The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:21:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got the gates mod monitor working today  (Read 14567 times)
WA3VJB
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 05:17:49 PM »

Clark, you might want to research whether a VU meter is interchangeable with the Modulation Meter in the Gates. It might look right, but there could be electrical and mechanical differences that would affect your readings.

When I was an assistant engineer* at an AM station I got the newer version of your Gates after seeing it had been replaced with a type accepted model that could read up to 125% positive (with overshoots to 133%).

The documentation with the newer unit mentioned the meter movement, and how it complied with prevailing FCC standards (knowledge of which was part of the "upgrade" in the Type Acceptance protocol).

The unit included a spec sheet outlining how the mechanical swing of the needle was damped both on rise and fall.

It could be the same as a VU meter, or maybe not.  Then there's the electrical issue of how much it takes to obtain full scale. Is it the same ?

Anyway, good luck, and I'll keep an eye out for a 1931A in my travels. They are around, although by now less often found at radio stations for reasons I mentioned earlier.

By the way, the 1931A also provides rear panel connections for a remote meter.

* cleanup 'technician' of rubber drives, switches, and tape heads

UPDATE:
It was too easy -- I just went out to the Radio Lodge and looked at the meters !

Will post some pix.

Good news on your prospects using a VU meter not necessarily with a marked scale in percent modulation.
WA3VJB
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »

Here's the 1931A lit up.

And the modulation meters on both it and the RCA have VU-type markings in addition to the percent modulation.

I never used either as a reference for audio levels, but if the electrical characteristics match, it looks like you'd be all set, Clark.

Good luck in the contest.

* 1931A-1.jpg (221.87 KB, 640x480 - viewed 398 times.)

* 1931A-2.jpg (156.71 KB, 640x480 - viewed 390 times.)

* BW66E-3.jpg (239.47 KB, 640x480 - viewed 417 times.)
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 06:52:42 PM »

Cool!   Now I just need to find a meter. I hope todd has one for me.  It will look neat in a remote box at the operating position!

C
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 10:31:41 PM »

Sure is hot out there, still. Had that sinking feeling that all the VU/dB meters were still up north, but managed to find a few. Two out of an old Ampex tape machine which obviously wasn't well taken care of (not that many were, ala broadcast hacks and other typical abuse through use) AND! (drumroll.....) A WESTON in the same case as your Gates! It's not the exact scale mind you, and it looks like some engineer lopped off the little arrow head pointer so they could see the numbers underneath, but it's in the neighborhood at least.

You need not worry about some grand professional standards that these meters must meet: first of all, so long as the movements are the same or relatively close, the scales can either be changed (copied and pasted, for example) or simply calibrated against your mod monitor. Some even flip over to reveal another scale. Second, it's amateur radio, not some "specialty" vocation or professional recording studio. Seeing your work and reading your posts, I'm sure you can handle it. Wink

Take a look at the photos below. I set them up atop my mixing console since it uses the same Weston style meters, making it easy to compare. Also took a separate shot of it for better detail. Keep in mind that I do have others, might be a few more here, definitely more up north. So, if you're not pleased with this one and its shortened needle (which no doubt throws the movement out of its lab-grade calibration eeep) and not in a rush, I can likely scare up a few more in the next few months.

Worst case scenario, you cut the pointer off a junker meter and glue it to this needle. Touch up with some black Sharpie and voila!

* Meters.JPG (351.73 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 404 times.)

* Meters2.JPG (384.86 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 405 times.)

* Weston.JPG (320.37 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 409 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 11:31:02 PM »

Wow.. Those are killer.  I woud take any of them.  This will be cool in a black crinkle bud case.  I have a small one I got for $7 new in the box! I wonder if I have anything you need todd?

C
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 09:49:41 AM »

I'll send you the Weston 862 since it will closely match what you have. Unless you'd prefer to wait a while an see what else I turn up. Might be August, is all.

Can't think of anything I need right now except for more time, if you happen to have some of that handy. Seriously, I've had more than my share of help from others over the years with parts, advice, gear, etc sent my way. It's good to be able to help someone else.

Guessing you're good in the book(QRZ)? Drop me a PM or email, not much QSO content remaining. Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 11:59:01 AM »

That would be neat Todd. Thanks alot man. If you need something, let me know. I have a ton of tubes and junk laying around in the storage.

I am good on QRZ man!

C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015