The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:48:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why contemporary audio is garbage-- a lot has to do with "lifestyle."  (Read 19639 times)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 02:53:47 PM »

"Wish You Were Here" - Eddy Fisher, 1956?  One of the first 78's that came along with my new Philco kiddy AC/DC record player; electrocute the baby-boom larva.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 03:00:52 PM »

Nostalgic thread,,,,,,,,,loved the LP album art.

Don, DAWN dish washing soap will not leave any residue on the vinyl.

There were two songs that I could 'SEE' where the record cutting engineeer widened the grooves for more volume/bass. Like the big grooves on those 10 inch dance records
"Stained Class".....Judas Priest towards the end of the cut. The ending increases about 3dB
"Life's Been Good"..........album version...........Joe Walsh transistion from radio version to the LP version............heavy bass and drums
ohhh boy we're going audio here
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Superhet66
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 04:56:18 PM »

Fred, Detroit said wins on race day tranlate to sales on the showroom floor. HiFi AF ragchews could be argued to contribute to on air quality HF comm.  Wink  
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 05:11:23 PM »

Ivory liquid is my favorite. It's great on greasy hands and will cut through anything else it's used on. Plus, it has copious amounts of alcohol too.  No residue. You're squeaky clean. 

I used to use the Disc Washer system. It had the fluid you applied to a velvet brush. It work for the most part getting dust off of an LP but I always found washing with Ivory, luke warm water and a horse hair brush to be superior to any commercial LP cleaning device. Even the record cleaning machines some record shops had.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
ka3zlr
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 05:43:07 PM »

I entered the audio scene middle late sixties built numerous speaker systems from the
first draft of two 5 inch speakers wired off the alarm clock radio to just buying a
Marshall twin stack.. Grin ya ya ya Big Sound.. Grin and wiring the tuner an Tape machine in  Smiley

But whatever I did I always tested the bass response with the beginning of these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBnSWJHawQQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc0XEw4m-3w

Jack.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 06:18:17 PM »

*funny, I got quite, ahemm, Lost this weekend listening to Floyd's Animals LP.... Wink
amazing stuff on there and good for the blood pressure.

Best audio trick in the genre was the alternator whine mixed into the beginning of "Wish You Were Here."

Dave I always thought that was the sound of a high speed tape shuttle on an open reel machine, which would be appropro in 1971.  During fast-forward or rewind, the tape is lifted from the head stack, but enough gets through on the playback head to hear it do just that. It even changes pitch as the reels shift their load, and the spooling motor feels the change in ratio, just like a set of gears.

Sounds exactly like an automotive alternator with a shorted diode. The pitch changes quickly like in a car when it shifts gears. The tune starts out with the bottom rolled off like the sound of an auto radio. 
ka3zlr
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 06:28:19 PM »

Funk was where it waz at..:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll3uipTO-4A

Jack
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 08:37:27 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBI-pBJg7aI

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 08:40:57 PM »

Klaatu!  Wow Don, now that brings me back.  I received the Hope album for my 13th birthday.  What way out there psychedelic Beatlesque warning to the human race.  Planet destruction is such a drag.  Thanks for the flashback.

Those citizens who questioned, those suspect harborers of doubt, were brought before a panel of the Ministry of Health.
They were tested and encephalographed
'Til rendered quite insane
When in accordance with the laws
They reprocessed their brains

AMI#1684
Superhet66
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 09:19:04 PM »

Klaatu reminds me somewhat of the Synthesized Beethoven tracks from Clockwork Orange.
Interesting stuff. I haven't heard this since grade school and some never.
N0WVA

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 10:10:09 PM »

Hell, DON, I just take my vinyl to the sink and wash in warm soapy Dawn and rinse.

I tried that but the detergent seems to leave a waxy film of its own.  Don't remember what brand I used, but maybe the wrong stuff.

Get some elmers wood glue and with the record spinning squeeze some out on it. You want just enough to be able so spread it thinly with thin plastic spatula or junk credit card. Once the glue is completely dry, you can remove it in one complete sheet, the glue will rip out the gunk right along with it. You dont want it too thin ir too thick. Practice makes perfect.

Done this to a cruded up The Guess Who album and it rally made a big difference.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2010, 11:05:11 PM »

Well Don, if the proof is in the puddin', people are coming around. Forget about picking up any decent vintage reel to reel or even marginal tube AF amps, on
e-pay, etc. on the cheap. There is a strange Renaissance taking place toward "commodious" vintage, audio gear.

com·mo·di·ous   /kəˈmoʊdiəs/  Show Spelled[kuh-moh-dee-uhs]  Show IPA
–adjective
1.spacious and convenient; roomy: a commodious apartment.
2.ample or adequate for a particular purpose: a commodious harbor.   Wink

2.Archaic  Suitable; handy.
[Middle English, convenient , from Medieval Latin commodiōsus , from Latin commodus  : com- , com-  + modus , measure ; see  med-  in Indo-European roots.]

Not to be confused with odious.

It's an Electronic Renaissance
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=21605.0

I never put much stock in "lifestyle". It always seemed like a contrived fad no matter which way you look at it. In some ways, contrived by powers to generate revenue by creating an image to which people with any level of disposable income are "driven".

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 11:52:02 PM »

The only bc station I worked at was a top 40 country station with jingles, short 45s in rotation and you had to grit ur teeth and hold on until network news at the top of the hour.  Fortunately, there was so much to do that you didn't have time to think of your bio break needs. 

