The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 04:34:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National NC-183 Question  (Read 3420 times)
W7POW

« on: May 26, 2010, 11:36:48 AM »

I am currently replacing the caps in my newly aquired NC-183 and noticed some clipped off leads like there was maybe a mica cap across L-29 the filter choke.  I looked at the schematic and saw no cap for this in the parts list.  I googled the reciever on-line and looked at pictures of other and noticed some sets seem to have a cap in this position and mine obviously did at one time as well.  Should I replace one in this position and if so what is the value.

Thanks,
Chris.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 11:57:05 AM »

Should be a .1 uF/400V.  Probably would work fine without it.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K3ZS

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 09:08:58 AM »

If you have not done it yet, check all the resistors too.    On my NC-183 most of them were way off.
W7POW

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 10:58:36 AM »

Thanks for the tips.  The NC183 is finished as far as replacing the capacitors go and I fired it up for a couple hours yesterday and everything seems to work fine minus the meter is not moving.  The performance seems good but I think today I will start checking out the resistors.  Anyone have an exact value for the mica cap that goes accross L29?  Thanks again.
Chris
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:02:08 AM »

Huh
As I stated in my post, it's .1/400V.  Not a mica, it's a paper wax.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 12:40:45 PM »

If you have not done it yet, check all the resistors too.    On my NC-183 most of them were way off.

God... we have already beat that one to death Grin

Check all of the 47K screen dropping resistors.

I dont know why, but, Nationals from that era are notorious for crapped out or way way out of tollerance resistors. I guess they just used cheap, crappy resistors. Every national I've had or worked on needed a bunch of resistors replaced.

Also, remember if you're using the S meter to peak up the IFs tune the signal Ifs for maximum deflection, then tune the AGC IFs for minimum deflection (lowest reading)

the Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 09:20:51 PM »

Its not only National, they all shopped price and often used the same resistors. I find the same problem in Hammarlund, Hallicrafters and even Collins. I dont have the oddball brands such as RME to compare.

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015