The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 10:39:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Info on Short Verticals  (Read 6028 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:14:45 PM »

Thanks to John - K5PRO, a good article on the performance of short vertical antennas from the 1947 IRE Proceedings is now available on The AM Window.

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/gen.htm

Scroll to the bottom.

Enjoy.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 02:18:21 PM »

Steve,
Great article. 

While  we are talking about short verticals, another Ham who did a lot of work on short verticals was Jerry Sevick (sp) W2FMI (SK).  He authored several really good books on the subject.  I use to work Jerry on 160 back in the 70's and 80's and he always had an outstanding signal.  He became an expert in low loss ferrite matching schemes for his short verticals. 
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Fred k2dx

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 08:25:05 PM »

Jerry Sevick also had at least two good articles in QST about very surprising results using short verticals. This was in the mid/late sixties as I recall. The articles were written about controlled experiments, pre PC days. They would still be valid reading today. 
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 08:35:11 PM »

Jerry Sevick also had at least two good articles in QST about very surprising results using short verticals. This was in the mid/late sixties as I recall. The articles were written about controlled experiments, pre PC days. They would still be valid reading today. 

All were in the 70's. For the complete list of QST Sevick articles, go here (Of course , only works if you're a member):
http://www.arrl.org/pubindex/search/page:1/Merged.name:sevick/Merged.pubs:QST;QEX;Ham%20Radio;NCJ/model:Merged

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 08:46:40 PM »

One of the most important thing to take from the article is the need for ground radials. The shorter the antenna, the greater the need for radials.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 08:52:40 PM »

One of the most important thing to take from the article is the need for ground radials. The shorter the antenna, the greater the need for radials.

But don't the ads for commercially manufactured "short" verticals (<20' for 80m) claim extraordinary DX capability and that no radials are necessary?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 09:16:33 PM »

My experience with the  Gotham vertical is scientific proof that no radials are needed...

...unless you want to talk to someone besides yourself.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 11:02:44 PM »

My experience with the  Gotham vertical is scientific proof that no radials are needed...

...unless you want to talk to someone besides yourself.

T
Nor signal!

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 11:23:57 PM »

It's a great article. The old articles debunk specious marketing claims.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 07:42:28 PM »

Ed Goodman N5UG(?) in Texas has been manufacturing short verticals for the B'cast industry and may still be offering his CTSVR for amateur radio. 160,80,40M Legal limit.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/533

I think I purchased mine in the middle 90's and many were surprised that a short vertical was working that well. It was overbuilt and a little expensive, but it went through some very bad storms and ice and never failed.

I now have a cheap Cushcraft MA160V and I'll be experimenting with elevated radials this season
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015