The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:53:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rutherford / CMC model B7B pulse generator - old skool  (Read 3267 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: May 12, 2010, 10:26:57 PM »

anyone ever use one of these? Two were just dropped off here. (somebody really likes me..)

all tube, 6DQ6's for the output amp, 1967 vintage, nice..
+/- 50V pulses,
15ns minimum risetime,
50ns minimum pulse time,
rep rates from audio to 2MC.

It seems like a nice item for pulsing an amp for testing and tuning and the 50V level means it could be injected numerous places. Was told the ugly one works and the "pristine" one does not. amazing..  

* frontispiece.jpg (187.91 KB, 1000x592 - viewed 273 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 12:32:22 PM »

Yea, but, you could have much more fun operating an Invader 2000  Grin  Grin 

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Superhet66
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 12:44:57 PM »

They packed a lot of function into that panel using coaxial shaft cntrls. They & the chassis would make for a very unique looking home brew radio project.  
Maybe some pics when you pull the covers ?
                                                                   D.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 11:47:13 PM »

ask and thou shalt receive!

This specimen is really like new! There are a few marks on the top cover, because it has been either beautifying shelves or packed in a carton for the last 40+ years!

check out the knobs, the output tubes, and the size of the power transformer.

The fuse blows quickly as if a rectifier is shorted. I'll have to put it aside for now but will get to it eventually.

* 100_8864.jpg (98.44 KB, 800x461 - viewed 291 times.)

* 100_8866.jpg (193.7 KB, 800x600 - viewed 287 times.)

* 100_8867.jpg (188.95 KB, 800x600 - viewed 292 times.)

Superhet66
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 10:25:55 AM »

Neat score,
I like the fiberglass PCB / tube mix. Plenty of forced cross ventilation also. That must have been a high dollar unit.  
Depending on your inclination, I still say most of the "fixins" are there for a nice home brew Xmtr. ( sweep tubes and all ). Or just use it as a pulse generator.
                                                                      Tanks, D.

I think I have a sweep tube bias ( pun not intended  Cool ) , as I still have the
FT 101 w/ 6JS6C's  that's been with me many moons.

Some sweep based home brew beasties to ponder:

http://pages.cthome.net/okmunwurx/

* Fox Tango.jpg (31.67 KB, 402x600 - viewed 255 times.)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:59:39 PM »

Something as pristine as that pictured Rutherford can't be carved up. It would be a sin! I think I can make it accurate by using an external trigger, so it ought to be perfectly good. The fuse blows in 1/2 second. I bet I can fix that. Now, the ugly-looking one (no pics) actually works, so it can be a standby or parts if necessary.

The power supply section in these units is very tough. To make a good pulse, it has to have a very low-Z power source, and it has lots of filters there, about 600uF for the pulse amp's plate supply. The windings for the floating +/-150V section and the +250V section have about the same DCR in the transformer and can be put in series with no issues. It is cap input as well and so the transformer is low-resistance. I know about the power supply's real capacity because in another life I started to build a linear for a guy out of one, an older and rather trashed out model with an all-metal chassis and no boards. It was never completed because he did not pay and someone bought it off me for a power supply chassis for a few bucks.

Nothing against sweep tubes except cost. I restrict myself to the older octal based ones that are still $6 each. There is nothing like a sweep tube for high peak current and anode voltages. My usual use is audio. They make a decent hard switch and pass regulator too.

What is that FT tube type similar to? I have never seen that tube before.

As for the Invader, I got to see it last Saturday in Houston. very, very clean. But I am not buying. Where would I put it to use it?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015