The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:35:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Apple?  (Read 6995 times)
KC4VWU

« on: June 21, 2010, 09:59:55 AM »

Looking into getting a new Apple computer and giving the Dell a boot out the backdoor (to my shack). Question is; which one? Either the one built in the monitor or the one they call "the cube"? I have a flatscreen monitor I can use with the cube. From what I've seen so far, the all in one job gets quite warm to the touch and that may present a problem. Anyone out there had any experience with these?

Thanks, Phil
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 10:51:58 AM »

Heya Phil,

The all-in-one concept seems like a styling novelty.

I've got a MacBook Pro and can use an external pair of monitors to group functions and workspace when I'm editing video (Final Cut Pro, the application). The mouse or fingerpad takes you from one to the other with a sweep, no toggling needed. Very cool, IMHO.

Plus, with the convergence between computer-based video and your home television, you may end up using an HDMI output into your plasma or LCD monitor.

k3zrf

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 11:28:53 AM »

Phil,

I suggest you find an Apple store and go kick the tires on the models that interest you.

They can also help you shift your files from pc to mac.

It's worth the trip

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 01:49:38 PM »

I don't know what Apple has available now, but it has always appeared to me that their machines are overpriced and a lot of their resources go into styling, much like what goes on in the automobile industry.

We used Macs at work before I retired.  I liked OSX and all its numerous animal variations, but found the older OS (OS9 and earlier) to be a real clunker, on par with Windows 95, 98 and Millennium, but with a more primitive looking interface.

I used desktop models, the iMac and a laptop.

Regardless of the manufacturer and OS, I prefer a classic desktop tower with separate monitor and keyboard, and as a  secondary machine, a laptop.  I don't care for the novelty cubes, spheres, Möbius strips, and other forms that will go obsolete in 6 months. Kind of remind me of the transmitter-in-a-catfood-tin novelty ham rigs.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N8UH
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 02:23:21 PM »

Apple recently released the new Mac Mini:
http://www.apple.com/macmini/

And basically upgraded everything. Pretty much a Macbook Pro without a monitor. I got to play with one yesterday, and it was quite impressive for the size and price. It's tiny, very efficient, and even easy to upgrade.

The all-in-one iMacs are quite nice also. Very fast hardware and super-nice displays. Perhaps a bit spendy, but they are powerful enough to run just about anything, and are very space-efficient.

The MacBooks and MacBook Pros are FB. I use a MacBook Pro, and it has long since replaced my quad-core desktop Linux box. Way more power than I need most of the time, and I do heavy-duty video editing, compositing, 3D, and sound design on it without problems.

Many people have an issue with the cost of buying a Mac, including myself. BUT... I have owned one (the same one) for over 3 years and it's going strong - no need for a new one. Updates are painless. Viruses and security problems are a non-issue. It hardly ever crashes, I rarely even have to restart it, because sleep works so well. Heck, I even run all my Windows-only software on it using Parallels.

The point is, you can buy a Windows machine and it will cost less and do the same thing for the most part. But if you factor in the time spent having to do the anti-virus thing, updates, inevitable registry problems, re-installs, etc. and it's a wash. I'd personally rather have a machine I don't have to spend time on keeping running correctly. Less time futzing with the computer = more time tinkering with radios!

Just my opinion though, no need to start a war! Grin

-Tim
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 04:47:46 PM »

Considering both the display technology and processor speed/power change significantly every 2-4 years, the all-in-one makes more sense now than ever.
WA3VJB
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 10:00:09 PM »

Möbius strips

I had to look that one up, Don, very good !
Ants would be able to walk on the Mobius strip on a single surface indefinitely since there is no edge in the direction of their movement.

http://www.physlink.com/Education/askexperts/ae401.cfm
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 06:39:01 AM »

Sometime back Apple switched from the power PC processor to the Intel chip set. This has opened the door for DIY hackers via torrent downloads to run Mac OSX on PC's. My friend runs OSX on a Dell netbook now, and more recently a desktop using an AMD processor. Getting specific device drivers for non Mac hardware is an issue here, but the hacks are making progress as seen in several user groups devoted to this topic.

