The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:43:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Gross CB-80 published in new radio photo book!  (Read 7794 times)
KA0HCP
Contributing

« on: December 07, 2010, 10:02:11 PM »

http://www.arrl.org/shop/50-Years-of-Amateur-Radio-Innovation/

Joe Veras K90C0  has a new photo book out published by the ARRL.  It has photos of 400 radios from 1930-1980.  Joe has done wonderful work for CQ magazine for years.

He photographed my radio several years ago.  I checked the index and it's in there along with two other Gross radios.  Page 14!   Yippee.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 10:39:57 PM »

I thought this book came out several years ago (2008?). I've seen it on dealer shelves numerous times.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 11:10:43 PM »

Hmmmm.  That's what you call "Good ARRL Marketing"!

They told me I need more books to re-learn "The New Morse Code" too.  Do do you think they would lie to me?  Smiley

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 03:18:47 AM »

If you click the link you provided, you'll see it was copyright 2008.

However, you're somewhat close. If you check the ARRL Store for  "What's New", you'll see they're offering  50 Years CD-ROM with Bonus Calendar which covers over 800 images not included in Joe Veras's book. To see details, go here:  http://www.arrl.org/shop/50-Years-CD-ROM-with-Bonus-Calendar/

KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 07:43:38 AM »

Ok, yep thanks!

I had just opened Decembers QST and they have a full page advert flagged "New" with the three items bundled together.   The good news is that I discovered the book which I had overlooked previously.  Smiley

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 09:25:58 AM »

The have the book, but the disappointing thing is that the pictures are black and white. Nice shots but no color.
Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 10:41:13 AM »

Shaun,

I bought the book back in 2008.  I see the Gross transmitter of yours and it looks like a very nice piece.  Looking at the credit of contributor index, they must of have missed your name and call since I don't see it listed. 

Joe Veras does excellent work taking pictures of early gear.  I use to purchase the Vintage CQ calendar every year until they stopped producing them.  Now I see the ARRL is starting to do the vintage calendars which is good.  I also noted that as Pete said, they have a vintage radio CD.  For some reason I like to have printed material in the form of a finished book or calendar rather than looking at the stuff on a computer. 

Again congrats on having that great Gross transmitter.  Is it on the air?

Regards,
Joe     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 11:55:54 AM »

I think that's because the transmitter still belonged to Don Merz at that point, Joe. Take a look at the credits for his name. He put it on ebay a few months back and Bill was the lucky guy to grab it. Don also had a very scarce, even rare RCA transmitter and a few others over the years. He seems to be another one with a nose for finding the good stuff.

Steve, Joe/PJP and I got to meet Joe Veras at Shelby last year. I had a great talk with him about the old gear, his sources, and so on. You may have noticed over the years that many of the photos in his calendars come from the Herman Cone N4HC collection. The tongue-in-cheek joke with the local fellows here is that Joe is Herman's personal photographer, the collection being so vast.

Anyhow, Joe told me about the whole CQ calendar affair and how he ended up putting the book with the ARRL in the end. The initial idea as I recall was to use sepia and B&W for much of the older stuff anyhow, since color wasn't used much back then. IIRC, cost became an issue later. He was also in a bad car wreck some years back which slowed down the whole project.

He gave me a CD copy of the book which I've yet to sit down and go through entirely. Though I still want to get the actual paper version, the CD sure is handy for quick reference.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 12:27:20 PM »

They told me I need more books to re-learn "The New Morse Code" too.  Do do you think they would lie to me? 

Do they still use that (Morse Code) on the railroads? Hams use the Continental code so maybe we have to learn the New Morse code?

Of course code is no longer a requirement but I'm glad I learned it even if I'm slow with it.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread Grin Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W1UJR
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 12:51:44 PM »

http://www.arrl.org/shop/50-Years-of-Amateur-Radio-Innovation/

Joe Veras K90C0  has a new photo book out published by the ARRL.  It has photos of 400 radios from 1930-1980.  Joe has done wonderful work for CQ magazine for years.
He photographed my radio several years ago.  I checked the index and it's in there along with two other Gross radios.  Page 14!   Yippee.

Will, glad someone got that Gross, it needs TLC, but deserves to be saved!
I saw that offered twice and though tempting I've got a full plate, know that it went to a good home.
Let me know if you need data, or if I can help.

Yes, very cool book! and very cool author. I exchanged several emails with Joe when I was researching the Gross Radio Company a few years back, very nice fellow, and always more than willing to share information.

Black and white does not bother me, if you think back to the era of most of the early rigs/sets, they were photographed in black and white to start with, in many ways it makes it look even more appropriate. I do like the cover shot, classic set there.

