The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:11:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new el34s for apache  (Read 3063 times)
NR5P

« on: February 21, 2010, 11:04:39 AM »

I had one of the el34s in my apache short out some time back.  I'm looking for an affordable set of el34s that will be fairly reliable.  Since the apache runsem kinda hard I didn't want to have to buy another set shortly in the future.  Also don't want to spend more than I have to.
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 12:57:52 PM »

I'd try to get a pair of the older Svetlanas. They were pretty rugged. Circle C is the new Svetlana branding.

Pat
N4LTA
sndtubes
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 09:04:40 PM »

I'm in the tube business and you will find the old stuff on my website, but you won't like the price.  The audio people have driven the price of these through the roof.  I'd never pay my own prices (hi hi).  Unless you find a "steal" or are prepared to pay the huge money, the Russian stuff that Tube Depot and others sell are fine.  I'd stay away from Chinese, though.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 09:41:48 AM »

Dunno about the latest Ruskie tubes, but the ones that were coming through 10 years ago would not take the abuse of the screens that the NOS USA tubes will. So, make certain that you have a means to control excess screen current. Once those tubes were "hit" hard (WRT the screens) they would start to bias drift and the current would rise. Bias them down, and sooner or later the current would rise... etc.

They may have fixed this in the current tubes, it seems likely since I've read better reports about the Ruskie tubes in recent times...

Maybe you want to sub in some sweep tubes? Cheesy

_-_- bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 11:56:46 AM »

Hmmmm, I never seemed to have problems finding good 6CA7's for my TX-1.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 05:34:28 PM »

Tubesandmore.com  has a host of them. I would try to find american tubes. Then maybe the Svetlanas.

C
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 08:35:44 PM »

These are mules, the Teslovak E34LS from Penta Labs:

http://www.pentalabs.com/pdfs/EL34S.pdf

Matched Set:
http://www.pentalabs.com/Product.aspx?dept_id=1516&pf_id=e34ls%20mp

I've tried them in RF amp Ab1 service. Not a great RF tube, but some of the other Russian ones I tried got gassy after a brief overload. This E34LS takes it and more....very stout!

I found that the 7591 is a much better RF tube (low Cgp), and two of those gave me 60w PEP on 80m in a QRO Central Electronics 20A. The EL34/6CA7 family are best left to audio usage. That E34LS survived a major rise in G2 voltage and took several seconds at about 100w Pd before it blushed. I think it has the 6L6GC tri-metal plate design..

Jim
WD5JKO

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015