The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:44:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone ever have this issue with a FT101E????  (Read 7318 times)
N2IDU

« on: July 24, 2010, 08:39:43 AM »

160, 80 and 40 meters work just fine with ease of tuning and full rf output.

It has new finals,has been recapped ,alligned and nuetralized. It worked on all bands until recently.
Now 20 meters through 10 are very difficult to tune for any output at all. However,these bands can be made to resonate weakly. The drive control has zero effect on the rf output. It does not matter where the drive pot is positioned at all. The only thing that controls any output is the loading control and it is very touchy. In this condition it only will put out about 15 to 20 watts into the dummy load. Needless to say it is impossible to go back and redo an allignment in its present state which I don't believe is the problem.

Thanks,
Peter N2IDU  Old Shincracker, Vt.

THIS WILL BE MY LAST TRANSMISSION !!
ka3zlr
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:17:07 AM »

Good Morning Pete,

I would start by checking for any looseness check and make sure all components that can be removed Boards Crystal etc connectors are cleaned and reseated properly then flip her over and clean an check the contacts on the band switch and while cleaning look at all the contacts to see if something hasn't happened to one of them it's a tedious job but that happen on an E i had an I lucked out it was just bent a liittle, maybe you have one that just dirty or somehow some dirt fell from vibration..

Now I'll tell ya straight that one I rescued at Butler Ham Fest had the CB Rocks in it an the bent contactor was from flipping the band switch to fast back an forth on the 10 meter selections you could see it. Alot of us has had an have one of those laying around so come on back in if ya can take some pics if you find something that doesn't look right an some times another pair of  eyes can be of help.

73OM

Jack.

WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 09:17:24 AM »

Peter,

How does receive work on 20-10?  If receive is OK then you know the hetrodyne oscillator and driver coils (shared with the receiver) are working.

Rodger WQ9E
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 10:10:39 AM »

Band switch wafer or its alignment?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 12:22:54 PM »

search fox tango . org.  Its likely one of the caps.  I am in ST. louis on biz and do not have access to my 101 notes.

C
N2IDU

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 07:45:59 AM »

Ok and thanks for your input. I'll let you know the results when time permits.

Thanks,

Peter  N2IDU Old Shincracker, Vt.

THIS WILL BE MY LAST TRANSMISSION !!
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 12:20:59 PM »

Contact W4CLM. Yaesu FT101 expert.

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 11:09:10 PM »

How is w4clm doing? i have not heard from him in a year.  No emails retuend either.  I hope he is not ill.

C
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 10:31:59 AM »

How is w4clm doing? i have not heard from him in a year.  No emails retuend either.  I hope he is not ill.

C

I have not been on in a while but the last time I talked to Carol, she was on 3955 ssb and that was a good 2 years ago at least. Google her call W4CLM and her web sites are still up.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 12:07:25 PM »

Its a man.  I used to talk to him alot about 5 years ago.  He was a great source of help for parts and info.  I fear he has been sick. 

C
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 01:13:17 PM »

Its a man.  I used to talk to him alot about 5 years ago.  He was a great source of help for parts and info.  I fear he has been sick. 

C

W4CLM

CAROL LOUISE MAHER

9 SCOTT DRIVE

CARTERSVILLE, GA 30120

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 01:19:48 PM »

Hmmmm

C
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 01:29:48 PM »

You guys need to get out more  Grin

A quick search on QRZ shows the last time Carol posted:
http://forums.qrz.com/search.php?searchid=1757089

and a quick Google, brought up some recent info on eHam:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6054

and, Carol and I have traded some e-mails back and forth over the last several months plus I also fulfilled several orders that I received.

Probably just very busy.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 01:33:55 PM »

Hmmmm

C

http://www.foxtango.org/Dayton%202006/Hamvention%202006.htm

photos.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 01:37:10 PM »

Odd.  I never met her. Talk to her on the phone for years and never realized!!!  LOL!

Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 01:51:57 PM »

Odd.  I never met her. Talk to her on the phone for years and never realized!!!  LOL!

Ive also talked to her via phone. She is a really nice lady and really knows her stuff. She straightened out a nagging tuning problem I had with a nice 101ee. Fixed the problem and even cleaned it up. Thing has been rock solid ever since. 

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 02:13:55 PM »

I feel embarassed.  I had no idea.  Many emails and some phone calls. I never realized it. Probably because I know a guy named Carol. 

I spent alot of time on that forum years back helping people. I have used 101s for many many years even before I was a ham Sad 

I have done extensive work with them and even fixed a couple nagging issues.  One of which was distorted Audio on SSB that alot of 101 owners have. Some dont realize it and think its normal or a bias issue.  In reality, I found that some types of the factory external 101 speaker where loading down the audio section.  I found this on accident. I aligned a 101 that had this problem on the bench. Talked on it for a day and then later put the external speaker on it. Everyone told me that it was now distorting. I unhooked the rig, Carried it to the bench and it was clean. So we figured it was the speaker. sure enough.. We found that some of the speakers where faulty. while other brands do not cause this. Lots of guys emailed me thanking me for that one. 

The other issue is that if you use the external VFO or worse, The VFO and Display you get low RX and power output.  This is because of the loss of signal to the radio. I found two caps inside the external VFO to ground on that signal line. I yanked one and this boosted the output of the external VFO to compensate.  As a result, This really increased the RX and TX.  100 watts SSB to 165 to 185.  RX was S9 before and 20DB over with the mod.  Now, Lots of people will buy the external VFO and do this mod just for the extra performance. It turns a Deaf 101 into a real performer.  I never spent the time to find out how to do this mod internal to the radio itself. 

I also spent alot of time aligning these rigs and came up with my own procedure that is easier and far better then the factory manual.  If you follow the factory manual, You will have two peaks on the Pre-selector. One for RX and one for TX.  Getting these to line up REALLY helps the performance of the radio.  Most 101s that I have worked on where WAY WAY off and as a result, Most hams think 101s are deaf or have a weak RX.  Thats not the case.  A properly running and tuned 101 will hold up against modern rigs.  One way to start is to use a sig gen middle of the band and peak the preselector. Then do the RX adjustments.  Finaly do the TX adjustments and go back and check that RX and TX peaks on the pre-selector.  If not, Go back and move the RX or the TX.  You can figure out which one is out by using the SIG gen to max out the S meter reading while tuning the Preslector and RX adjustments. Start off by having the preselector set to the Silk screen band postion.  Then go from there. 

The only one real complaint I have with these rigs is the output of the transmitter section is dirty.  Even when turned way down. I am sure that this could be cleaned up somehow. However, Running one of these things into a amp like an SB220 is a sure fire way to piss of neighboring hams.  I think the sweep tube final section is the reason. Some people use the Ameritron radio to amp filter and of course, this problem goes away.  This wont be an issue unless you are surrounded by hams in your town. 

C

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015