The AM Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:00:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Last Nite - K7YOO & K5UJ heard Q5 in NY  (Read 4120 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« on: August 29, 2010, 02:34:54 PM »

Just thought I'd mention that I heard Skip K7YOO in QSO with K5UJ (iirc) and some others in the evening... Also heard Grant out in Delaware Ohio but not so strong... good conditions!

Cheesy

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 07:49:05 PM »

Returned from an evening out, and 75m was quiet, almost winter-like.  But very few signals on, AM, SSB or CW.  I called several CQs between 3705 and 3725, but the best I could do was a PW station with low modulation, never quite got his callsign.  Moved up to the Ghetto and tried again on 3880 and worked N8UUH.  Strapping signal on both ends with negligible QRN.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 11:59:26 PM »

Hey Bear tnx 4 sig rept.  I wonder sometimes how the dipole gets out to the east.  I think I was the QRP station last night with Skip, Robert VMC, Grant W4BVT, Dave W9AD, Steve W9SWR and several others there on 3880.  Condx were great even with some contest gg on due to nice wx and propagation so it was a real nice revolving door Saturday evening.  Jack K9ACT was in there for a few minutes with a new homebrew class D 100 w. s.s. rig.  Sounded great.  I had to check out after two hours--I was so tired I was starting to babble and when I catch myself doing that I flip the switch and hit the hay.  I hope this is a sign of a good fall and winter.  A few trees here are already starting to show color and it's still August.  Too bad they don't have an affect on propagation. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 06:33:05 PM »

Rob, I heard you down here a few nights ago louder than I've ever heard you before. You were on 75 and I think someone was trying to dump a carrier on you and Dave W9AD but you were both strapping it. you had it by at least 20db. At one point you were 40 over S9 here in NC.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 08:41:27 PM »

Wow Todd tnx the check is in the mail  Grin  Good condx lift all boats or as Jerry Reed put it When you're hot you're hot  Cheesy

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 09:12:16 PM »

I heard Bear and WA2PJP at around noon on Sunday. Not bad for about a 300+ mile shot at mid-day on 75 meters.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 11:01:59 PM »

I remember that happening a few years back, Steve. I didn't start hearing you until dark generally, but at 1 or 2 in the afternoon, there you were on 80 down around 3725. Autumn conditions aren't too far off now, and daylight is always waning.

Rob, you were clear as a bell here. I have a pretty quiet location out this way which might help some, but the night you were on it didn't matter. You and Dave were both squashin' the dead air maker. Quite a difference from when we tried to work on 40 last year!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:11:19 PM »

The Beverage was the trick. On the dipole I could hear those guys but they were right at the noise and sometimes in it. One the Beverage, they were Q5 and FB.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 10:56:32 AM »

No Huz.... that's Hi Hi FB OM!!

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 01:10:47 PM »

Wish I had room for a beverage.   But, the small rotatable loop I have now with an ICE preamp is a lot better than the transmit antennas under certain circumstances. 

Yep, condx getting better all right, but I'm still amazed you heard me that well Todd--the dipole isn't that high--one end hits 50 feet but the other end around 40 feet because the ground slopes up to it.   Well anyway, next time you hear us break right in--we had guys breaking in Saturday night from the east coast, a N2 station in N.J. I recall, and another guy back east somewhere.  I think both were running Ranger power levels so they weren't real strong but we could copy them when the QRMtest wasn't bad.

There have been a few weird times when I have heard medium wave skywave in the mid-day on a car radio.  I remember once when I was down in Mississippi hearing WLS in Chicago on a sunny day in the early afternoon.   That is very unusual and may have coincided with some kind of solar CME or X-ray flare.

Rob

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015