The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:06:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool weather coming!  (Read 11381 times)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« on: August 24, 2010, 07:34:41 AM »

Whoo hoo!!! High temp forecast for today 97F @ 100% humidity...

Low tonight... 70F @ 70% humidity!!!!! WHOOHOOO!!!! Our first cool front!!!

Now, if the static levels will just drop some more.

AMI#1684
K5WLF
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:16:34 AM »

We got up to 104° yesterday. Forecast for 94° today and 92° by the end of the week. I'm ready for an early fall. Had way too much of summer this year.

ldb
K5WLF
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:19:18 AM »

Wow, it's HOT where you are!  Up here in New England we had possibly the best summer of the past decade.  Lots of sun, not too much rain and nice and warm much of the time (particularly July - very nice month).

It hasn't been what I would call unusually warm up here - just about right for summer.

Has it been unusually hot in the south and south-west?  I thought it was supposed to be hot there in the summer  Grin  Back in the '60s, we lived in southern Connecticut, and I do recall some days there where the temp broke 100 during the summer - and that was only Connecticut - and WAY before "Global Warming"  Tongue

Just like it gets very cold here (on the New Hampshire border) in the winter.  NOT looking forward to that - but, after all, it IS New England - and it's supposed to get cold here  Wink

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:56:31 AM »

Yep, that's kept me off the air the last few weeks since getting the station working again. Even listening is a struggle most night, as there always seems to be a T-storm somewhere within 500 miles or so.

It's been running 5-6 degrees above normal here for the last month or so. Summer started out cool and dry for the first month, then the rain, humidity, and heat arrived. A few days at or over 100 in Raleigh and surrounding areas. They're saying low-mid 80s through the weekend, 60s-low 70s at night. Hope the wx and reasonable temps hold for Shelby next week.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 02:29:32 PM »

We've only had one day since July 31 when it hasn't been above 100F here in Dallas.

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 03:10:12 PM »

The water at the beach hit 76 this summer. I love global warming
Yes, one nice summer.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 03:13:28 PM »

Up here in New England we had possibly the best summer of the past decade.  Lots of sun, not too much rain and nice and warm much of the time (particularly July - very nice month).

It hasn't been what I would call unusually warm up here - just about right for summer.

Spent last week on Cape Cod.  Beautiful weather and a tremendous relief from the triple digits and high humidity. The nice wx followed us home; the temperature and humidity dropped for several days after we returned.  The past couple of days have been better, too.

Back in the '60s, we lived in southern Connecticut, and I do recall some days there where the temp broke 100 during the summer - and that was only Connecticut - and WAY before "Global Warming"  Tongue

Global warming is like the sunspot cycle.  We won't know for sure until after the fact.  Everything else is speculation at best.  But those self-appointed experts who were loudly proclaiming that the past cold winter was proof that global warming is a fraud, are conspicuous by their silence regarding this year's hot summer. Of course, one seasonal extreme is meaningless in consideration of long term trends.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 03:41:43 PM »

went fishing out in LI Sound this past weekend.  Fell overboard.  I couldn't believe how warm the water was.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Barrie
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 04:10:43 PM »

We had our first frost last night.

Barrie, W7ALW, Missoula, Montana
Burt
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 05:46:39 PM »

As a ham you would think you just might want to be accurate
No place on earth (outside) has a dewpoint of 97, best would be about 82.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 08:06:24 PM »

http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-23308.html

I've read in the Internet that the World record has been measured next to the coast of the Red Sea in Eritrea and is about 94 degrees F or 34 degrees C.

I have been there.  It got pretty damn hot. Said to be one of the hottest places on earth. But I actually lived up on the plateau @ 7600 ft. altitude. Spring like climate year round.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 08:14:48 PM »

Dew point... is that the same as relative humidity?  My info came from weather.com aka the weather channel... they often report our humidity as 100%.

When it drops down to 80% rH here it feels DRY.  I'm 30 miles by crow to the Gulf of Mexico.

AMI#1684
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 10:56:01 PM »

Starting at a given RH, at a higher temperature, when the temperature drops belaw a certain point the air becomes saturated with moisture (100% humidity) and condensation (dew) forms.  This assumes a constant amount of moisture in the air and a constant atmospheric pressure.

This is what craps out transformers that are stored in unheated sheds.  You have a cold snap, and the iron in the transformer reaches ambient temperature, which may be close to freezing.  Then the wx pattern changes, and warm gulf air comes in, but the thermal inertia keeps the iron at a cooler temperature for several hours, and the transformer sweats like a glass of cold beer on a hot summer day. Repeated  over numerous cycles, the iron turns to rust, even though it was stored in a "dry" place.

http://www.weatherquestions.com/What_is_dewpoint_temperature.htm

Since temperature, volume, relative humidity and pressure are all interrelated (the only constant is the amount of moisture in a given mass of air), the calculation of dew point is not a simple mathematical calculation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point

- - -
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 12:50:17 AM »

Don, what does this mean as far as Burt's reference to "No place on earth (outside) has a dewpoint of 97, best would be about 82."

I was saying the humidity was 100%, (according to weather.com) but Burt inferred that I was not "accurate".

AM I WRONG?  I HATE BEING WRONG!! But If I truly am, I would like to know. Smiley

AMI#1684
K3ZS

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 11:02:30 AM »

If the relative humidity is 100% then the dew point is the same as the temperature, that is what he was saying.    The dewpoint is the best indication of comfort due to humidity.    Below 60 is comfortable, 60-70 more uncomfortable, above 70 - unbearable.    One good indication of predicted dewpoint in the Summer is the night time low temperature.    It is usually around the dewpoint temperature.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 01:24:35 PM »

When it's 100% humidity, doesn't that mean it is raining or at least a dense fog?  During rains, the local weather site often gives the humidity at 100%, but not always.  But when it is raining or foggy, the temperature usually drops. I don't think I have ever experienced rain while the temp was in triple digits.

Maybe you could search around on some of the weather-related websites for information from the experts.

PS:

When dew appears, usually surface temperatures are lower than the air temperature, so everything may be wet with dew while the air is crystal clear.  The same thing happens in winter with frost (which is nothing but frozen dew).  It often frosts when the temperature is in the mid and even high 30s, well above freezing.  But that's because surface temperatures have dropped below the air temperature.

Often in the winter, only some of the windows of the car are frosted up in the morning while others are completely clear.  Inevitably, the ones that frost up are the windshield and windows on the driver's side - Murphy's Law in action.

- - -
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 08:50:28 PM »

I cannot believe the Summer in parts of the USA and Russia. Heat index of 55 C ooops got into metrics here.

And I will have to say that our time away has its moments here in the Philippines. Somedays the Sun feels like it's 2 feet from my head. And it's always near 90. Heat index feels like 104 F. And there have been days here that are very tolerable. I can do things, climb the steep hill to the in-laws and not even sweat!!

I did not bring any electronic thermometers to measure temp and humidity. It would make me feel worse.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 09:16:18 PM »

At least we've had a very nice... mostly cool summer up here in the North East.
Very few days over 90F.
58F here right now in Verminmont.

Rain is what we need, only 1.25" over the last week or so.... not nearly enough.

What does being a ham have to do with being accurate?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015