The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 01:22:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The very best Ham Call Sign lookup -- ever  (Read 5888 times)
w1vtp

« on: April 02, 2010, 03:38:26 PM »

I may have mentioned this before but it's too good not to share - again. 

http://callsign.ualr.edu/callsign.shtml

You can use all kinds of search strings.  I've located several friends over the years using this database.

Al
Superhet66
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 04:34:20 PM »

Agreed Al,
It found an old friend of mine and my expired sign, N2JXE.
                                                          Thnx, D.         
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 09:20:16 AM »

In the name search I could not find David Bell, Danville, PA. I'm sure he must be an SK by now. I would appreciate anyone with his address to relay it to me.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 03:12:41 PM »

Let me find out Terry. Where in Danville did he live?

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 05:18:21 PM »

In the name search I could not find David Bell, Danville, PA. I'm sure he must be an SK by now. I would appreciate anyone with his address to relay it to me.

Terry

Neither one of these hits are your friend?

* david bell.jpg (37.14 KB, 466x156 - viewed 426 times.)
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 06:15:26 PM »

Thanks Al, You know, I don't remember his middle name. I'll have to do more research. Mike down there in Rush Township may also be able to give me something once I figure out what street he lived on. He once owned the Danville, PA drive in movie and he was employed as a pattern maker or cuter for a clothing company in Catawissa, Pa. He had a maid or so he told me that she was his maid. Funny how he would have his arm around her all the time Grin Grin I was just a kid in those days that asked too many question per Dave. He used to take me to a big electronic salvage yard near Wilkes-Barrie, Pa and I still have some of the stuff in my collection from those trips. 

I think he was a very well too do individual as he drove a Mercedes convertible sports car in 1958.  Per the link below, that car could go for $181,000 I wonder what they cost back then? 

http://www.carpictures.com/vehicle/04AJF134058194.html

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
WQ9E

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 06:39:07 PM »

Al,

Thanks for posting this site again-I missed it the first time around.  It is a lookup server.

Rodger WQ9E
W3SLK

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 10:50:34 PM »

Terry, I'll have to ask your old school mate....aka the father-in-law.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 11:03:02 PM »

Thanks Al, You know, I don't remember his middle name. I'll have to do more research. Mike down there in Rush Township may also be able to give me something once I figure out what street he lived on. He once owned the Danville, PA drive in movie and he was employed as a pattern maker or cuter for a clothing company in Catawissa, Pa. He had a maid or so he told me that she was his maid. Funny how he would have his arm around her all the time Grin Grin I was just a kid in those days that asked too many question per Dave. He used to take me to a big electronic salvage yard near Wilkes-Barrie, Pa and I still have some of the stuff in my collection from those trips.  

I think he was a very well too do individual as he drove a Mercedes convertible sports car in 1958.  Per the link below, that car could go for $181,000 I wonder what they cost back then?  

http://www.carpictures.com/vehicle/04AJF134058194.html

Probably was'nt the Mercedes 300SL (as pictured), but it's more popular and much more affordable little brother, the 190SL. Except for the uber-rich and movie stars, the 300SL was essentially unaffordable by most car enthusiasts during it's production lifetime of the early 1950s thru 1963. If you can find one, plan on dropping around $750K for a nice, restored example of the Gullwing. I think M-B only made about 1500 of them in total, and as such, the 300SL Gullwing Coupe remains the most desirable of the breed.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 02:17:17 PM »

Thanks for the lead. I just came back from a California trip last night. I was in Twentynine Palms briefly but remembered seeing a massive antenna farm on the last trip two years ago. I spent a bit of time on qrz this morning trying to dig up some info without any luck. Ironicly I found your post and I found what I needed instantly.

This was the qth of contest station W6BA sk. I drove to the house while there but saw no cars or tracks in the sand leading to the house. Big yagi's on big towers but had seen better days. Actually the only thing visible to me from the highway two years ago were the high towers holding the rhombic. No wifey in the car this time so I was able to investigate.

This site has a reference to W6BA at the bottom of the page if interested.

http://www.qsl.net/n6rt/
w1vtp

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 02:55:44 PM »

I think the FAQ says their data is downloaded on a daily (and weekly) basis from FCC

http://callsign.ualr.edu/faq.shtml

Glad you guys found it handy
WB3JOK

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »

Probably was'nt the Mercedes 300SL (as pictured), but it's more popular and much more affordable little brother, the 190SL. Except for the uber-rich and movie stars, the 300SL was essentially unaffordable by most car enthusiasts during it's production lifetime of the early 1950s thru 1963. If you can find one, plan on dropping around $750K for a nice, restored example of the Gullwing. I think M-B only made about 1500 of them in total, and as such, the 300SL Gullwing Coupe remains the most desirable of the breed.

I believe the 300SL Gullwing listed for something like $9,300 in 1955... not pocket change for most people then, either Cheesy (My parents together only grossed $4,800 that year in NYC in white-collar jobs).

But it would do 160 mph with the taller rear-end gears, which is pretty impressive even now, let alone 55 years ago!
W3SLK

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 07:22:34 PM »

Terry said:
Insert Quote

Terry, I found a David Bell that passed away in Oct. 1987. He was born Nov. 11, 1911. Does this sound like the right person?

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015