The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 04:32:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collins 21-E  (Read 4770 times)
mauimark
« on: November 17, 2010, 05:31:47 AM »

Does anyone know where I could find the operation/service/build manual or any component part list for a Collins 21-E Transmitter. I am trying to compile as much info as possible for this beast and have been unsuccessful except for one schematic on the BAMA site. I appreciate your input.

Mark WH7TU
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 05:55:42 AM »

Something will happen soon, coz there have been several on the air from this board.
K2PG Phil has one and is on the air. You might look him up on the board and PM him.

3-phase power?? Or the usual single phase mods??
PHIL was able to get three phase power for his 21E on his private property.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 09:15:38 AM »

Phred said:
PHIL was able to get three phase power for his 21E on his private property.

Yepper! I helped move those boxes to his Shickshinny site. His website is http://www.k2pg.com/

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 07:08:27 PM »

Yes,  there are several here who have/run 21-Es.

I see that your call is listed for two of them on the 21-E  "Registry",  so you know about that page.

If you are not opposed to buying a manual, some of the used BC dealers list them from time-to-time.

This may be very old, cached Google data,  but,   ... :
http://www.fmamtv.com/mantransmitters.html

You may have Googled around already.   The manual is about 80 or so pages,  and three-ring bound IIRC,  so asking someone to copy one is not a small task,  and three rings damage the original  with each cycle,   and so on.

EDIT:  May I ask your initial goal ?  Are you planning on getting these on a Ham band?   Are these targeted to Broadcast service?  The schematic is a good starting place.

73  Good Luck,  and let us know how you are doing.   Vic
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 03:25:29 PM »

Hello mauimark,

May I now ask about your progress with the 21-E ??

How is it going ?   Did you find a manual,  and will we be hearing this (these) rig(s) on the Hammie bands soon ?

Too many questions,  I know.  73    HH    Vic
mauimark
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 06:40:57 PM »

Aloha, Vic

Yes I did obtain two manuals, one for each transmitters I acquired as well as many mods that the Collins company made available to the stations owners over the years. I am in the process of compiling a list of these mods to help those who need them. As for the progress it was going well up to the point of making the final connection to a 30 hp rotary phase converter. This project is taking place at my old homestead in Texas where I plan to retire, my full time residence and work place is on Maui. During the construction of the #1 transmitter I had my Dad helping with advice. He was involved in the commercial radio broadcast business for years in Houston and years before that in the Korean conflict with what was then the Armed Forces Radio in Japan. He was the "Honshu Cowboy" on the air and Ben Oldag to the rest of the world, I understand he had quite the following. He was very excited about the project and wanted to get back on the air, but unfortunately we lost him. We buried him on December 7. I have since come back to Maui to regroup and of course go back to work. I will be back to Texas soon to hopefully finish the major portion of the restoration. I have sent many needed supplies there form my shack here on Maui. It's difficult having two shacks going at the same time. We were very fortunate to get this transmitter from a working station. The individual dismantled it for shipping and stored it in an environmentally controlled facility. I also acquired a second transmitter from the same individual for a parts rig. I will keep in touch. Thank you for concern and help and to all who have given me the much needed tech support many, many thanks.  Aloha Mark WH7TU 
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 08:33:58 PM »

speaking of the collins 21-e, there happens to be one on ebay right now in houston, texas along with a mcmartin ba-1k

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 08:37:04 PM »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.  Great that you found manuals for these great rigs.

I am very sorry to hear of the passing of your dad.  Very sad indeed.  I'm sure that his background in broadcasting was a big help.

It is interesting to see the range of approaches hams have taken in getting these rigs on the ham bands.

Have not used a  roatry phase converter before.  A friend had the power company put in three phase power,  but think that it was Open Delta -- only two transformers,  but it seemed to work.

Good luck with your dual QTHs,  and the 21-Es,  hope you will let all here know how you are doing.   73  Vic
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 06:49:35 PM »

Good find Shelby.
The McMartin looks like it has upgraded iron. The one I had was original iron and the mod iron was very wimpy. Small transformer in oil. And upgraded??? to 4-400's.
I like the 4-500's better.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 06:52:06 PM »

There are a *lot* of rotary single to 3-phase converters online for sale.
You want to look for a Kay Industires "Phasemaster". Shoot some grease into the bearings once a year and you're good forever. Got a 1983 model here on a 20KW Harris FM transmitter that's been working terrific for almost 30 years, 24x7. It's never shut down.

Do a Google or Ebay search. You connect your 240 single phase to the input and the converter makes the third leg for you. Gives you a 3 phase 240 volt delta out of a single-phase 240 volt source. Couldn't be easier. And fairly inexpensive.

You only need a 5 KW model to manufacture you 5 KW per three-phase leg.

They look like *big* dynamotors.
KL7OF

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 10:19:41 PM »

I have built 3 phase rotary converters by using a 3 phase motor that runs on single phase and generates the third leg...I always used them to run 3 phase motor driven equipment....I wasn't aware that they could be used to run transformer equipment...Simple to build, Old surplus 3 phase motors are cheap and with a switch, a relay and a cap for starting you're in business...
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 05:21:09 AM »

There are a *lot* of rotary single to 3-phase converters online for sale.
You want to look for a Kay Industires "Phasemaster". Shoot some grease into the bearings once a year and you're good forever. Got a 1983 model here on a 20KW Harris FM transmitter that's been working terrific for almost 30 years, 24x7. It's never shut down.

Do a Google or Ebay search. You connect your 240 single phase to the input and the converter makes the third leg for you. Gives you a 3 phase 240 volt delta out of a single-phase 240 volt source. Couldn't be easier. And fairly inexpensive.

You only need a 5 KW model to manufacture you 5 KW per three-phase leg.

They look like *big* dynamotors.
I wonder if Allan Weiner knows this??? All of his stuff is  sucking on a single phase. OUCH!
FRED

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015