The AM Forum
May 31, 2024, 11:05:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rack blanking panels (airflow or cover type, no-tools) rather cheap  (Read 2954 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: October 26, 2010, 10:12:48 AM »

I thought I'd share this thing I found. Enough times I've needed a rack panel to cover 1U between pieces of equipment or to make my airflow scheme work and either didn't have the right size panel or had one orange and one green one, etc.. Anyway, it is from APC and the part number for a 10-pack is AR8136BLK. They can be found on Amazon and other places for $30-40 for the 10-pack. They are black plastic. They snap in. Anyway it's cheaper than buying aluminum panels and at least they all look alike. I have not bought any yet and I don't know how rugged they are. They are sold for the purpose of airflow control in computer racks.

* panel.PNG (168.06 KB, 789x325 - viewed 460 times.)

Radio Candelstein
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 10:13:53 AM »

Nice find!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 12:07:24 PM »

In my earlier days, I've been known to use duct tape to cover those small slots. (Oh, how JS!) Every 1" of linear space is worth a few db of less blower noise in the room...  :-)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 12:34:05 PM »

" use duct tape "

newspaper and Bondo takes paint nicely.

klc

What? Me worry?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 02:20:37 PM »

Old timers used masonite to make rack panels.  If it was cut neatly and holes properly drilled, once it was painted with black wrinkle it was hard to tell from metal.

You could cut out dummy panels from a corrugated cardboard box and paint it to match the equipment.  It would  acoustically insulate a little, too.  Like masonite, it could be carefully cut and trimmed, and after painting wouldn't look too JS.

If the homeless can make a shelter out of it, certainly a ham could use it to make a rack panel. You could even use it to rack mount one of those little catfood-tin QRP rigs that pass for construction articles in QST.  Grin

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 01:36:37 AM »

That's an idea. There is no shortage of cat food tins here. If none are empty, I can ask a friend to oblige.

Radio Candelstein
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015