The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:35:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: recording audio off the air  (Read 6591 times)
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« on: September 17, 2010, 12:33:53 PM »

This is a question for the guys that record another stations audio for either direct playback or archiving. Not so much a question of connecting to the rx/tx, but more about equipment preferences.

Do you like actual dedicated hardware like a reel to reel (I love old school) or an ADAT machine or other cassette based ordeal? Or do you prefer a PC based approach? If it's a computer based system you prefer, what software do you use/like/dislike?

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 12:34:48 PM »

Computer

Audacity
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 03:40:41 PM »

how do you record audio from a boatanchor RX to a computer?  I'd like to be able to do that..
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 05:00:07 PM »

I tap or use the diode detector and run it straight to the line-in of the computer. A hi-Z buffer amp or a series resistor of a few hundred-k works well too. You may need to use the mic-in with this set up.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 05:33:09 PM »

Use a battery operated recorder or laptop on battery power to avoid ground loop hum.

I prefer the Sony MiniDisc recorder.  Pity they are becoming unobtanium.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 01:36:33 AM »

Use a battery operated recorder or laptop on battery power to avoid ground loop hum.

I prefer the Sony MiniDisc recorder.  Pity they are becoming unobtanium.

Or use a 1:1 audio xfrmr for isolation.

AMI#1684
KF5FWU

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 07:36:53 AM »

I also use the computer with audacity,, have for years now. The newest audacity file converts the file to mp3 by itself,, so it's real easy to upload.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 10:01:49 AM »

"Hear hear" on Audacity. You'll need to grab one plugin (also free) for the MP3 export functionality, but once you've got it, it just works.

"To MP3 or not to MP3" is a matter of taste/preference. They take up tons less space, but are a less-faithful reproduction. Storage space is cheaper than unwashed dirt these days.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 12:08:10 PM »

Minor hijack here. I tried to get that MP3 plugin to work. First Windows did not know what it was. I think it is a ZIP. I downloaded PK-ZIP which opened it but I can seem to get it to combine with Audacity.

Any hints where I'm going wrong?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
WQ9E

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 12:13:07 PM »

I used to use a reel to reel (Akai GX-400D) which looks cool with the rest of the station but I switched to Audacity for convenience.  These days the deck is just used with some vintage SS audio gear in the parlor radio room.  

I use an audio transformer to couple to the laptop, so far no problems.

* GX-400d.JPG (311.54 KB, 800x1200 - viewed 300 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
KA1ZGC
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 12:21:25 PM »

Minor hijack here. I tried to get that MP3 plugin to work. First Windows did not know what it was. I think it is a ZIP. I downloaded PK-ZIP which opened it but I can seem to get it to combine with Audacity.

Any hints where I'm going wrong?

Hmm... what version of Windows are you running? XP has ZIP support built-in.

It's been a while since I installed it, but if it's just a ZIP file, there should be a setup program contained within. If it's a self-extracting ZIP file, you can just run it like a normal application (double-click the mofo) and it should install itself.

If I recall correctly, I only needed to install the plugin and restart Audacity. If you catch me on the air, remind me and we'll walk through it.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »

XP Home Tom & I finally got it working.

Thanks

WA3VJB
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 03:12:59 PM »

Open Reel(s), at least to start with.
I don't believe in convenience.  : )
There's something about watching those big reels keep on turnin' as part of the operating experience.

The Otari 5050 machine I use has several memory buttons. In an hour's worth of tape, I can hit a memory button when "good" material is underway, and go back to it later to render as an MP3 or an uncompressed .wav file, depending on how critical the fidelity must be.

I use Apple SoundTrack Pro to take the audio output of the open reel machine and convert it to digital for a CD or an email attachment. One Heavy Metal Rally I made a long-running CD that I use on road trips, playing it in the dashboard player on the car system. Excellent.

I've tried "audacity" on an XP laptop and it works very well. 

I used to use a reel to reel (Akai GX-400D) which looks cool with the rest of the station but I switched to Audacity for convenience.  These days the deck is just used with some vintage SS audio gear in the parlor radio room.  

I use an audio transformer to couple to the laptop, so far no problems.

KD3CN
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 06:39:47 PM »

For processing audio, if you have a PC with an audio card anywhere near the shack, it's just plain crazy not to use it to do your recording or other tasks, whatever software you're using.  Personally I use Cool Edit for Windows.  You can choose from the free stuff or comercial software, but your PC (or Mac) will do a great job.
73, Karl  KD3CN
w1vtp

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 12:33:24 PM »

I vote for straight off the air using some sort of RX with a direct digital connection to a computer.  We have one notable application in that case who has recorded many hours of QSOs that way and is a trusted source of high quality recordings.

However, one exception I can think right away is Nick, KG2IR who uses an analog RX going to (I think) not a tape but some sort of digital recorder. I would consider Nick a trusted source of over the air recordings.

I NEVER play back my recordings over the air to avoid any artifacts that my transmitter might impose on the recording playback.  I always send the recording to the receipent via email.  Even then I first listen to the recording using a high performance headset to make sure what I'm sending is accurate.  I think it's a disservice to represent someone via a recording while introducing "extras" (make that artifacts).  Many of these guys will go to he!! and back to get things just right.

Actually, it's best to get a setup to do one's own recordings on a high quality recorder and then play it back on high performance headphones.  This eliminates bone conduction issues.  Then you are your own judge of what you put out over the air.

Al
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 07:59:14 PM »

Another thing to keep in mind is the receiver. If the IF is narrow and/or the AGC is too fast, has overshoot, etc, no matter what you record it with, the audio will suck.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 04:17:54 PM »

Me being new to Audacity, didn't know crap about how to do anything with it. Make sure you have the latest 1.3.12 beta version as the older ones like I've played with do not have some of the editing functions.

This YouTube video will get you started and then on the right side of your screen on the page that is playing his tutorial, you'll see other helpful videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbqJVC6kQ50

Just doing my part trying to help save the world. Think brown as opposed to green.

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 08:50:43 AM »

Terry if you are gg to operate boatanchors you need a boatanchor recording method  Wink   Reel to reel ReVox; no messing around with unpacking a zip file hi hi.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015