The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:35:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 75m Slopbucketeer gets Lauragram after Station Inspection  (Read 12999 times)
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 12:21:11 PM »

That is certainly an encouraging little statement, given the deluge of consumer electronics that spew all kinds of garbage onto the bands.

"The Federal Communications Commission has received a complaint that an
   electrical device, possibly a faulty doorbell transformer, apparently in
   your home may be causing harmful radio interference to an operator in the
   Amateur Radio Service."

In a discussion with a local AM broadcast engineer last spring it came up that the NAB is becoming quite concerned about interference to their programming and the resultant loss of their listening audience. Currently, it is very difficult for someone who is not part of a licensed service to get the FCC's attention to correct problems from consumer equipment. The NAB is apparently working with FCC enforcement to improve the situation for consumers as they attempt to work out these issues.

Last spring, when I was trying to resolve a noise issue that was blanking out AM reception along a one mile stretch of road in my town, I used the FCC web reporting interface to see how effective it was. I got a canned response from the FCC auto-web-bot that told me that the best resolution was to improve my receive antenna. Ummm... I doubt modifying my car's AM BCB antenna would eliminate the problem. So... I complained again by emailing all the commissioners and enforcement, and received a response from a human, who said someone would be in touch shortly. Sure enough, about 3 days later, I got an email with an attachment telling me that I should modify my receive antenna to improve reception. They have a ways to go with this...

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 10:48:42 PM »

how about writing the BC stations and also citing to the FCC the doorbell letter?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015