Great stocking stuffer!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 01:17:55 PM »

Steve, Joe/PJP and I got to meet Joe Veras at Shelby last year. I had a great talk with him about the old gear, his sources, and so on. You may have noticed over the years that many of the photos in his calendars come from the Herman Cone N4HC collection. The tongue-in-cheek joke with the local fellows here is that Joe is Herman's personal photographer, the collection being so vast.

Anyhow, Joe told me about the whole CQ calendar affair and how he ended up putting the book with the ARRL in the end. The initial idea as I recall was to use sepia and B&W for much of the older stuff anyhow, since color wasn't used much back then. IIRC, cost became an issue later. He was also in a bad car wreck some years back which slowed down the whole project.

He gave me a CD copy of the book which I've yet to sit down and go through entirely. Though I still want to get the actual paper version, the CD sure is handy for quick reference.

Actually Herman's call is N4CH. I've known Herman for many years. Over the years he has acquired several unique pieces of equipment from me. I met Joe several years ago at Dayton when Herman brought him over to my tables for an eyeball. Joe and I have had a number of e-mail discussions over the years on assorted pieces of equipment. Two really great and interesting people and both always enjoyable to talk with.

Here's Herman on the January 1998 cover of CQ Magazine:

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 01:25:26 PM »

>I saw that offered twice and though tempting I've got a full plate,<

You've still got to get back to that antique radio guy in Maine  Grin

I'd shell out some coin for a book of full color closeups of vintage gear with interior and underside photos but I bet the market for such a reference would be so small there would be no profit in it.

The money makers if there are any, are probably the handbooks, antenna books...things like that.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W1UJR
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 01:46:40 PM »

Those shelves in that CQ photo look like the underground radio caverns of N3IBX. :-)
Scary sagging....

Just moved a Johnson 500 and Johnson Valiant out of the back of the Volvo today, almost done
with the great radio sorting/move, these things get heavier every year!
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 02:31:28 PM »

Yes, Don Merz owned the CB-80 when Joe Veras took the photos.  Joe provided one color photo of the rig shot with a blue backdrop, which looks wonderful.   ?? Does anyone know what year the CQ calendar was?  I want to hunt for a copy.

I got the radio from Don in August.  Although I don't think he did any work on the rig, Don had done a fair bit of research and gave me  a nice package of documents, letters and photos.   Don has a real nose of old radios and a great appreciation.  It was worth the full day of driving just to talk with him and see his collection even if I hadn't picked up the radio.

I've got parts on the kitchen table, verifying circuit and checking components.  Taking a slow approach with the intention to do no harm.

I would be more the glad to share schematics, notes or photos.

73, Bill

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 03:12:56 PM »

Sorry Bill for messing up your name.  I went to QRZ and must have typed in the wrong call.  When responding I like to address the person by their name.  I will look for the calendar with the Gross TX on it and if I have it, its yours.  Give me a day or so to check to see if I have it.
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 03:32:12 PM »

Bill,
I was anxious to see if I had that issue of the CQ Calender and unfortunately I don't.  I was surprised since I have almost every year while they were in production. 
Sorry...
Joe, W3GMS 

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 04:44:50 PM »

I have CQ calendars from 1994 through 2002 and it's not in any of them. There was a dry spell of vintage calendars in the mid 2000's, as Joe migrated from CQ to QST.

KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 05:01:24 PM »

My dad always called me "Clem" when he couldn't remember my name!  Smiley

I don't have any proof that the radio made it into a calendar, other than Don's statement to me.  It very well could be that Joe Veras intended to put it in a calendar but ended up in the book.   

I couldnt' find an index to the CQ calendars.  I'll dig around and see if the ARRL has a listing.

Bill

Historical tidbit:   The CB-80 was announced in Feb 1937.  All its screws are straight slot.   The Phillips head screw wasn't introduced to industry until later in the year!   (just came back from a run to the marine store looking for appropriate screws without luck). 

W1UJR
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 05:41:46 PM »

Historical tidbit:   The CB-80 was announced in Feb 1937.  All its screws are straight slot.   The Phillips head screw wasn't introduced to industry until later in the year!   (just came back from a run to the marine store looking for appropriate screws without luck).  

Good call "Clem", on the Philips or cross-popint screws, that's a sharp eye/mind to know that vintage trick.

When I restored the W1FPZ and Gross CB-25 rigs I replaced all of my hardware with new from McMaster Carr, great people to deal with, and awesome catalog to pick exactly the right fastener. I used stainless, a concession to modern times, but it looks very authentic.

McMaster screw page -->> http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screws/=a29xfr

Gross page -->> http://www.w1ujr.net/restore_gross_cb-25.htm

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015