So running Mac software does not always mean spending big bucks....

Jim
WD5JKO
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 11:04:04 AM »

lowest cost solution, Keep the Dell, scrap windoze and run Linux...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 09:42:55 PM »

look no further.. Apples new Macbook wheel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA
K5WLF
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 11:24:11 PM »

lowest cost solution, Keep the Dell, scrap windoze and run Linux...

I'm not really a Dell fan, although I'm typing this on one. I favor Toshiba laptops and will be buying one soon. The Dell lappie is a company confuser. If there are some Windoze programs you can't live without, do the WUBI install of Ubuntu 10.04 and you can dual-boot into either OS as required. When I get my Toshiba lappie, I'll run Ubuntu Linux as the main (host) OS and run WinXP in a Virtual Box (as Guest) for the GRLevel3 radar app and for radio programming apps and maybe Adobe Premiere -- if the PiTiVu video editing software in Ubuntu doesn't make the cut. If it does, Premiere is history. Haven't had time to test-fly PiTiVu yet.

I've been running the WUBI install of Ubuntu on both my home lappie and my work desktop box, which is part of the university domain, for over a month now and very rarely boot into Windoze for anything. Mandriva used to be the standard for Linux newbies, but Ubuntu has knocked it into the dirt. Give it a shot. I really think you'll love it. I do.

An interesting note. When I boot the office machine directly into Linux, I don't get the "you have no expectation of privacy" box that I have to click on to proceed in Windoze. Ubuntu gets into the university domain without that warning. I don't figure it means much, but it's interesting to me that it's possible.

Give Linux a try. I really think you'll like it as much as I do.

ldb
K5WLF
K5WLF
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 09:21:04 PM »

Don't count on that Macbook Wheel anytime soon, Apple fans. The video is produced by The Onion, a parody news site.

http://www.theonion.com/

ldb
K5WLF
KC4VWU

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 10:00:30 PM »

Well guys, the deed is done. I went this evening and got the new improved Mac Mini with a corded keyboard and mouse. I got an adapter to run the VGA Dell flatscreen with it.

One of the main reasons I decided with an Apple is to reduce the aggravation of glitches and virus/malware crap that seems to plague windows based PC's. I use the Magic Jack for home phone and I believe it will work 100% better with the new setup. 20 bucks a year for unlimited nationwide calling, I laugh at Ma Bell every time I pick up the phone. My wife does the Facebook thing and likes to surf the web. Not much gaming. Thanks for the link, Tim; I had been looking at the earlier versions of the Mini, but the new model clinched the deal.

Another plus is it frees up the Dell from H3LL for me to use in the shack. I've always wanted to play with a home recording program, so now I may have a chance to do that as well as a logging program. I'd like to do Kazaa again to pick up some out of print music, but that site will definately wreak havoc with your machine and once you've got all the songs you want, time to burn them all to disc,  format C, and start all over.

Thanks for all the inpoot. I can see there are alot of happy Apple/Mac fans out there. I may give the Linux OS a try with the Dell when I get it back up and running in the shack.

73, Phil       
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 07:48:20 AM »

I may give the Linux OS a try with the Dell when I get it back up and running in the shack.

You can do that or you can just run Unix on your new Apple. Install the X-windows package and away you go.
W1IA

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 01:24:48 PM »

A little late, but I run a Mac in the upstairs office. I love it. I use PC's for the ham station. I got the big' un with the 21 inch monitor. Never had a blue screen of death and has been very dependable.

Brent

Run What Ya Brung!
KC4VWU

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 05:16:32 PM »

I was lucky; never really plagued with the blue screen of death with the Dell. I think the main problem may be insufficient RAM; only 256 megs. With several windows open and Avast antivirus trying to auto update, it would slow to lockup. Another problem I had with it about a year ago was the cooling fan on the vid card went kapoot and nuked the vid card. Being the resourceful cheapie that I am, I then decided to go to Goodwill and dig through their overflowing totes to find a replacement. After 20 minutes of scrounging, I can up with a working $5 replacement; so far so good. It's an old Dimension 4550, about 10 years old, so I felt it was time to step up.

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015