The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:52:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ranger Main Dial Drive  (Read 2269 times)
sndtubes
« on: April 02, 2010, 01:58:11 AM »

It was suggested that I clean and lube the Jackson dial drive when I have my Ranger apart.  Does anyone know how to take the drive apart to clean and lube it?  I see no obvious way to get it apart.  I googled it and found nothing.

Mike WB0SND
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 03:45:49 AM »

If it's a standard Jackson Bros planetary drive, I don't think you can take it apart without bending the tabs that hold the case together, but I'd have to examine one to say for sure.  I'd be afraid of breaking the tabs off from metal fatigue when bending them back.  If the entire drive can be removed, soak the whole thing in solvent and then oil it.  But I would do that only as a last resort if it appears contaminated with crud and you can actually feel the friction from grit when turning it. I believe the original lubricant is some kind of grease, and light machine oil might not properly lubricate it, or at least not last permanently. The wrong lubricant might make it slip.

I have used those drives in various things for years, and never had to clean or lubricate one. They seem much more precisely built than National Velvet Vernier planetary drives.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 07:30:45 AM »

Mike,

On the Johnson drive the two case halves unscrew from each other.  Be careful because the ball bearings may drop out depending upon how much the lube has dried out.  I have seen two styles of shafts used, one has a separate ball bearing on the end while the other style has the ball formed as part of the shaft.  If the bearings are scored (or if you lose one) they are standard sized and any bearing shop can get a replacements for you.

I use WD-40 and a clean cloth to clean out the old lube and for replacement I have been using the same synthetic lube I use for the truck and tractor grease fittings but any decent grease should be fine.  The lube should hold the balls in place as you reassemble.  You want to tighten the case points to the point where it doesn't slip but also doesn't become too stiff.  There is a broad range over which it works fine so it isn't too critical.  Proper lube makes a big difference in the tuning smoothness of these drives and after 50 to 60 years the old lube definitely needs replacement. 

Rodger WQ9E
sndtubes
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 03:57:04 PM »

They do look like they will unscrew from each other, but darned if I can figure out how to hold one side while unscrewing the other without damaging the threads, etc.  I may just leave it alone unless I can figure it out......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015