The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 01:47:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack Of Reading Material  (Read 9873 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: July 23, 2010, 08:18:32 AM »

We're making it through our visit ok in the Philippines. I think it's hotter there than here.
Shopping through major malls here and not one magazine about Radio, Ham Radio, Short Wave listening, etc. I'm getting tired of reading the one QST mag I brought here. Just one of the shortcomings in my travel plans.

I don't want to go down the list....................30 days left

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 08:35:01 AM »

Fred, you need a subscription to ER.  Best mag. in the world. Grin

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:43:59 AM »

Well Fred, if your going to retire there as you once indicated, your going to have to import your way of living. Please post some pictures or perhaps you have a link to some on line source for picture storage.

I use Picasa. I don't know of a better systems having tried them all. Best yet, its free up to 1 GB of space and 20 GB is only 5 bucks a year.

Stamp collecting was my earliest vision of the world beyond the fields of PA where I was raised.

I would be interested in seeing their power distribution system. Don't get yourself arrested as a spy Grin Grin Grin 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 06:05:25 PM »

Hi Fred,
I can tell your ready to come home.  Your story reminds me when I was a kid around 13 or 14 years old and just new into radio. My Mom and Dad would drag me on "vacation".  It was always around the time I had built some new rig and the bugs needed to be worked out on it.  I was a bad kid and at that point made the vacation less than pleasant Wink in hopes they would come home early. 

It sounds like a place you should not retire to!

Regards,
Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 07:36:54 PM »

Fred

News of the 7.x earthquake just crossing the 'wires'. Hope all is well.

Jay

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 07:44:19 PM »

Hi Fred,
I can tell your ready to come home.  Your story reminds me when I was a kid around 13 or 14 years old and just new into radio. My Mom and Dad would drag me on "vacation".  It was always around the time I had built some new rig and the bugs needed to be worked out on it.  I was a bad kid and at that point made the vacation less than pleasant Wink in hopes they would come home early. 

It sounds like a place you should not retire to!

Regards,
Joe, W3GMS   

Joe, you musta been around the USA shack in my madness getting ready for this. A lot of leftover Ham radio and Flinstone radio show stuff. That nice big Wheatstone console I bought off of Gary.
I have subscriptions to mags, but they're being delivered to our home address. I shudda brought a lot of back issues of ER and QST.

Terry, thanks for the free link........Setting that up for some pics will give me something to do. I'll use this thread to give the link. The infrastructure is really scray......really. The worst timing of maximum heat the power goes out.........at least three hours, even in the big malls here. The tropical Sun is very hot on the old bald head.

I have another thread pointing out the disappointment with Ham radio here. 40M seems to be the focus. But my meager 100 w and a portable vertical. S-9 over noise. Prolly the electrical system. I'm set up on a hill where we might build. 200 feet abbove sea level. Beautiful view, the Philippine Sea, etc. At least a 100 feet from other houses.
We went to a 'mega-mall' Ace hardware and got materials to construct a 40M dipole. Lotta strange looks as I'm describing what I'm building. Horiz antenna might get the noise down. Trying the digital modes in the next day or two.
The dream::::A Yagi 60 feet high for the upper bands and a two element beam for 40M and legal limit here of 2KWPEP and I'll have a station............but not now. Loop type antennas for the 160-80..... Space limitations.....try to keep the spheric noise down.
NO AM here..........I might be the first, but it will have to be with real power. Everything is DX from here. I feel like Bill, KD0HG.........but we're longer DX...............hi
I have been spoiled by the lovely USA and thousands of Ham ops.

I'm tapping my toes to the Flintstone show SAT morning 7AM on streaming internet. 7415  WBCQ would not make it this far with present condx.
Now I know IF WE MOVE HERE that larger systems and intense planning must be in place.
I'm doing ok...........family stuff......it's good.........dipole antenna might hook some aether activity. Ham bands get quiet around 9PM............MaNature makes a lot of noise here
I attached a little pic. You can see a mild version of the mess here. I'll us Picaso for more.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 09:53:41 PM »

Let's try this. Apparently cannot attach when editing.

* Picture 460_1.jpg (485.21 KB, 800x600 - viewed 526 times.)

Fred KC4MOP
ka3zlr
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 10:33:02 PM »

Aaah...Shussh..  Fred who was the first guy I talked too when I came home an couldn't
move much because I was too frail...You hang in there forget about radio enjoy that
Family time OM and make Memories..........We're not going no where Smiley

Jack.

W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 12:50:28 AM »

Holy Smokes!!  Shocked

Look at that phone pole in the background. If the whole place is wired like that, I can understand the noise level.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 01:05:32 AM »

Ya know, sitting here thinking about it. How about a flex used on remote located here in the US. Know any hams living on a hill with a bunch of property?

Nice little business op for certain people with great locations. $35 a month and they can make sure the radio keeps working and the antenna stays up. Cust supplies their own flex radio and pays for the internet and mains connection. 

Shoot I would be all over that. My property is so small, I have to walk out in the street to change my mind.  Tongue

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 10:01:56 AM »

Ah yes, Jollibee, still the kids' favorite  Grin

Fred, in my experience Filipinos aren't avid readers anyway.  I can't tell how many of my wifes' friends places I've been to that had NO books or magazines at all.  None.  Not even a cookbook.  Makes for a dull visit when they're all ragchewing in Tagalog...

