The AM Forum
May 23, 2024, 04:39:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Reflections III Book - Wow!  (Read 2224 times)
W1UJR
« on: October 06, 2010, 06:58:51 PM »

If you haven't yet picked up a copy of Walt Maxwell W2DU's Reflections III book, I'd strongly consider adding it to your library. Once I saw the front cover, with the classic Johnson Matchbox and section of balanced feedline, I knew all was well. I own and have eagerly read and studied Walt's two earlier works in the Reflections series, I say studied but I can't profess to fully comprehend all of the theory inside. This new and updated edition is published by good folks at CQ Communications, and is nicely printed with clear, crisp text and diagrams.

Nevertheless, despite the depth of material covered, one does not need to be a EE or physics major to understand the important concepts, Walt does a superb job laying those out for you in largely plain English.
Topics are arranged in logical chapters, just like any good reference work should be, so if you want to know just about the Smith Chart, see chapter 10, how a transmatch works - see chapter 17. A few hours spent reading this book should more than serve to dispel any of the questions, or scatter brained antenna theories you all too often hear on the air. Walt's own personal anecdotes and vintage photos from his distinguished career are alone worth the price of admission!

Every ham, even those who buy the "store built" antennas, really should have a basic grasp of antenna theory, and understand the simple concepts of impedance, antenna lengths and the conjugate match. At some point, some thing is going to go wrong with your antenna system, or you may want to add another band of operation to your station, just knowing even some of the basics is going to make those tasks so much easier, and in this ham's opinion, a solid understanding of "why" makes amateur radio so much more enjoyable.

I'm not yet done with the book, still reading, but as I've done in the past, will promise a full review in the books section of this website. In the meantime, take a look at what Walt as offer, there's  lot of meat there!

More at Walt's website -->> http://w2du.com/
Or at the CQ store       -->> http://store.cq-amateur-radio.com/Detail.bok?no=183

-Bruce

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 08:44:40 PM »

A copy of Walt's book, and a copy of Laport's antenna engineering book, what else would you need for understanding low-band wire antennas?

Of course, in addition, a library of IRE and IEEE Proceedings wouldn't hurt either.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »

Low Band DXing by ON4UN - the best book on antennas for these bands, bar none. It covers other stuff too, but is heavy on antennas.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:14:45 PM »

Don't forget  Tom Vu's Gotham Vertical Handbook.  It's been out of print since 1964, but a must read for anyone looking to appreciate what they have now, no matter how modest.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 10:40:52 PM »

Steve said:
Low Band DXing by ON4UN - the best book on antennas for these bands, bar none. It covers other stuff too, but is heavy on antennas.

Good stuff in there for "LO-FING".

Tom said:
Don't forget  Tom Vu's Gotham Vertical Handbook.  It's been out of print since 1964, but a must read for anyone looking to appreciate what they have now, no matter how modest.

I though I saw that one sitting in at Barnes & Noble somewhere in the 'Real Estate' section!  Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015