The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:24:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attention Northern Midwest hams: WX--first "gale of November"  (Read 7069 times)
K5UJ
Contributing

« on: October 25, 2010, 08:49:10 AM »

Hams in the upper American and lower Canadian Midwest will be experiencing a forecasted deep low pressure system predicted to be 958 mb with very narrow pressure gradients Tuesday and Wednesday this week.

This is a good time to go around and check guy tension, rotators, and other outdoor maintenance.   Winds expected to be sustained at 30 to 40 mph gusting to 60+ in some locations.   

Why this is bad:   While these winds are not hurricane strength, what does the damage is the extended period of wind and gusts, in some places exceeding 24 hours, that does the damage, by fatiguing vulnerable hardware until there is a failure well into the storm period as the low center moves over the area. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 09:25:14 AM »

I plan to point my antennas into the wind!   Hopefully, everything will stay together after my recent antenna project.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 09:51:05 AM »

Good on you Jack, it looks like you got the antenna maint. done at just the right time.

Rob

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 10:24:34 AM »

Blowing through here this morning. Front came through, overcast, drizzle and winds NNW @ 30 gusting to 50.

Enjoy.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 10:59:47 PM »

958 mb!  That's hurricane strength!

AMI#1684
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 11:32:51 PM »

958 mb!  That's hurricane strength!

Out on Lake Michigan the winds will be able to get that high.  I checked my antennas and am crossing my fingers; my biggest worry is that some big tree will fall on a guy rope and bring down a mast or something.   I guess if that's all that happens I'll be lucky.  I went around and picked up loose stuff outside and secured everything that might blow around.  More from CBS in Chicago:

CHICAGO (WBBM/CBS) – A combination of strong thunderstorms, followed by violent and destructive winds, will make for one of the most dangerous storms in 70 years.

The temperature Monday is expected to climb to 77 degrees under partly sunny skies. But when Tuesday morning comes around, the Chicago area will be slammed with furious thunderstorms as a cold front passes over the area.

Damaging winds will likely be a component of the thunderstorms, and there is a risk of tornadoes, CBS 2’s Mary Kleist reports.

The severe storms are expected to sweep into the area between 4 a.m. and 9 a.m. Tuesday, coming in the form of a squall line, which often means strong straight-line winds. The storms will be at their heaviest during the Tuesday morning rush.

The rain and severe storms will pass out of the area by midday Tuesday, but at that point, high and dangerous winds will roar into the area.

The winds will maintain a sustained speed of 35 to 40 mph, and may gust to 55 mph or more. They will be most severe north of Interstate 88, particularly along the Wisconsin border, Kleist said.

Over Lake Michigan, hurricane-force winds are possible.

After sundown Tuesday, the winds will die down a little bit, only to pick up again after sunrise Wednesday morning.

The National Weather Service advises unsecured objects may become airborne. Falling tree limbs and sporadic power outages can be expected. Travel may become difficult with high profile vehicles becoming difficult to control.

Tree limbs and power lines will also be at risk.

The severe weather system is coming in the form of a cyclone, a low-pressure system of closed, spiraling motion. The system is, in fact, being dubbed the “Great Lakes Cyclone.”

The low barometric pressure in the system is contributing significantly to the severity of the storm. CBS 2’s Megan Glaros says the minimum pressure in the system could drop to an extraordinarily low reading of 960 millibars.

As the storm passes, the temperatures will drop quickly. The forecast high for Thursday is a mere 49 degrees.

Storm To Rank Among The Worst
The National Weather Service reports that based on its records, this will probably be the most powerful storm in 70 years, Kleist said.

The Weather Service has made a list of the worst storms in the Great Lakes region, ranked by how low the barometric pressure dropped.

Still ranking at No. 1, ahead of the storm coming Tuesday, is the Great Ohio Blizzard of Jan. 25-27, 1978. That storm produced winds that gusted up to more than 100 mph, wind chills of -60, and left snow drifts 20 feet high in some areas, according to published reports.

Ohio was the hardest hit in that storm, but the entire Great Lakes region and Ohio Valley were affected. The storm was blamed for more than 70 deaths.

Coming in second is the storm expected to arrive Tuesday.

Ranking third is the Armistice Day Storm of Nov. 11, 1940, which brought a blizzard to much of the Midwest, and a drop from 60-degree temperatures to single-digits in just one day. Up to 26 inches of snow fell in some areas, and the storm was blamed for 144 deaths – many of them duck hunters on the Mississippi River.

