The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:54:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dynamic microphones  (Read 1859 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: October 17, 2010, 11:20:05 AM »

The mike on my cheap-o Uniden Pro510XLCB died due to the cable shorting out. I bought an Astatic 636L noise cancelling mike because I had one before, but it does not seem to provide nearly as much modulation. I don't think I am getting 100% anyway. The CB is too cheap to have a mike gain control. The original is a dynamic mike. I discovered the Astatic is a dynamic mike also.

What is the deal with this?
The Astatic spec says: Output Level: -58 dB (0dB = 1 mw/10 microbars); -76dB (0dB = 1 volt/microbar); -152dB EIA Impedance: 200 ohms, matches 50 to 1000 ohms.

I guess I could take the mike back but on the package it said it was for all Uniden radios. I don't want to start messing with nasty type accepted the radio yet.

Fix - swapped the leads on the element. for whatever reason the other mike was more sensitive and the voice polarity did not matter on the cheezy CB band, the RF envelope looked like square waves coming out of that rig anyway. The new mike was pushing negative mod heavily on peaks and that was activating the mod limiter in the radio. The mod limiter acts on negative peak clipping only. No I didn't "cut the diode"!! I don't do CB tricks any more, but I got to have the radio for long road trips.

There. I fixed it. http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015