The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 02:35:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K5UJ,ROB..7160..  (Read 2663 times)
ve6pg

« on: May 30, 2010, 07:06:13 PM »

..kinda werked rob, k5uj on 7160, at 6:30pm, edst...gud sig, but qwarm from ssb...

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 07:10:40 PM »

Yea the SSB will be hard to deal with at that time of the eve.
Very busy till the usual time that operators go to bed...............10:30PM or so.
But always try to slide around to avoid a direct clash with a SSB QSO.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 10:30:57 PM »

Tim, sorry my copy on you was so poor.   The bands have just stunk this weekend here.  Daytime propagation has been junk; at night it might be good but there's been so much lighting all over the place the noise level is super high.  I have shut everything down and decided to spend the rest of the holiday reading -- the bands are a waste of time.   I am also struggling with getting better reception.  I have a fairly good handle on things now with my 75 and 160 m. rx loop.  I have ordered a preamp for it.  I need to work something out for 40.  Of course there is some local appliance in the neighborhood that emits these random bursts that when demodulated sound like BRAP BRAAAAAAAAAAAP  BRAP AP AP AP BRAAAAAAAAAAP  and one of the frequencies they are on is 7160 and of course that thing (probably a tv set) gets turned on when I operate.   When that happens anyone who is not pretty well strapping in gets obliterated.   I have to get some kind of separate noise pickup antenna that will allow me to phase shift and combine that noise with my actual txrx antenna to null it out. 

rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 10:38:34 PM »

Yea the SSB will be hard to deal with at that time of the eve.
Very busy till the usual time that operators go to bed...............10:30PM or so.
But always try to slide around to avoid a direct clash with a SSB QSO.

Fred

Right I agree but this time I tuned around a good 10 khz up and down and heard nothing so I commenced to tuning up on 7160 & calling CQ and by the end of the second CQ transmission I had SSB in my passband.  I think they either move in or they must be what Don I think calls these dead air groups where the ops are barely alive and sit there not saying anything for minutes at a time.  Well heck, you can tune around and if they're just sitting there not saying anything what can you do.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 12:23:19 AM »

...dead air groups where the ops are barely alive and sit there not saying anything for minutes at a time.  Well heck, you can tune around and if they're just sitting there not saying anything what can you do.

Go ahead and transmit.  Ignore the bastards.  They lost the frequency.  It's now in use.

When you are queued up at the cinema, the bank teller or the vehicle registry, and some urgent or not-so-urgent business takes you away, you don't come back a little later and expect to go right back to the same spot.  You relinquished your place.  You go to the end of the line and start over.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 09:24:11 PM »

That's a good analogy, and what I usually do. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015