Tying for third was the Anniversary Storm of Nov. 10, 1998, which involved winds exceeding 70 mph.

Coming in fourth was the Cyclone of 1913, or the White Hurricane, on Nov. 7-9, 1913. A total of 24 inches of snow fell in some areas, and the blizzard led to the death of more than 250 people and sank 19 ships.

Fifth on the list is the storm on Nov, 10, 1975, which sank the S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald freighter ship in Lake Superior. All 29 crewmembers were killed in the wreck, which inspired a pop song by Gordon Lightfoot.

WQ9E

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 07:27:35 AM »

The squall line went through here just after 5:20 A.M. this morning with two gusts of 73 MPH  according to the data log from the local weather station.  It was 72 degrees at 4:15 when the cat woke me up and now it is down to 59 so the front has passed through.  I could hear small hail hitting our metal roof but the power is on so far and no damage besides a lot of little limbs down.  But the wind is supposed to be picking up most of the morning again with gusts up to 55 MPH before it starts to wind down in the afternoon.  I am in the southern end of the wind zone and things get worse as you go further north.

I have a feeling my wife's parents will not be flying out as planned this afternoon unless the wind drops. 

Rodger WQ9E
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 08:31:44 AM »

Man, look at all the purdy colors!

* Purdy colors.jpg (145.04 KB, 653x507 - viewed 409 times.)
W9GT

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 08:45:48 AM »

I was surprised to see that # 1 storm dubbed the OHIO bilizzard.  It brought Fort Wayne, IN almost to a standstill for 3 days.  We (radio amateurs) manned the EOC and dispatched 4 wheel drive vehicles and military ambulances to assist the local police and sheriff.  Many people were stranded by drifting snow and closed roads.  Rescue vehicles had to go "cross country" to reach people.  One of the few times I ever saw lightning and thunder accompanying a snow storm.  I guess we are only about 15 mi from the OH state line, but that storm was certainly not just in Ohio!!

73,  Jack, W9GT

73, Jack, W9GT
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 09:30:57 AM »

Our summer place in the UP will have high winds through Thursday AM.  Hoping for the best, since its sits up high and gets alot of nasty blow off the big lake.  When the Fitz went down, only gale warnings issued, I believe.  Weather serevice at Marquette has issued Storm Warnings (above gale) for all of Lk Superior and Most of lk Michigan.   Angry

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 10:17:28 AM »

Things have held up here so far but everything sure is blowing around.  When the wind really screams, the 75 m. vertical bends over some but is holding up so far.  The trees are really getting hell.  Had our first power hiccup.  When it started getting light out I went outside and looked at the masts and didn't like what I was seeing so I decided to drop one dipole and put some slack in another one but as I was unlocking the garage to get out a nut driver the sirens went off.  Went inside to hear we were under a tornado warning.  looked at wx radar and decided it would go NE of me so went back outside and put a little slack in the dipoles so the masts aren't dealing with that tension.  By the time I got back in the house the tornado thing was over.  Now it seems to be just wind.  Man I'm glad this isn't happening along with an ice storm.   

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 01:38:42 PM »

Tornado watch thoughout Ohio till at least 4PM.

* Tornado watch.jpg (145.7 KB, 638x484 - viewed 386 times.)
W9GT

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 03:01:32 PM »

Apparently, a tornado touched down near Grabill, IN just NE of Ft Wayne.  Some barns destroyed and trees down, but so far, no casualties noted.  The barns were in an Amish area...so probably will be replaced by tomorrow.   Smiley  Those folks are amazing when it comes to pulling together to help each other.  It appears that my antennas have survived this round, although my wife said there were very high winds at our place.  I work in a small town south of Ft Wayne....Decatur, IN.  We spent 15-20 minutes in the basement after the tornado sirens went off...but no damage around here.

73,  Jack, W9GT

73, Jack, W9GT
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 05:20:47 PM »

There was a tornado in Peotone IL too.  I know a guy there who operates AM in the daytime on 3870.  I hope he is okay.  Glad ur ant. farm okay Jack; yep the Amish are amazing and the rest of society could take a lesson from them.   Things here not as bad as I feared but it ain't over so I'm sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop, i.e. the back end of the storm.

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 06:37:04 PM »

Wow, even on the backside of that system, winds in N Colo. foothills are 50 G54 from W as I write, temps in 40s at 4:40 PM, wind chill in the 20s. The dogs won't go out to take care of business.  Mostly clear, will be in 20s tonight. Can't get on air with antenna open line being blown into steel tower.

