The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 10:26:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Art of Ragchewing  (Read 2196 times)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« on: April 22, 2010, 06:00:46 AM »

I often run out of things to talk about on the air.  This got me thinking.  There really is an art to good ragchewing.  I spent some time tonight putting these thoughts down in an article and I am presenting it to you guys here for critique, comments, flames, whatever...
Here is the rough draft...

http://kx5jt.net/AM/QSO.htm

AMI#1684
K3ZS

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:57:12 AM »

Interesting article especially about the AM personalities.   I got my Rag Chewers Club certificate as a Novice from a CW QSO.    I don't think the ARRL issues them anymore.  It was actually easier to obtain on CW because it takes a long time to have a meaningful conversation using CW.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 06:37:14 PM »

Thanks Bob.  I find myself struggling sometimes to keep a good ragchew session interesting and fresh and I suspect others do too.  I'm not sure if writing the article will help me or not but does give me a few things focus on.  I admit that it is real easy to not stick to some of the basics I listed, so I think I'll revisit the article from time to time.  I am certainly open to any further suggestions that might add to the articles value on the subject.

John

AMI#1684
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 07:20:24 PM »

I am very good at generating small talk. I do find that the easiest way to keep things going is to just ask questions. Usually about the other guys experiences or family or what ever came up interesting to me in the preceding part of the qso.   That way it doesn't get boring, and we can keep the conversation related to things that are interesting to both of us (ok maybe just one).

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 09:15:30 PM »

Even if the other person's topic is boring to you, might as well enjoy it and then the subject will change anyway. Maybe that is what I mean - be able to discuss things that bore you, because that is doing a service to the other guy to whom the topic is interesting. The skill is to make the exchange pleasant for the other person.

(BTW - Samuel S Weiner WBCQ on 7415 -- the guy, I swear just said "Timtron" in the middle of spiel about what was coming up later.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015