The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 06:50:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mountain Talk  (Read 3570 times)
WQ9E

« on: July 01, 2010, 01:12:04 PM »

There is no AM but ham radio receives a lot of mention in the documentary, "Mountain Talk" which is currently running on the Documentary channel.  Quite a bit of footage of a ham operator running his Ten Tec (prior to computer control) rig.  Anyone who likes the southern mountains will probably find this look at Appalachian cultural history interesting. 

I am heading to the Smokies next month and looking at the area and its people I am anxious to get back sooner.

Rodger WQ9E
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 08:43:07 PM »

There is no AM but ham radio receives a lot of mention in the documentary, "Mountain Talk" which is currently running on the Documentary channel.  Quite a bit of footage of a ham operator running his Ten Tec (prior to computer control) rig.  Anyone who likes the southern mountains will probably find this look at Appalachian cultural history interesting. 

I am heading to the Smokies next month and looking at the area and its people I am anxious to get back sooner.

hey Rodger ... iffin you ain't in too bigga hurry, drop on down to Athens and say howdy ...73 ...John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 09:58:03 PM »

Hi John,

I will get in touch in a few weeks when we are closer to leaving and have planned out our schedule to see if it meshes with your schedule, it would be fun to meet you in person.  I was thinking about taking Anna down to Rock City one day to experience some classic Americana and you are very close to that route.  I remember going there in 1965 when I was a little one and of course I remember all of the barns with the See Rock City advertising. 

We are going to be camping in the Cosby area of the national park (far eastern edge) but with all of the rain in that part of the park we need to get away and dry out once in awhile Smiley

Rodger

Rodger WQ9E
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 05:08:44 PM »

John, 

Sorry we didn't make it down to see you but our trip had to be shortened a bit.  I got tied up with work stuff for a few extra days followed by discovering and having to replace a leaking transfer case seal on the pickup and then we left TN early to avoid the rain moving into the mountains.  I hope to catch up with you on our next trip and also finally take our daughter down to "See Rock City" as all of the barn signs advise Smiley

We had a great trip but it was the hottest I can ever remember in the mountains.  Anna took her first longer hike (she is now 6) and the 4.8 mile round trip was a little longer after we had to backtrack and detour due to a very determined rattlesnake who would not move off the trail.  But she also got to see a bear on the trail which was a first for her.   On the return trip we took about 2 hours to cover 20 miles near Berea, Kentucky after I-75 was temporarily closed due to a serious accident.  When you transfer all of the I-75 traffic to US-25 the result isn't pretty but local law enforcement was out in force directing/controlling traffic and they did a wonderful job under lousy conditions (including extreme heat coupled with heavy rain).

* Still at Chimneys.JPG (550.38 KB, 1620x1080 - viewed 478 times.)

* Bear.JPG (750.42 KB, 1620x1145 - viewed 453 times.)

* Rattles.JPG (1005.1 KB, 1620x1146 - viewed 422 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 12:43:31 AM »

Nice pictures there. Y'all were out in the woods allright to see them critters..

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »

ok Rodger ....catch you next time ....73

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print