I think I saw 29.20 in/hg as it went by.

Hope you guys out east survived OK.

If that sucker went by to our south, we would have been buried in SN.
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 07:02:38 PM »

An F-0 tornado hit just 2 miles east of me in Kokomo, Indiana.  No injuries, but quite a bit of damage.  Wx service confirmed a tornado by looking at the debris field.  Pretty calm here when all this happened at 10 AM and only 1/4 inch in the rain guage.

Our summer home up in the UP of Mich.  will experience 30 - 35 MPH winds with gusts to 60 through Thursday AM.  Still trying to reach the neighbors to see if all is intact.  Guess that's why you have insurance.  This is the second lowest pressure ever recorded in the continental US.  Storm warnings (not gale) in LKs Superior and Mich and WX service says all mariners need to stay in port

(Copper Country)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 07:16:11 PM »

I was starting to think that maybe the worst was over yesterday but the damn thing had even higher winds this afternoon and the low pressure center is way up in Canada. Huh  No disasters here at least; everything held up as far as I can tell but I'll check to be sure when it gets light out in the morning.  We're supposed to get wind off it tomorrow but not as bad (I hope).  Sure hope ur place up north is okay Jeff.

Jeff W9GY

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 07:56:41 PM »

Thanks Rob,

I'm gonna call another fella I know tomorrow afternoon (hopefully after the weather subsides) and ask him to drive by and take a look around.  Major wx system...saw some pixs of big lake frieghters anchored in some safe locations, where you'd never normaly see them.  Lot of the "summer folks" have left the Copper Country, so its a little difficult getting in touch with people.  Planning to take one of my 300 W screen modulated tx's and some decent audio gear up next spring.  That, along with some better antennas, will get me a better signal down here to the "southern areas" of the Midwest.  HI

I've got a T-3 tuner modified to tune a 1/2 wave LW on 160 for starters.  I'll get the 80M DP up to a reasonable heigt, too.  If I get stuff in good order, XYL sez she'll try next winter up there.  Not much left in central Indiana to keep us here. 

We only had about 6 weeks up there this past summer, so will have a lot of time next spring/summer to get things in order.

73 Jeff W9GY

(Copper Country)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 08:19:36 PM »

Jeff that's great; look forward to working you up there; I have an aunt who used to have a place up in n. mich.--summers were delightful, winter ummm you have to like winter (which I do up to a point, not sure where that point is between here and the UP hi hi). 

R.

N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 09:20:27 PM »

Hey Guy's,

Did'nt seem to be all it was "advertised" as.  Not as bad as the
one that got the "Big Fitz" in '75.  Sure glad it wasnt cold....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald

/Dan
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 12:49:08 PM »

Actually worse if you go by the overall pressure drop. A very deep low, indeed. Fortunately there doesn't seem to be the convergence of three systems over the Great Lakes as there was in Nov. '75.

Maybe hard to believe, but we've been feeling the affects here in NC, too. The leading edge of the low pressure system/cold fronts triggered about 14 tornadoes down here yesterday, the closest one being 10-15 miles WNW of here. Tore up a few trailers and took the roofs off a few buildings, F0 and F1 strengths. One house had 10 people in it, no serious injuries. Another with a woman and her dog was picked up and spun around, they were both okay, and a trailer with a woman and 5 kids got tossed and flipped over, just cuts and bumps for injuries.

The Witch of November is early!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 02:33:59 PM »

at least one guy's tower came down:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2010-10/msg00387.html

everything mostly okay here but low band dipole acting strange; i fear wire fatigue & bad connection which will be a drag taking it down and trying to figure out what's wrong.  I'll wait until wind completely dies down though.   

Jeff W9GY

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 02:31:29 PM »

Just got word that all is well with our place up north.  Even my short fiberglass dipole mast stayed up!  That was a mighty serious weather event causing even the big lake freighters to take cover in safe harbor.  60+ MPH gusts up there. Thanks to those who expessed concern.

http://articles.petoskeynews.com/2010-10-26/strong-winds_24223284

I got stranded in this blizzard outside of Marquette for two days during the storm that sank the Daniel J Morrell:

http://lakelandboating.com/morrell/

FWIW My buddy  Don, W9KQD, used to repair the TV set aboard the Fitz (and other laker freighters) when he worked at a TV shop in Superior Wisconsin.

(Copper Country)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 10:25:19 PM »

Jeff, glad ur place okay.  yeah I heard about all the freighters pulled into ports and anchors dropped.  supposed to have been quite a sight.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015