The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:44:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uncle Ray lays smackdown on would be movers  (Read 4713 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: March 31, 2010, 09:05:46 PM »

well, no delivery - the movers didn't have the man power to handle the job so they are gonna have to reload and try again next week with more of everything.   Roll Eyes

I am undeterred, but they get one more shot to do the job and then they're fired. I'll hire the moving company that works for the Pittsburgh Steelers & Pirates if I have to.
Superhet66
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 09:10:26 PM »

Buzzkill.....  Undecided
I suppose it all happens for a reason...
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 11:47:27 PM »

gee whiz makes you wonder if they thought they were moving a refrigerator or a couch, something like that.

I hope the iron is out of it.

R.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 12:11:52 AM »

actually the iron is in it. I cant remove it and I don't expect Phred to. As long as it's transported upright and strapped in, it's OK.

They are going to try again next week with double the manpower and some special tools. If they cant get it then, I'll dump them and hire someone else. people ship items this size and weight all the time. Pianos, commercial air conditioners, it's not rocket science. I look at it like,  now I have another week to finish the audio system and clean house.

makes you wonder if they thought they were moving a refrigerator or a couch, something like that.

Nope, they got pictures and complete description of it including weight.

One way or another, that tx is coming here.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 01:06:17 AM »

Well, at least they didn't push their luck like someone I know who years ago tumbled down the stairs carrying a DX-100.... Grin

Yep, they'll bring in their strappers next week and you'll be sitting pretty in no time, Derb.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 08:20:26 AM »

who years ago tumbled down the stairs carrying a DX-100....

concrete basement stairs even...... Roll Eyes

gawd that was a lifetime ago. I was such a little JN. (experience wise)...never been literally little.  Sad

KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 09:59:01 AM »

What's wrong with those guys? I unloaded a BTA 1R1 RCA by myself.  Guess they didn't have a trusty come-along and alot of determination.  Took two of us to load it though.  The secret is removing the iron first.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 11:15:46 AM »

well, I know that.....but I'm generally not in good enough shape to take the iron out or re install it. the idea was that professional movers would have the manpower & equipment to move it as it sat.

the problem is the transmitter is 6 ft 8" tall and Phreds garage door is only 6ft 4" tall, so it has to be tilted back to clear the door. The 2 guys they had, although rather beefy, just didnt have enough stuff to make it rough. So they are gonna bring in 2 more guys
and rent some gear to make it happen. The iron in the bottom is not the issue, it's clearing the door.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 01:08:30 PM »

Ah, I see.  Yes, getting the cabinet tipped back might be tough for two guys unless they are pretty big.   I was picturing it traveling on its side...bouncing over bumps....iron tearing away from the sheet metal....tubes falling out... Shocked 

Well if it is upright no worries.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 02:33:47 PM »

Is all of the iron and other heavy stuff bolted to the bottom of the box? Most of the BC transmitters of that era just sat them in place and that was that. If this stuff isn't bolted and they have to tip it that far.... Well, I wouldn't want to replace the insulators. I wish I could help Derb. Good luck.

Mike
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 02:59:57 PM »

Don't know about a Raytheon but the RCA BT's have a 4" high wiring race underneath the bottom that can be removed to lower it some.  That's what KA5RHK and I had to do with my BTA 1R1.  The former owner had it in a storage building with a very low ceiling and there was no way to tilt it.  Wish I was closer to lend a hand.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 04:59:28 PM »

everything in the bottom is very securely bolted down. It will be ok to tip it to get it out the door. But it has to go down the road vertical and strapped in. As long as it's vertical, the iron will be fine. there's no insulators. with 1350 volts, there's no need for any.

as long as the force is up and down and it happens at the same time at the same force applied to the entire unit, there's no actual movement to break anything.

here's Uncle Ray's business area of concern - you can see how everything is bolted in place directly to the bottom. if you moved it in the truck any position other than vertical, you would have problems snapping off the mounting ears. as long as it stays vertical it'll be ok.

I just hope they get it done on the second try.  Lips sealed

* RA250 2_1.jpg (158.31 KB, 800x600 - viewed 357 times.)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 05:10:30 PM »

I was there my brothas,
THey had an appliance truck for a washer not a REAL hand tuck. 4 guys and a REAL manly hand truck with straps and P-neumatic tires, and they'll be ok.
This is 1940's metal........that TX could survive being  on its side. A 1980 kw rig wouldn't. Thick unbendable metal and the ears on the transformers are 1/2 inch thick iron. But we're insisting on upright shipping. ALL tubes are wrapped in soft cushiony stuff in boxes on the bottom inside the box.
Even with the iron out of it 5 guys struggled to get the box upright. The problem are the other circuits with their own individual 1940's style iron power supplies. EVERY chassis in that box would have to be removed. And that would mean messing with a very old wiring harness. If it's not manhandled and bent around it will be ok.
The owner doesn't know zip about moving or listening to the customer. She answers the phone sending these poor guys all over creation to move everyday stuff. Companies like her will say "yes we can take care of that for you"

Phred

Fred KC4MOP
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 07:38:01 PM »

yep i have to agree with Phred's assessment.  They get one more shot and thats it. They had pictures and a full description of the transmitters weight before they took the job. Next contact is Monday afternoon, and we go from there.

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »

I just spent the day with some riggers moving a 5K lb plus piece of equipment in our factory.  Man they had the gear, guys and know how to make that look easy.  I have no idea what they cost per hour, but from where I was standing, they were worth it.

Its also Amazing how moving heavy stuff hasn't changed much since the time of the Egyptians.   Muscles, levers, and wheels.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015