The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 03:30:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's that time again!  (Read 4087 times)
n1exi

« on: February 28, 2010, 08:52:55 AM »

I received a letter from W5IY yesterday reminding me that it's time for renewal - just fill out a form and remit payment - I have viewed comments here regarding special event callsigns and curious to know has anyone used this service for my application.

Greg - n1exi
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:16:40 AM »

Greg, if you have your FRN you can renew online at the FCC website for nothin".
No need to pay W5YI for sumpthin you can do for free.

Renewal Info
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 09:29:01 AM »

Budly said:
Greg, if you have your FRN you can renew online at the FCC website for nothin".
No need to pay W5YI for sumpthin you can do for free.

What he said! Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 10:00:11 AM »

Just renewed myself, there was a charge for keeping the vanity call which I paid with plastic.  Took 2 minutes,,, but you need the ULS info and your password.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 01:24:14 PM »

The FCC website and and obtaining FRN was a PITA, very user unfriendly the first time I tried to use it. But once I obtained a FRN it took only a couple of minutes of typing and a couple of clicks and my renewal was done.  I think they have vastly improved their site since I first had to navigate it to register for a FRN.

To me, the W5YI registration-for-a-fee is a scam.  If they made a few bucks off the renewals of only a small percentage of the tickets that expire each month, that would still be a pretty good income stream.  It probably takes them less than a minute per renewal. Others are doing it as well; I have heard hams say they received letters telling them that they must use the services of a (for-pay) third-party in order to renew. Kinda like the Medicare "advantage-plan" ripoffs that a lot of elderly people get sucked into.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 01:39:57 PM »

Renewal?  Whuzzat?     Our licenses are issued for life.     Our licenses comprise our Certificate of Proficiency  with an attached license.    $60. for life.    The Certificate also has a small wallet size removable  license card at the botttom.     

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 02:33:16 PM »

Ed, what's your power limit up there? Higher than the states, right?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 04:32:52 PM »

I used the FCC site last year to renew, once I got the necessary info it was a piece-o-cake. Received my renewed and updated license a week or so later. Had no idea I was a boot until someone emailed me from 8 Land.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 05:06:54 PM »

I use my freebee ARRL service for this chore... Works GREAT!  (Life member, 60+ years...)

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »

The ARRL always sends me a renewal notice for free.

klc

What? Me worry?
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 06:37:20 PM »

K4KYV wrote
I think they have vastly improved their site since I first had to navigate it to register for a FRN.

That's interesting Don. I got my ULS password unsolicited in the mail in Feb. 2001. I still have the letter/notice of the changeover to the online system in my desk drawer here. Most of the hams I've talked with remember getting the notice but "can't find it anymore".

'Course when you only need to renew every 10 years the phrase;"now where'd that notice go?" seems to come out quite quickly!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 07:36:56 PM »

I got my ULS password unsolicited in the mail in Feb. 2001.

They never sent me one.  I recall the FCC was encouraging everyone to apply for a ULS number, but the first time I tried, I couldn't successfully navigate the system.  Some of the links you were supposed to click on refused to open, as I recall.  So I said to hell with it till I actually needed it to renew, a couple of years later.  It worked without a hitch then.

If I needed it to-day, I wouldn't have a clue with what I did with it or what the number is, so at next renewal, I hope it will be easy to recover the number online from the FCC site.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 01:14:29 AM »

Don,

On checking the QRZ site I found the following under your call (additional info):

"ULS Record:  247088 FCC page"

How simple is that?

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015