Someone has used reel to reel gear, I think it is M.W. Persons.  I'll check and post a link if I'm right.  Yeah, he has Revox A77 and a lot of parts:  http://www.mwpersons.com/revox.html

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 09:11:10 AM »

My favorite Klaatu song was "ANUS of URANUS"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeUMpAy1NK0

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
VA3AEX
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 09:37:13 AM »

A cool thread: 'tubes, tape and cars!'.  While I'm all for analogue audio -- I have a homebrewed PP tube amp driving B&W speakers, via a new turntable given to us as wedding gift 2 1/2 yrs ago (my XYL and I still buy vinyl) -- I won't knock iPod.  

I had a surreal experience listening to an iPod while waiting for a flight out of Vancouver.   Sitting in the passenger lounge and facing a 2 1/2 hr. wait for my flight; I pulled out my iPod (the basic/cheapest Nano) to listen to mostly live blues: Johnny Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Willie Dixon and Albert King.  Sitting there looking out over the tarmac at the snow capped mountains in the distance, I could almost feel the heat from the tube amps and thought I was at those concerts.  A memorable listening and 'involving listening experience'.  

And for the really nasty crusted moldy vinyl that you sometimes pick up: try running it through the dishwasher.  It gets them at least playable.

73  Alex
ka3zlr
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 10:11:05 AM »

one of the ones we grew up with:  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDkhzHQO7jY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgps85scy1g&feature=related
W8IXY
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 01:29:39 PM »

Vinyl record cleaning:   I found that a 50-50 solution of Everclear (near pure grain alcohol) and water, with a teeny tiny amount of Photoflow (a surfactant) cleaned vinyl records better than any other solution I ever tried.  I made some "mittens" out of white velvet (Dyed velvet "runs" from the alcohol) to gently get down into the grooves.  And, if possible, a rinse with distilled water helps more.  The Black Velvet is for later during the listening sessions.

Long album cuts:  When the cart machines that had the trip cues option developed, it kind of solved the problem of 2 minute 45's and the urgent bathroom visit syndrome problem.  You simply engaged the trip cues at the end of each cut to fire off the next cart machine.  6 cart machines @ 2 minutes each = 12 minutes of available "break" time.  The problem there was if the machine miscued, or the trip cue wasn't recorded on the cart, you ended up with the awful dead air.  There was ALWAYS a monitor speaker in the mens room.  And, when the trip cues failed, there was always the hilarious scene of the on-air person running back to the studio, pulling his pants up as he hobbled down the hallway.

There was also the opportunity to "simulate" a monitor speaker failure, while the on-air guy was taking care of business, and turn the monitor amp off while he was out of the studio.  We'd kill the amp, hear a lot of hustling and bustling in the mens room. along with some language taught at truck drivers school, and in a few seconds, the on-air guy was running down the hall, somewhat disheveled, back into the studio.  Then we'd hear another round of truck driver talk when he found out there really was no failure.  We'd have to explain that the "manager" wouldn't approve of the expense to repair an intermittent monitor amplifier.

Some choice albums that were specially placed in a "special bathroom" bin at a hard rock station I worked at included:  Kashmir - Led Zepplin, Revolution #9 - Beatles,  Roll Over Beethoven - ELO, Squonk - Genesis, etc.

Ted  W8IXY
KA1ZGC
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2010, 03:13:17 PM »

Best audio trick in the genre was the alternator whine mixed into the beginning of "Wish You Were Here."

Dave I always thought that was the sound of a high speed tape shuttle on an open reel machine, which would be [apropos] in 1971.  During fast-forward or rewind, the tape is lifted from the head stack, but enough gets through on the playback head to hear it do just that. It even changes pitch as the reels shift their load, and the spooling motor feels the change in ratio, just like a set of gears.

Sounds exactly like an automotive alternator with a shorted diode. The pitch changes quickly like in a car when it shifts gears. The tune starts out with the bottom rolled off like the sound of an auto radio. 

Funny, I always thought it sounded an awful lot like a brush motor from a power tool (not that the two don't sound pretty much identical). The pitch changes never struck me as a gear shift.

Now I have to listen to it again when I get home. This'll bug me all week.  Angry
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2010, 01:56:01 PM »

* 200px-Inagaddadavida-single.jpg (16.5 KB, 200x204 - viewed 387 times.)

ka3zlr
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2010, 02:00:12 PM »

War,,,and Rare Earth..ya ya  Smiley

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2010, 04:13:39 PM »

Listening carefully, it could be a reel-to-reel in rewind and someone slightly braking one of the reels to allow the tape to speed up and slow.
I would have to listen again on a clean vinyl or CD copy with headphones.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2010, 06:59:47 PM »

Dave I always thought that was the sound of a high speed tape shuttle on an open reel machine, which would be [apropos] in 1971.  During fast-forward or rewind, the tape is lifted from the head stack, but enough gets through on the playback head to hear it do just that. It even changes pitch as the reels shift their load, and the spooling motor feels the change in ratio, just like a set of gears.

Funny, I always thought it sounded an awful lot like a brush motor from a power tool (not that the two don't sound pretty much identical). The pitch changes never struck me as a gear shift.

Now I have to listen to it again when I get home. This'll bug me all week.  Angry

The one that bugged me most was the hook in "Every Morning" by Sugar Ray. I know it was something I'd heard many times and thought it was from Santana. After two years of searching it turned out to be "Suavecito" by Malo. Carlos' brother Jorge was in that group.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015