The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:24:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Printing Error in Reflections 3  (Read 3187 times)
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« on: May 23, 2010, 07:21:32 PM »

For those who have purchased copies of Reflections 3 I have to report that due to printing errors, two pages of the book have been omitted. Copies of these two pages are available here in the attachments.

On Page 23-10 Fig 23-7 was supposed to appear. Instead, a duplicate copy of the first page of Fig 28-8 appears. The correct Fig 23-7 appears in the attachments.

The Legend for Figs 23-8 and 23-9 was also omitted; a copy of this page is also in the attachments.

These Figs pertain to the integration of successive reflections, integrated to determine the power transferred from the input to the output of quarter-wave (90°) transformers. How the Figs are used is explained in the text.

Walt, W2DU

* Fig 23-7.doc (37.5 KB - downloaded 142 times.)

* Fig 23-6 circuit.jpg (85.04 KB, 2153x813 - viewed 312 times.)
* Fig 23-6.doc (24.5 KB - downloaded 166 times.)

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 07:28:27 PM »

Only three attachments were allowed in the previous post. This post includes three more for continuity.

* Legend for Figs 23-8 and 23-9.doc (23 KB - downloaded 164 times.)
* Fig 23-9.doc (85 KB - downloaded 185 times.)
* Fig 23-8.doc (61 KB - downloaded 162 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 10:27:04 PM »

Walt:
What is CQ going to do about this? Keep selling them and hope no one notice, return existing stock back to the printer, keep selling them and add Errata sheet(s).  Huh

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 10:41:14 PM »

Hello Pete,

CQ is printing copies of the missing pages and will insert them in every copy they distribute. We are trying to reach every one who has already purchased a copy to let them know of the problem. CQ will then send them copies of the missing pages. There will be additional printings with missing-page problem corrected.

Walt

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 10:45:06 PM »

Speaks VOLUMES about you, Walt.

Again, thanks for your contributions... 

Is Vol 3 only available through CQ, or can you order it through other merchants (I have a local book shop hole in the wall I try to get things through....  They can use the $$$s, and I use them when it's something I can't find ANYWHERE).

--Shane
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 06:26:24 AM »

Hello Shane,

Thanks for your interest in Reflections 3.

It's my understanding that CQ will give a substantial discount to book sellers, which would give your local book store the opportunity to sell Reflections 3. I suggest you have your store contact CQ to make the necessary arrangements.

The url to reach CQ Communications, Inc. is www.cq-amateur-radio.com.

I hope this can work out for you.

Walt

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 02:04:31 PM »

I wonder if CQ will offer corrections for the printing error. I have seen other books where the publisher supplied an adhesive correction to paste over incorrect diagrams or erroneous paragraphs on a page.  I'm not sure how they would handle an entire missing page, except to supply it as a loose sheet. The only problem with that is how to prevent the inevitable disappearance, sooner or later, of a loose sheet.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 02:23:09 PM »

"The only problem with that is how to prevent the inevitable disappearance, sooner or later, of a loose sheet."

Glue it to the back inside cover and make a note on the page before the missing one... Wink

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 06:04:13 PM »

I wonder if CQ will offer corrections for the printing error. I have seen other books where the publisher supplied an adhesive correction to paste over incorrect diagrams or erroneous paragraphs on a page.  I'm not sure how they would handle an entire missing page, except to supply it as a loose sheet. The only problem with that is how to prevent the inevitable disappearance, sooner or later, of a loose sheet.

Walt said earlier:
"CQ is printing copies of the missing pages and will insert them in every copy they distribute. We are trying to reach every one who has already purchased a copy to let them know of the problem. CQ will then send them copies of the missing pages. There will be additional printings with missing-page problem corrected."

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015