The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:07:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cuban 160m Transceiver  (Read 7238 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: June 20, 2010, 11:10:42 PM »

A prototype of Caiguaran, a low cost 1.8 MHz transceiver, was presented at the 8th Congress of the Cuban Ham Radio Federation (FRC).

Caiguaran is designed to give 20 watts output at 160 meters and with additional hardware can also work on the 80 and 40 meter bands. It can help to support emergency communication in Cuba.

None of the links mention mode or whether it operates on AM, although a few years ago pissweak Cuban AM'ers were widely heard on the band but few of them had readable signals this far north.

The Chair of the FRC, Pedro Rodriguez CO2RP told the Cuban News Agency that the first 600 units of Caiguaran are ready for delivery to Cuban Amateur Radio Operators.

The prototype transceiver was manufactured at one of the factories controlled by the Cuban Ministry of Informatics and Communications (MIC).

http://www.iaru-r2.org/caiguaran-radio-presented-for-cuban-ham-radio-federation-frc/

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 11:23:40 PM »

As you can imagine the amateurs in Cuba are most resourceful. 

I spent a few weeks down there 10 years ago.  I brought Arnie Coro  (CO2KK) an antenna book and some other stuff and spent a few interesting moments at the Havana airport with their customs folks.  When the military officer first informed me there was a serious problem with my luggage I had some very bad visions of a non-radio DXpedtion to the Isla de Pinos.  Fortunately I had a couple of printed emails from Arnie and once I "entered those into evidence" I was quickly whisked through with very good treatment. 

The rest of my time was very fun and relaxing compared to those first few moments on Cuban soil  and it was fun to see all of Arnie's radio setup.  I think I have some digital photos stored on my other computer and I will post those in another thread later.

Rodger WQ9E
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 03:43:49 AM »

The Cubans really use ham radio to its fullest during a hurricane.  Although the entry level license allows 160 and VHF, as I recall, the majority of emergency activity is on 40 so I'm surprised the little rig doesn't have 40 meters standard.

Rodger, I didn't have nearly as relaxing a time in my 2 years in Havana as you did  Grin  Still, it was an unforgettable experience.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 08:35:34 AM »

If their radio endeavors are anything like their cars, it must be some cool stuff. I have seen shows showing some of the contraptions they have JSed together because of the lack of parts. (Cars with farm tractor engines, etc) I bet its some neat stuff, they are pretty resourceful people.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 11:58:20 AM »

The best I have seen yet are the boats they cobbled together out of cars and pick-up trucks.  They made them watertight and added some buoyancy, JS'ed a propeller to the rear power train and a rudder to the steering mechanism, and successfully piloted into Florida waters.

Unfortunately, when the Coast Guard intercepted them, they hauled the people off board and sank them.  They should have towed a few specimens into port and put them on display.  They would have made interesting museum pieces and they certainly are a part of history.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WQ9E

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 12:11:44 PM »

A couple of photos of Arnie Coro CO2KK at his home station circa 2000

* P0000698.JPG (516.17 KB, 1792x1200 - viewed 1164 times.)

* P0000701.JPG (455.51 KB, 1200x1792 - viewed 982 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
WQ9E

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 12:17:08 PM »

And some additional photos including a better boat for Don Smiley  The boat belonged to Hemingway.  Another photo is me learning how to make cigars (that didn't turn out well) and the university where I did a lecture by candle light when the power failed.

It was a beautiful place to visit if you had plenty of hard currency.

* P0000750.JPG (497.07 KB, 1200x1792 - viewed 548 times.)

* P0000734.JPG (541.3 KB, 1792x1200 - viewed 591 times.)

* P0000777.JPG (274.67 KB, 1792x1200 - viewed 540 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015