The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:54:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm pretty "Geeked Up" this morning.  (Read 3413 times)
N8ETQ

Mort

« on: January 06, 2011, 08:38:30 AM »

Doesn't get better than this.

BC-779 w/ P. sup. 
  Mossberg model 42M-B bolt action.

/Dan

* super pro 002.jpg (370.01 KB, 1824x1368 - viewed 690 times.)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 10:09:45 AM »

Nice shot, Dan (yuk yuk).

I doubt you'd be considered a geek, as geeks are generally associated with new technology, engineering, pocket protectors, Casper Milquetoast and so on. More likely a Good Ol' Boy, which is a much more entertaining place to be anyhow IMO. Now, back in the 40s-50s when radio was still king and hunting, more prevalent, you'd more be seen as a geek.

Had the semi-auto version of that Mossy, with a flip down stock in front. Used it as a little whipper for hunting before I cold handle a bigger rifle like an .06 or .308. Got to where I cold empty the magazine into a group the diameter of a softball or juice can at 100 yds. within a few seconds. By then I graduated to a .308 with considerably more....adjustment needed between shots. It kicked!

You will really love that Super Pro once you get it up and running. The do take a while to warm up and stabilize but got a bad rap over the years for drifitng from folks who picked them up surplus fairly worn out, modified them, or the biggest issue, ran them with the wrong aerial then complained about noise. Funny thing is, the owner's manual explains both the drifting and aerial requirements in detail, along with the consequences of not following the guidelines.

Strongly recommend reading Henry Roger's Super Pro site as it contains a lot of good info. Starts with the earliest SP-10 version, but also covers the pre- and post-WWII models of the 200s as well.

Here's the Main site:

http://www.radioblvd.com/

And Super Pro Page:

http://www.radioblvd.com/hammarlund_super_pro.htm

Good schtuff! Have a blast with it. Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 05:45:42 PM »

Hey Tod,

Thanks for the kind words and the links.  The thing plays fine, It
crackled to life around 70v from the variac this morning around 10am
and its been playing gud all day. up to 115v now.  The limiter has an
issue but this rig has been spared. It does have a few extra wires
in it but they look more like "Station Interface" type mods rather than
than the "Normal enhancements" of the period. I downloaded the
army tm and I did read alot of radio blvd site today. 

I'm excited about the pop gun too.  the 270WIN is getting a little
pricey just for punching paper but I do enjoy the physical abuse hi hi.

Oh, on the warmup drift, Yeah it's nasty. I cold started my R388
when CAMSLANT Chesapeak (NMN ?) came on this morning and had to
trim it up once durring the 40 min or so High Seas forcast vs. 3 or 4
times on the 779. Anyway with an RX this pretty one can overlook
a few short comings.

Thanks again Tod,

/Dan

Nice shot, Dan (yuk yuk).

I doubt you'd be considered a geek, as geeks are generally associated with new technology, engineering, pocket protectors, Casper Milquetoast and so on. More likely a Good Ol' Boy, which is a much more entertaining place to be anyhow IMO. Now, back in the 40s-50s when radio was still king and hunting, more prevalent, you'd more be seen as a geek.

You will really love that Super Pro once you get it up and running. The do take a while to warm up and stabilize but got a bad rap over the years for drifitng from folks who picked them up surplus fairly worn out, modified them, or the biggest issue, ran them with the wrong aerial then complained about noise. Funny thing is, the owner's manual explains both the drifting and aerial requirements in detail, along with the consequences of not following the guidelines.

Good schtuff! Have a blast with it. Wink

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 06:07:42 PM »

My pleasure, Dan -

In the event you haven't run into this tidbit yet, Ralph W3GL posted it to the receiver section a few years back when I was all spun up about Super Pros and asking incessant questions.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=15703.0

It deals with a fix for the extended warm up drift which so many folks complained about. It was originally designed as a professional/commercial set first and clearly states in the manual that it was designed "both electrically and mechanically for continuous service", which you'd think would be a hint. Hammarlund actually created the S model (most often seen as the SX) later for extended HF coverage in order to include all HF amateur bands. Original models only covered from broadcast to 20 mc.

Yours is like the 200-L(X) model, and appears to be in very nice shape for its age. Sounds like it hasn't had the miniature tube hacks done to it which is a huge plus. Wonder if your terminal strip covers were all in place? They seem to be missing on most sets, and lemme tell ya from experience - you DON'T want to reach behind the set for anything when it's on without those covers in place.

If it's in a temperature-stable environment like a heated shop or garage, try leaving it on overnight and see whatcha think. I've got an old SP-100 (posted below) here that I got from Buddly, and it settles right down pretty fast. Granted, I don't listen to SSB with it, but the wander factor just isn't noticeable to me. Calibration is right on and it'll be on the same frequency tonight when I turn it on as it was when I shut it off early this morning.

Hope you've got a big ol' speaker hooked to it. That rig will make some sweet audio.  Grin

* SP100_FrtL.JPG (316.5 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 630 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:59:14 PM »

Hey Todd,

"http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=15703.0"

Thanks, I had not seen that.  I don't listen to SSB much just like to
see how the drift is and which way.  Despite the drift I was somewhat
impressed with the AGC preformance on SSB. Not bad on mine but
just copying one station doesnt really tell the tale.

"Yours is like the 200-L(X) model, and appears to be in very nice shape for its age. Sounds like it hasn't had the miniature tube hacks done to it which is a huge plus. Wonder if your terminal strip covers were all in place? They seem to be missing on most sets, and lemme tell ya from experience - you DON'T want to reach behind the set for anything when it's on without those covers in place. "

Thanks, Yeah its clean, I looked at the additional wiring and as I suspected
it just takes the screen voltage from pin 4 on the big strip over to the 2
position strip labled "RELAY" for remote mute function.  No covers on mine
either. I'll have to come up with something. I checked the voltages and
current draw on the P. sup. to verify that there were no "Fatal" issues
and found:

Pin 4    scr  125vdc  <10ma
   pin 5    B+   265vdc    75ma
   pin 6  AF B+ 375vdc    30ma  idle
   pin 7   bias   -52

AC in was 115.6 via the variac
   My P. Sup is the RA-94 without the panel or dust cover.

"If it's in a temperature-stable environment like a heated shop or garage, try leaving it on overnight and see whatcha think. I've got an old SP-100 (posted below) here that I got from Buddly, and it settles right down pretty fast. Granted, I don't listen to SSB with it, but the wander factor just isn't noticeable to me. Calibration is right on and it'll be on the same frequency tonight when I turn it on as it was when I shut it off early this morning."

I agree, I'm not sweatin it,  It was on most of day yesterday and I
copied Don KYV for quite a while last night an didnt have to mess with it
at all.  Wish it had 160 m. on it. Ever hear of anyone changeing the 100kc
- 200kc band to 1mc to 2mc. ? That seems like a somewhat "Logical" mod
and I would be surprised if nobody hadnt done it.

"Hope you've got a big ol' speaker hooked to it. That rig will make some sweet audio.  Grin"

And a lot of it, I have not hooked it to anything larger than an LS-3 yet
but had that "Crankin" pretty good.  Got a nice JOLT off the audio output
when my 600 ohm load came loose.  Anyway thanks again Todd for the
advise and info. I'm crapped out. May try for the Milrad net in the morning
but I ussually  just listen.

/Dan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015