The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:28:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Watt meter comparison. The Bird 43P vs the NIST accurate Power master  (Read 18103 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 01:45:08 PM »

heheheh... I learned how really bad those DVM POS's are when using one to measure in the vicinity of 1KW PDM power pulses.   As expected, even one of my digital meters in the rig that measures current is way off.

Analog is the only way around big fields.

So in this case, basically you're using the meter as a field strength meter looking for unbalanced RF currents. Though, all of my rigs are open in the back and will probably give a stray RF reading there...

I have a rather expensive Fluke DVM.  It works excellently for measuring dc and ac voltages and currents, and resistance.  It has a capacitance function, but that scale is so far off as to be useless. My cheap little ECG capacitance meter reads right on, down to the picofarad and up to hundreds of mfd - just be sure the capacitor is completely discharged before trying to read the capacitance.  The DVM is useless for measuring ground resistances.  I tried using it to measure the DC ground resistance from one end of my beverage to the other.  All I got was nonsense readings.  No strong radio stations near here, so it wasn't rf.  It turned out to be electrolytic action in the soil.  I can measure a fraction of a volt DC between the beverage wire and ground with nothing else attached but the terminating resistor.  For ground resistance readings I would recommend an analogue ohmmeter with low internal resistance (high current for the low resistance ranges), or better still, use several volts from a DC power supply and measure current, and then calculate the resistance using Ohm's law. AC might work better than DC, since the DC tends to generate electrolytic action between ground rods/radials and the soil, and the current reading may change rapidly as the voltage applied, and the metal ground conductors and soil start to act like a battery.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 04:00:45 PM »

For those of you who like digital wattmeters take a look at this new model.

http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-500.html

I have one of his LP100 models and it is very good.  This is a unique approach to a wattmeter and monitor.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 04:21:41 PM »

That is really cool.  I wonder if that scope is going to be usefull on am?  Any idea on the price?

C
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 07:24:59 PM »

Clark, I don't know positively, but speculation is that is will be in the $800-900 range.  You can see from the pattern that what you see is a sine wave, which leads me to belive it will be fine on AM.  However, I would email the builder, Larry/N8LP and ask him that question.  He is very good about answering questions and his meters are very good at measuring peaks.  You will find a link on his website   http://www.telepostinc.com/

Brian, I had an employee that burned up a new digital meter made by Beckman back in 1983 doing the very same thing but on a KW broadcast transmitter.  I still laugh today when I think of the look on his face.  Fluke bought Beckman to gain the technology and kept the meter on the market as a low end vs the Fluke for several years.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 09:22:39 PM »

It was just one of those not paying attention sequence things where I turned the plate switch to on and then reached to adjust the grid drive to off second and then went, Oh *&$%!

Only took me about .00000001nS to realize my mistake, but that's all it took.

I have a Fluke 77 that I have had for years that would blow the input protection resistor every time I transmitted on my GK 500A.  Just being the presence of the RF field with it turned on did it.  I finally became tired of paying Fluke to replace it, I just bought something else.  I took out the resistor and jumped across the lands on the board and it works fine.  I just have to remember to not exceed any ratings if I ever use it.  That particular part is proprietary to Fluke, wouldn't you know it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015