The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:40:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: interfacing teh computer into the tx audio rack - some pointers?  (Read 4567 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: April 28, 2010, 05:46:13 PM »

I want to use my old crusty 733 mhz G4 mac out in the shack to play my itunes library while I'm screwing up radios on the bench and play little humorous dittys on Ray, maybe record off the air to a hard drive too.

lots of you have done this I know, do you have to have a console of some kind? whats the signal level range coming out of a pc's headphone jack? can you drive 
0db live level stuff with it ?

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 05:55:32 PM »

I've been contemplating the same thing.  My guess is the output of the computer will be line level unbalanced. In my case my mixer has the ability to take unbalanced and balanced inputs.  I haven't connected the PC to the mixer yet so I don't know what to expect especially in an RF environment. I'm hoping it won't be an issue since the transmitters audio amp has an unbalanced input converted from balanced and I don't seem to have an issue with RF getting into the audio.  So hopefully the reverse will be OK.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 08:51:56 PM »

I use software and my computer soundcard as the preamp/EQ stage of my audio chain with the Viking III. The unbalanced soundcard output drives the next stage, a DBX 166A Compressor Limiter, without any problem at all. I do the same thing with another computer to drive a JBL 7110 Compressor Limiter which then drives the balanced modulator of the TS-440 through a 1K:1K transformer without any problems as well. I believe Bob is correct, the output appears to be line level, however, most audio software allows quite a range of input/output adjustment to compensate for whatever losses you might encounter. I think you'll find that you as long as you are careful with gain distribution from stage to stage, you'll make it work fine. I found that any random RF issues ended when I grounded the cases of my computers to the station ground bus.

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 12:45:52 AM »

I have a Cheap behringer mixer Derb. You can see it in my Youtubes.  I got some Headphone cables at rat shack and some adapters to 1/4 inch. I have not had any trouble with levels.  In and out of the laptop.  If you dont have enough, They make cheap headphone amps at Guitar center. There are about 10 on the market. Some are called "stick on" amps. They are small and have a sticky tape on the back. They will convert to a higher level if needed. 

The main thing, is to just try it. 

I am going to redo it since I got a 6 channel mixer out of a Country station here. Its a BC unit. TFO offered to help me wire it in one day. 

C
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 02:19:48 AM »

yeah i got one of those RDL stick on amps to use as my mic preamp. I think I got it in box for less than half price with the 24 volt PS.  I'll use that to bring my mics up to line level to go into the CRL APP-400.

I think it will be mic or other audio source into the APP-400, into the Behringer 9024, and that into the CRL limiter. But I 'll probably try all kinds of combos.

I do wanna hook teh computer in so I can click on a file of me rappin and doing the usual shtick i do on the air that loops;  so I can be free to look at the scope and adjust controls and pots and such without holding a freaking mic and tryin to do adjustments at the same time.

WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 07:40:17 AM »

In the category of:
Audio programming material, used for the conducting of engineering tests.

Noting the Passing of an Era, where instead of Yay-Ell-oh, yay...yay... YAY ello, we have a successor at the Derb-A-Tron:

so I can click on a file of me rappin and doing the usual shtick i do on the air that loops;  so I can be free to look at the scope and adjust controls and pots

We should have a contest where people write rap for Derb to utter.

Must meet the standard, the authentic style of "urgent, unsettled lyrics generally shouted instead of sung"  (dictionary for rap )
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 08:45:01 AM »

Hi TIM
I hope you have room for this.......................It works.................First get Ray working making RF..........then take a baby step to get audio to it........the last step is to wire in the console and you can bring up your other audio sources with balanced audio to your processors.........
God Bless
Phred

* ampro.JPG (159.72 KB, 800x600 - viewed 360 times.)

Fred KC4MOP
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 10:37:07 AM »

wow it appears me not having a console is no longer an issue. TNX OM ! What make / model is that Fred? I've never seen one of those, looks early 70's???

oh, I see AMPRO.... cant make the model out. I dig he rotary pots - cant stand slide faders.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 10:42:20 AM »

I hope you have a healthy dummy load!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can be the boss with the sauce...............the daddio on the rad-io........after everything is wired in and you start TESTICULING
Ray will surprise you with fantastic audio!!!!

Phred

Fred KC4MOP
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 10:44:58 AM »

I'll sound so nice I had to key down twice.  Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015