The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:03:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ah, the simple things will get ya  (Read 1955 times)
KA8WTK
Contributing

« on: October 20, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »

Lately I noticed things haven't been quite right in the shack. Nothing you could really pin point, but the receivers were sort of deaf. A transmitter would seem to be ok on loading, output and SWR was "OK".
Tonight I tried to use my T-195 for the "What's for Dinner Net" and the old girl just would not auto tune. Two weeks ago it was fine business. So, I pulled the plug and went over to the 32V3. No output. Now what?
After fooling around for a while, I started un-doing all the connectors, inspecting, and putting them back. What I found was the connector on the back of the antenna tuner loose!
Now, I haven't moved that tuner since it was placed on the shelf years ago. Could the connector always have been loose? Could it lossen by itsef? It beats me, but that seems to have been the problem. Just a good thing I haven't had the 4-400 rig on the air recently. That could have been really interesting!
I guess the moral of the story is, don't take anything for granted. Especially the simple things.

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 07:17:14 PM »

Good talking with you tonite, Bill, and that T-195 sounds sweet!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 07:29:05 PM »

When things work it is good! I got out only a few transmissions and then everything went to crap.
As near as I can tell, the T-195 is stock and I am using a carbon mike on it. Hear that dynamotor hummmmm!
Wish it had a solid state supply, but those seem to be rare.

Thanks for the good feedback, John!

Bill

Bill KA8WTK
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 07:49:32 PM »

Bill, if I had a dollar for every time something simple caused me major problems here, I could easily buy another radio or three! To add insult to injury, it's generally made worse by my habit of looking for something far more serious as the cause while ignoring the simple answer.

Those dynamotor rigs have a lot of personality IMO. Something you don't run into much these days, that's for sure.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015