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 09:26:38 AM »

The Dipole did the trick!!!!!!
40M  dipole up about 40 feet between two coconut trees. Finally made a rough contact with V85AN Azril from Brunei. The NW part of Indonesia.
Signals booming in S9 over and the noise was S4 instead of S9.
Checked other bands, 75M had some SSB not like the USA and no space to chat. and 160M dead...........I cannot tune antenna to go below what it was cut for.
A definite improvement over the last couple of weeks

Fred
Pics to follow and I'll give a link to Picaso for the big picture.

Fred KC4MOP
w1vtp

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 04:16:08 PM »

YES! Send pics (or link to same) Grin
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 04:37:18 PM »

For those of you who do not have a good picture organizer, nothing beats Picasa IMHO.

http://picasa.google.com/intl/en/

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 09:02:59 PM »

Fred, dipoles are great aren't they?   Grin

Can you get on 20 m.?  Try checking into the SEAN, the Southeast Asia Net at 2400 Z on 14.320.  It will be USB of course  Sad  Oh well...

When I was stationed in Busan Korea it was a highlight of my operating experience. 

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
ka3zlr
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 09:12:31 PM »

The Dipole did the trick!!!!!!
40M  dipole up about 40 feet between two coconut trees. Finally made a rough contact with V85AN Azril from Brunei. The NW part of Indonesia.
Signals booming in S9 over and the noise was S4 instead of S9.
Checked other bands, 75M had some SSB not like the USA and no space to chat. and 160M dead...........I cannot tune antenna to go below what it was cut for.
A definite improvement over the last couple of weeks

Fred
Pics to follow and I'll give a link to Picaso for the big picture.

Hello Fled,  Cheesy

Good Job man....kewell... I might not copy you But I will Listen..for ya. Fire up my Rec-Pre-Amps

No harm in trying OM Smiley

I'll need time an Freq Please.

Jack.

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 06:20:04 AM »

Hi All
I sent Tom, K1JJ an email to see if he would be game to try to setup a sched. Last winter was a hoot with his 20 over signals into Iraq with his aether blaster. Philippines and the time difference might be pushing it.

I'll try to start monitoring and calling on 7150. The lower end is extemely busy with very powerful foreigners. (German,Chinese,Japenese?? Never ID and using break-in. 40M loaded with very strong SW B'cast above 7180.
 7095 is the Philippine evening group meeting.
It was like night and day going building an HB ACE hardware aerial. Zip cord and 80M of rope and a plastic -T for the feedpoint. I'm glad I sent my MFJ analyzer.
My brother-in-law is getting a possible bug and asked about the other bands. Using terms like 40 Meters and 20 Meters connects with the Metric measurements used here.
Sooooooooo, we're going to attempt to hang an addtional wire from the feedpoint lower than the 40M and try to use 20M. There may be some interaction...dunno....I'd hate to go thru a lot of extra pruning to get 20M running.
Not enough coconut trees around to run the 20M element perpindicular to the 40M wire.

This lesson hurt coz I bought the Ventenna HFp portable vertical. And I couldn't do zip with that. $179 not well spent. Noise levels S9+ and no chance of contact. MFJ said it was perfect.........The radio didn't even like it. Never could get more than 40Watts SSB. No matter where I tune on the dipole 100 W. I don't understand. Some aspect of the vertical that caused the radio to foldback???

Any way the vertical was probably pissweak signal skipping over possible contacts......dunno.
Thanks for reading
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
w1vtp

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 02:18:20 PM »

Hi All
<snip>

Sooooooooo, we're going to attempt to hang an addtional wire from the feedpoint lower than the 40M and try to use 20M. There may be some interaction...dunno....<snip>

Fred

You could connect the 20 m dipole to the feed for the 40 m and droop it a little lower - use the same coconut tree, just droop it.  It's called a "fan dipole"  should work!!

Al

http://www.hamuniverse.com/multidipole.html
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 08:36:04 PM »

Yes aka a "parallel dipole".  I do this with 80 and 40 and it works FB... it doesn't require a whole lot of re-tweaking.  40 and 20 should even require less as the bandwidths are wider.

I sawed up some 1 foot small pvc for "spreaders" to droop the smaller one under the larger one.... some notches and hot glue work fine.

AMI#1684
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 03:40:28 PM »

We're making it through our visit ok in the Philippines. I think it's hotter there than here.
Shopping through major malls here and not one magazine about Radio, Ham Radio, Short Wave listening, etc. I'm getting tired of reading the one QST mag I brought here. Just one of the shortcomings in my travel plans.

Fred

Fred. If electronic books are OK you can find an endless supply on Google books.  If you enter a subject and search for "Full View" you'll be able to view the full text of many books and periodicals in the public domain.

Radio Amateurs Handbook 1923:

http://books.google.com/books?id=jpMi0V8qoKsC&lpg=PP1&dq=the%20radio%20amateurs%20handbook&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Sam / KS2AM

--- Post No Bills ---
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 08:36:34 PM »

Thanks Sam.....................good idea
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands