The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:29:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1,500 lots of equipment headed to auction; some include hundreds of items  (Read 3839 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: March 26, 2010, 11:17:59 AM »

Leased from the University of Alaska by UCLA since 1986. HIPAS, which stands for High Power Auroral Stimulation, was shuttered by the Los Angeles-based university about 20 months ago.

By selling off inventory at HIPAS, the goal is to generate revenue for UCLA while returning the 130-acre site back to roughly its previous condition. That means getting rid of office supplies, heavy equipment, scrap metal, and even the six buildings that have been built at HIPAS.

There is at least 40,000 pounds of copper on site, and a pair of 1.2 megawatt diesel generators are still in prime condition.

You’ll find an old Hewlett-Packard reel-to-reel computer beneath a collapsing roof. Throughout the facility are things so old or obscure they defy categorization. The items will be sold at an online site, www.proxibid.com, followed by an outcry auction of the remaining items.

An online auction is tentatively scheduled for April 15, and they hope to get the inventory ready for a public viewing on April 10.

HIPAS Observatory is said to be the predecessor to HAARP. They are auctioning off EVERYTHING except the land it's on. Reportedly, EIGHT 150 kw CW transmitters, as well as one the world's most powerful lasers, originally used at the Lawrence Livermore National Ignition Facility. Tons of EXTREMELY expensive optics....probably $100 million worth. Plasma chambers too.

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_story/6804742/article-HIPAS-Observatory-auction-a-treasure-trove-of-technology-throwbacks--quirky-equipment-?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Superhet66
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 08:25:34 PM »

I'de like to take a stroll around that facility. Sounds like a history lesson in equipment. Let's hope some U.S. universities and research facilities take advantage of that oportunity.

I also hope the powers that be know to keep the relavant stuff out of the hands of potential "wrongdoers", (what ever the hell that means these days)
                                                       D.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 01:53:17 AM »

I'd like the laser. I've seen drawings for part of it. But that will never happen! I hope it goes to another university or somewhere and does not get scrapped.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015