The AM Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:30:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Primary Bypass Capacitors  (Read 3046 times)
N0WVA

« on: April 29, 2010, 10:22:34 PM »

Are they really needed? Even my HQ110 has them and the instructions warn against a shock from the chassis if not grounded well. Ive noticed that they help regens and DC rigs when used, but is there another way to accomplish this besides adding them to the primary of the transformer?
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:38:50 PM »

Are you referring to the hot and cold lead caps to ground or chassis?

If so, they are mainly used to reduce hash and line noise.

A better way is to use an input line filter.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 05:17:20 AM »

Replace them with modern line rated caps AND your chassis should always be grounded for safety anyway.  There are many things beyond leaky caps that will cause the chassis to become hot.  For example, last month I finished restoring a Trio TX-310 transmitter to go with my previously working JR-310 receiver and as soon as I plugged in the receiver it blew a fuse.  The power switch had developed a near short to ground while it was sitting on the shelf and had the chassis/case been floating above ground it would have floated up to the AC line level.

The safety advice from older ham radio guides is still very good, "ground should be the first wire connected and the last to be disconnected".

Rodger WQ9E
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 07:27:11 AM »

The safety advice from older ham radio guides is still very good, "ground should be the first wire connected and the last to be disconnected".

thats also why the ground pin on a 3-prong plug is usually just a tad bit longer

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 08:20:41 AM »

Corcom makes some pretty good schtuff, however.....................

You have to determine if your noise is coming in to the receiver on the power line, or being radiated by pwer lines and picked up by the antenna Huh Huh Huh

If it is being radiated by the power lines, there isnt much you can do, you'll be in the same boat I'm in. Also, when using Corcom's filters proper placement and grounding is essential! ! ! ! !

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015