The AM Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:58:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Framingham Flea Market - Impressions  (Read 3277 times)
W4EWH

« on: April 11, 2010, 06:53:51 PM »

The Framingham Flea was a disappointment. There were a lot of empty tables, and not a lot of gear.

There were a few good things:

• Steve QIX showcased his new software-defined modulation monitor, complete with VU meters. I felt like I was back in 1968, looking at the MK-60 console at WTBS!
  • Some scored a very nice Ranger II. They told me they paid $400.
  • There was a complete Swan 500C with external VFO with asking price of $350. If I collected Swan, I'd have been very interested.
  • The commercial-conversion guys had some very nice Motorola and Kenwood mobile gear, and I almost bought a six-meter FM rig for $50.

Long story short: I hope Deerfield is better.

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 06:57:56 PM »

people collect Swan gear?  Shocked
W4EWH

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 08:35:50 PM »

people collect Swan gear?  Shocked

W6QKI was a much better designer than he gets credit for: the Swan radios weren't as complicated as his competitor's, and they required more expert tuning, but they got the job done and set a standard for minimalist design and layout that still looks good today.

Mr. Johnson realized that hams, unlike the Air Force, didn't care about being exactly on frequency, so he lowered his parts count by using a simple dual reticle tuning indicator that was intuitively obvious. He knew that, unlike Art Collins, he wasn't going to be selling to the military, so he didn't need to use the mil-spec "idiot proof" 6146 finals that were in the KWM-2.

There were other design choices, which some considered sloppy and others efficient: crystal filters instead of mechanical, and wide-coverage VFO's that used dial markings in different directions on different bands (a feature that Drake used to great effect when manufacturing the 2-B receiver), thus saving on crystals, bandswitch complexity, and wiring effort.

In short, I've always thought that Herbert G. Johnson's radios deserved more attention than they got: Art Collins, flush with Curtis LeMay's money, could afford to put his ads on the facing-contents page of QST, while Johnson had to compete with a leaner, more minimalist design, word-of-mouth, and a better price that average hams could afford to pay.

I've got a 350C on a shelf downstairs, and I'll tune it up on occasion just to remember how it was to have a radio that really would bite if you weren't careful: before the autotuners and the fold-back circuits, before 10 Hz resolution displays, before "anyone" could do it.

I always admired Swan. YMMV.

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 11:00:11 PM »

The double tuning knob that used the nice - crud what was their name (CRS strikes exactly when I am typing this!!) - ball bearing reduction drives was sweet. I got my novice buddy at the time to put one of them on the front of his Hot Water 101, replacing the crap plastic gear drive Heath had - sweet! Cheesy

Ah, yes, Jackson reduction drive...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 08:57:52 AM »

It was an OK flea market.  I picked up some good stuff for short money, and talked with a lot of folks.  Not too many AMers there this time...

Had fun demoing the software mod monitor.  Here's a screen shot of the latest version.  You can select meters only, bar graph only or both with or without the scope envelope display.   The neg peak flasher is set at 90% in this picture.  The constantly moving display definitely attracted some attention at the flea!

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 12:16:51 PM »

So those are "Vu" meters.... Wink

Should the right side meter say "positive peaks" rather than both meters saying "negative peaks?"

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 06:43:21 PM »

So those are "Vu" meters.... Wink

Should the right side meter say "positive peaks" rather than both meters saying "negative peaks?"

T

Yes!  I need to modify the graphic.  I just keep putting it off   Roll Eyes

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WQ9E

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 07:25:14 PM »

W6QKI was a much better designer than he gets credit for: the Swan radios weren't as complicated as his competitor's, and they required more expert tuning, but they got the job done and set a standard for minimalist design and layout that still looks good today.

There were other design choices, which some considered sloppy and others efficient: crystal filters instead of mechanical, and wide-coverage VFO's that used dial markings in different directions on different bands (a feature that Drake used to great effect when manufacturing the 2-B receiver), thus saving on crystals, bandswitch complexity, and wiring effort.

I always admired Swan. YMMV.

Bill,

My first impression of Swan wasn't positive.  I was a novice in 1975 and it was in that time period when Swan created the poorly disguised Siltronix 10-11 CB rig.  Starting in 1994 I have acquired a lot of vintage gear but nothing Swan until recently.

But at a little hamfest in Iowa 2 years ago I acquired a really nice looking 350 with speaker/PS and as I was dashing back to the pickup in the rain (Swans are compact and light enough to dash with) I spotted another
Swan off to the side and came back later to pick up a Swan 250.  Pricing on vintage Swan gear is reasonable and $150 later I went from zero to 2 Swans with power supplies.

I have added a few more to the "Swan stable", the last a pair of Swan 600 twins.  Some of the oddities like the coarse set control for the VFO in the 250 and the twins is a bit annoying but so are the 200 Khz. tuning ranges of my S line.  The Swans definitely grow on you.

* Swans.JPG (519.4 KB, 1280x747 - viewed 391 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015