The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:55:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ongoing Silent Key List?  (Read 2360 times)
W1UJR
« on: November 17, 2010, 05:46:24 PM »

Wonder if there is any interest in keeping an on-going silent key list?

I know we have our "late notables" page, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have a simple list
of the ham, his call, date of passing, maybe a photo and few basic details.
So many times as I read older publications I wonder who these fellows were, and so
many of them seem almost forgotten.

What brought this to mind was that I was thinking about Bob W8EPQ today and couldn't find
much on the net about him anymore. Recall I used to speak with him often when I lived in Buffalo,
and that he passed right before my elmer W2UJR.

I'd sure like to see these fellows remembered, even it is something simple.

Thinking some sort of on-going list which can be maintained and added to
as info comes up. Ideally open to all to update, post photos, comments,
etc.

So much of the lore and memories are in our heads, and we're not getting
any younger.

What do you think?

-Bruce
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 06:13:52 PM »

I may have been the one to suggest to Gary the Notables page when he was setting up the site, after I put he and Brian together on taking custody of amfone.net.

I thought the same way as yourself that these folks ought to be memorialized.

What seems to happen, myself included, is that we just move on and don't spend time writing up a proper obituary if we directly knew the person, or at least pen some thoughts from memorable QSOs in a friendship more casual.

It happens on other websites that have tribute pages too.  People just don't linger.

It's a shame, but unless someone actively sought responses and reflections when someone passes away, I don't see much hope for a suitable testament that could be archived.

A variation on what you propose may come with the ongoing effort by folks such as Bert WA3JYU and Joe W3GMS, to conduct audio interviews with various AM luminaries.  I don't know how many of these fellows have passed away in the years their projects have been going on, but an inventory and access to those files might allow a quick rollout when someone's Day comes.

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 06:18:18 PM »

Yep, the great knowledge storehouse is depleting daily.

However, one thing I have noticed on many forums (including this one), is a technical question is usually answered fifty-eleven ways, occasionally degrading into spiteful rhetoric.  This leads the asker to even more questions and confusion.

Granted, there are many roads to a single destination.  Maybe the thing to do is have a set of pages, one to each subscriber, to put their info into print before they pass on.  To feel free to 'speak on the technical side of things' sort of pre-loaded knowledge compendium.  

No comments, questions, or edits allowed but by the originator.

Just a thought....

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KM8AM

...dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 11:37:27 PM »

This would be a nice tribute to those who walked before/with us.

It seems that we already have a start within the forums themselves.

Often when someone passes and mentions it here, many people remininsce and tell their stories.

A search for these informal obits and rememberances could at least start the process???

...Ken, km8am
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 11:53:08 PM »

Hi Paul and fellows,

Paul, you're correct, if the memories are not posted soon after the ham becomes a SK, chances are they will not be saved. We are all aging, and each day we lose a little bit of what we remember. So even more important to get it down when fresh, most folks will remember and comment then as it is timely.

Comment nature, quite correct, it can tend to be a bit of a magnet for negative comments on some of the more "colorful" characters, sad but true. Guess we could edit out the negative comments, request only positive.

Storehouse of knowledge, you bet. I love Joe GMS's idea, that is best thing possible.
I shot a video with my friend W1FPZ less than one month before he passed, so glad that I did -->> http://www.youtube.com/user/W1UJR#p/u/2/EV9ljdHLqLg
Would love to do such with all the grand old hams. But in cases where we can't do that, when the folks are already gone and we want to remember who they were and what they did while on planet earth, wonder if we can make a simple topic which all can post to?

This may mesh in well with the good work Joe is doing, offering a single source for what I term "Grand Old Hams". Thinking that we could also use the format we use here for messages, maybe just put them under another section, then fellows can post tidbits and photos to that message, like an open running tribute. Things will peter out after a few months, but the photos and reminisces will remain, hopefully for a long time. Every ham deserves to be remembered by their friends, and those who come after them.

I think the KISS principle applies here, has to be simple for anyone to post to, just like our forum messages.
While we can do that with the current forum setup, I'd like to make certain that the entire topic is protected and does not get nuked because someone posted something improper, we need a "gardener" to monitor, prune and clean up as needed. So I walk my walk and not just talk the talk, I'd happy to do the admin/monitor work, if Gary and the powers that be are interested. Would love to get Joe GMS and Co. in on this as well.

Format something like this:

Subject: Bob Reardon W8EPQ SK Aug 21, 1997

Fellows can fill in the details in the body of the post, each adding as they see fit.
Personal memories.
Attach photos of stations, QSL cards, hamfests, etc.
Who has his homebrewed gear, often a point of pride for many of us.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015