The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:10:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ladder fed dipole up, thanks.  (Read 15678 times)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 01:17:24 PM »

I find getting used to a new rig/tuna/feed/ant. the most interesting, frustrating, rewarding and at times nerve wracking part of it all.
                                                Is it Friday yet?   D

Ifn you aint got one you needz to git you one of them newfangled MFJ Antenner annielyzer boxez!! Theyz the greatest thing since them city boyz invented sliced bread!!

Seriously, they are great for finding the "sweet spots" on the tuna for each band without beating the hell out of your transmitter. Also if you find several settings that look like a good match on your SWR meter, it will tell you which one really is best. They really take the guesswork out of antenna building and setup. Not to mention getting your tuna settings down without qwerming everyone else on the band! I have become so dependant on mine that I'd be lost without it. They're kinda a poor man's network analyzer!!

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KC2YOI
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 03:17:41 PM »

I'm sold on the static bleeds. What diameter, how many turns and what # wire ?
I like how you incorporated half a ground clamp.

* I re-purposed some common, green, Hemmingray RXR type insulators for the thru wall insulators. My friends own a glass shop with a wet grinder & diamond wet bits. I put a quarter size flat spot on top and thru drilled a 1/4" hole for a 12" brass rod that will protrude into the shack from out side. I ground the rain nibs off the base of the insulator for a flat sealing surface against the house clapboards with RTV silicone.
It should be cheap and sexy looking if it works  Cool  ( pics to follow )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I needs, wants, just gotsta gets me an anal-izer !

All kidding aside, a friend wants to go in halfies on a better quality MFJ-259B but those arrangements seem to bite me in the end.
I might go it alone once I save some wompom.

( I'll buy lunch if anyone has one near zip 12414 this weekend ) Cool

Tanks, D
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 04:10:22 PM »

DJ,

Nice unit, though the MFJ-259 ant analyzer eats AA batteries even faster than digital cameras. The devices runs in class A to give less harmonics in the output.

Turn it off after every measurement.  Even better, use the wall wart as often as possible for testing.

Be careful of static. I've had to send mine back three times in 15 years cuz I switched an antenna while it was operating. The pin diodes short out. I know some of the guys repair them themselves. I need to find out how it's done and not be lazy.

I have one and think it's the best thing ever made by MFJ. I also like their MFJ-1700B multi position exciter/linear patching 50 ohm switch.   Other than that... Shocked

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 06:32:54 PM »

I like their noise box that shifts the noise 90 degrees so it can be nulled out but I had to modify it a couple of times.  Last winter I could not have operated without it.  Winter time means folks are inside with their plasma TV sets and the street lights are on almost all the time I'm at home, and there are always one or two putting out noise.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 06:41:49 PM »

I used these chokes:

http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/staticsurgecoils.htm

You can make your own, Rob would, The specs are listed right on the page.  I think I counted the turns in my original post on this forum when I installed them.

Clark
ka3zlr
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 07:06:53 PM »

Wow, that wud be the way I'd go roll yer own see them Prices Wholly Smokes..

Jack.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 09:07:59 PM »

Yep.  $70 a pair.. That would break some of us Sad

C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015