The AM Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:59:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone help me decipher this shipping information?  (Read 3244 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: June 09, 2010, 10:36:47 PM »

I located on line exactly the posts I need for running the transmission line and control cables down to the tower above ground.  They are hot-dip galvanised 10' "tee" fence posts.  The advantage of these is  that they can be driven directly into the ground without digging a hole, and the footprint is small enough that it can be done without disturbing the radial ground system, particularly near the tower where the radials are closer together.

They are reasonably priced - $13.50 each for a total of $81, from a company in PA. But shipping is the bitch clause.

I clicked on shipping estimate, and this is what came up.

LTL.

LTL means “less than truck load”. This carrier type is typically used for large, heavy orders such as gates or woven wire fence.  The customer is responsible for off-loading and signing for goods on arrival. You have Truck only items: PT10P

4 LTL Shipping Options

Shipping Options:

Transit Time

Carrier Cost

Your Cost
Fed Ex

91.18 - 0.00 = $91.18

New Penn   
97.00 - 0.00 = $97.00

Estes   
112.52 - 0.00 = $112.52

ABF

3 Days

462.65 - 0.00 = $462.65
0.0% Discount Qualified ( 91.18 x 0.000 = 0.00 )

So, from what I can figure out is that the cheapest carrier is Fed Ex, and it takes 2 days.  The shipping is still more than the cost of the merchandise.  That sucks.

The most expensive one is some company named ABF and it would take them 3 days, and the cost would be $462.65, almost 6 times the cost of the merchandise!

That doesn't make sense to me, that one shipping method would be so expensive, yet take longer than the cheapest one.

They all say I would have to unload the merchandise off the truck myself, which shouldn't be a problem with a half dozen metal posts, but that also means I would have to be here when the truck arrives, and that could be a hassle if they are not able to give me an exact ETA.

I have checked all the farmers supply stores locally and the longest they have is 7½ ft., non-galvanised. I need the 10 footers so that when driven into the ground they would still get the cables and feeders high enough to walk and drive a lawn mower under them.

I want to make sure I interpreted the shipping data correctly so that if I decide to go this route, I am not hit with any surprises on the bill.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 11:21:12 PM »

ABF is a big truck freight line.  Been around a long time.  ABF stands for Arkansas Best Freight.  But they are probably only known as ABF these days, like KFC.   Yeah, I have run into that truck cost problem too and it is really vexing.   I once looked into finding those 50 foot Rohn push up masts, the H50.  Well Burghardt had them over in Watertown SD.  I think they were around $120 each; maybe $100.  I wanted two.  they could only be shipped by truck freight and that cost $250!  I thought about driving over there but that would have been a drive across Wisconsin and Minnesota and up through SD to Watertown from Sioux Falls and I knew that would have wound up costing more than $250.  I was screwed.  I wound up finding them at a two way radio store in Memphis when I was visiting my mom, and brought them home with me in my car so I lucked out.  (That's also the last time I'll fool with push up masts--they are nasty.)

Anyway, you have run into that lousy fix where you want something that can't be shipped  inexpensively, probably because they are 10 feet long.  UPS has an 8 foot limit in length.  the push up masts collapsed down to 11 feet so that's how I got snared.  If you look at ham antenna products sold to the masses by MFJ, Gap, DX Engineering and the rest of them you will notice all their stuff like ground rods, tubing, fiberglass masts, and antennas all collapse down to at most 8 feet and that's why.  Some light weight aluminum tower sections are even available in 8 foot lengths.  The problem of course is that you don't want enough to make the truck freight cost effective.

Maybe the BA Pony Express can come through?  Too bad Dayton has already taken place. 

Re the ETA, even FedEx isn't all that great--they'll give you a day but won't commit to a time window. 

I wonder if you can pound in a galv. steel rail for each one into the ground then bolt the farmer co-op ones on to them.  Then the part in the ground would be galvanized and you'd have maybe around 8 feet sticking up?   It would be really annoying to have to resort to such a JS workaround because of a dang shipping problem though.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 07:45:33 AM »

Don,

Did you try talking to the manager in the fence area of the farm supply store?  If it is like our F&F store here, some of the stuff is available but non-stocked and they will order on request.

Rodger WQ9E
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 08:38:11 AM »

Don, you might check on what's known as channel posts.  They are the type used to put up street signs and come in a variety of lengths and weights.  My suggestion would be to order shorter then 10' for UPS shipping, then bolt together.  I order them from GRIMCO at 1-800-542-9941 for my sign business. www.grimco.com  They have a store in Nashville.  Hope this helps.
Enjoyed talking to  you on 40 the other night, called CQ a while last night on 7150 but to no avail.   
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »

It would almost be cheaper to go get them yourself.

Can you find a flatbed/hotshot trucker coming back partly empty? Lots of guys collecting military vehicles do that.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 07:51:48 PM »

Have them cut in half and ship UPS. MIG weld or drill and bolt together and cold galvanize.

Carl

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015