The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Made the big haul today! Couple of Questions...  (Read 4347 times)
N8UH
Contributing

« on: August 28, 2010, 01:38:47 AM »

Drove to AZ today to pick up my goodies from Dennis (Thanks!)
As you can see in the pic, it was a lot of big, heavy stuff. Mod and plate trannys, mod reactor, 4X1s, etc. Plenty of stuff to keep me busy for a long time! Smiley

Got the iron into my shack, where it will rest for a while until I get things going. I tested the Mod Transformer and it's a 1.4:1 turns ratio or 2:1 impedance step-down if I did things right. So now it's time to start figuring things out modulator-wise. Looks like 833s or 4-400s could be in my future! Grin

Then I tested the plate tranny, but got a bit confused. There is the assortment of taps between 208 and 245V. I get that - different line voltage taps. Then there is a tap with a "0", and another with "CB" I put 24VAC through the 0 and 245V taps and got 340VAC out. Wondering what the CB tap did, I put the same 24V through it and the 245 tap, and got 240V out. So the voltages would be 3400 and 2400 out respectively. The question is, what is the CB tap, and what is the 0 tap? Which one is the "right" one to use as a common, or is there a right one at all???

Thanks!

* unpacked.jpg (195.75 KB, 1024x576 - viewed 474 times.)

-Tim
n2bc
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 08:37:59 AM »

Just a guess...   CB = CutBack   or the low power setting on the original TX.   Wring it out with a good ohmmeter.
sndtubes
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 10:05:31 AM »

With an input of 208 VAC, it sounds like it might be a 3 phase transformer.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 10:55:30 AM »

Could it be that "CB" stands for 'Common Bond'?

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 11:18:14 AM »

N2BC got it right.  It is the tap used for power cutback. 

It was fun getting the mod trans out of our ride into his, 300+ pounds! Tongue

QRO a GO GO.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 04:25:10 PM »

Whoo hoo!  Don'tja just love big parts?   Cheesy 

Re: the 0 tap, the answer that is, what to do with it, depends (obviously) on whether it's on the primary or secondary (or both); which is it?

rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 05:15:07 PM »

Thats man size iron! My big mod xfmr weighs 385# in oil and rated at 7400W. Couldnt find anything smaller in the 1000-1500W range but at least it doesnt worry about small mismatches.

I still need plastic sockets and chimneys for a 4x1

Carl
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 07:04:11 PM »

just re-read the original post--sorry I didn't get it sooner--the 0 on the primary is the "neutral" or center tap.  Let's say you have your standard single phase house service on the primary:  two 120 v. hots, one on each end of the primary winding to get you your 240 v.--you can use the 0 tap for any thing you want to power in the rig that runs on 120 v.   It might be a blower for example.  The blower's hot line connects to one of the 120 v. hots and its neutral return connects to the 0 tap (but you absolutely do not connect that 0 point to a real neutral return to your breaker panel).   

I would not draw a lot of power from one side of primary without an equal load on the other.  You are okay with something small though.   I have also heard of guys with high watt variacs but that are 120 v. jobs, using them between one hot side and 0 on a 240 v. primary to bring up a rig slowly.  Now that seems electrically unbalanced so I'm interested in reading what someone with experience in this has to say.   Perhaps I am over cautious. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 01:35:53 AM »

Nah, it is not wound that way.  The cutback tap is on the other side of the 'O' (common), but the winding is not symmetrical nor is it center tapped.  It is just a bit more winding on the primary to allow a lower secondary output via relay selection for 250- or 500-Watt output.

The BC-1H transmitter had no 120-Volt demand.  All transformers in it were to use 230-Volt service, with a ground only and no neutral. 

Also with that arrangement you could use it on two legs of a 208-Volt 3-phase if necessary with the provided taps.

Just pacing the Farady cage...
N8UH
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 02:07:10 AM »

Thanks guys! Sounds like a convenient way to lower power. A relay or two, and a discreet switch on the front panel labeled "STRAP" Grin

-Tim
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 01:34:21 PM »

Tim(othy),

Wow,  that Dahl Iron sure looks great and ample.

I even love the look of that floor .. very nice !

Have Fun,  Vic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015