from ground as it requires pin 1 for DC return on the mic jack.  As long as both pins 2 & 3 see the exact same voltage you're good.  If you have transformer inputs with a center tap for your mic in  only one connection to the 48 Volts is needed. Otherwise I would still use two resistors, one to each side of the transformer, to supply the 48V.

Add a switch to eliminate the 48V for conventional mics.
W4RFM

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 03:29:31 PM »

A company broadcast people use called ROLLS, makes a very inexpensive phantom power supply used inline.  It will sell for $40.00 or less.  P.M. me and I will tell you more, so as not to be commericial on the forum.

BOB / W4RFM  \\\\\\\"I have looked far and wide, (I also checked near and narrow)\\\\\\\"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015