The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:03:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Responds to FCC's NPRM Calling for New Rules on Vanity and Club Call Signs  (Read 5400 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: April 07, 2010, 03:00:38 PM »

Might be useful to those who are contemplating a vanity call sign.
Full story from the ARRL Web Site date 4/7/10:
http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-responds-to-fcc-s-em-nprm-em-calling-for-new-rules-on-vanity-and-club-call-signs-em-em

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 03:27:56 PM »

ARRL info and my comments:

"The ARRL understands that the underlying premise for the proposed rule changes is the shortage of Amateur Radio call signs in the preferred formats and that there is "competition among radio amateurs for these call signs. "

** Back in 1979 when I applied for a two-letter call, I just knew the day would come when they were deemed valuable. For a long time the reserve of good calls remained flush, but suddenly they were gone.

"Since 2×1 and 1×2 format call signs are at a premium in all call areas now (and some permutations are fully assigned...."

* Yep, it was only a matter of time. 

*The "Solution?"

"The League noted that though call signs such as W23A are consistent with the International Radio Regulations, the Commission would have to change Section 2.302 of the their rules, as that rule Section does not permit amateur call signs in the two-number format. "This proposal would not create any confusion relative to television broadcast translators or low power television stations, which use two-letter suffixes after the two numbers, which signify a television channel number," the ARRL put forth. "Nor would it conflict with FM broadcast translators, which utilize three numbers (ranging from 200 to 300, designating FM broadcast channel numbers), followed by two letters. It is desirable and possible to increase the pool of Group A call signs by adding this new format to the pool of available call signs for assignment to Extra Class licensees."

*  Gag me!  W99A, K73D,  K11JJ, W15VD, W22ZE, WB33HUZ, WA11HLR, W11IA, WA19QIX... could become a reality.

That's it - I'm selling out! ... Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 08:10:03 AM »

I used to be WB5KUJ and got Extra class in 1975.  About 2 or 3 years later FCC got rid of 25 year waiting period for two letter call and told everyone get one now or never again.  I did not like getting rid of waiting period for it made the two letter call sign a symbol of a veteran OT ham but I put in for mine because I thought if I ever want one I have to get one now. 

I was against that, I am against the vanity thing and I am against the VE program. 

I have never had to fool around with the stupid vanity bs and hope I never have to. 

I was 19 when I got my two letter call.  I remember walking around  the Atlanta hamfest (I was stationed at Ft. Gordon Ga. at the time) with my call sign badge and getting the fish eye from everyone.

Once in a while I get static from someone about getting a W9 call since I am in Illinois.  I always tell them turn everything back to the way it was in 1972 when you could easily get a two letter call every time you moved because there were plenty available and I'll be happy to apply for one, that would by systematically issued by FCC.  But go through that vanity nonsense?  Forget it.

I finally got used to N and A calls--that took about 20 years.  But the 2 number calls?  I'll have to start using a W2OY selective CQ hi hi. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015