The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:40:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 to 12 more inches of SNO Tuesday afternoon --> Wed. afternoon.  (Read 14496 times)
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 09:21:02 PM »

The best weatherman in this part of the country says that once this one clears, we are in for several days of good WX.  You might keep a close eye on things and, provided things work as he said, you will have plenty of time to make your trip.

I live on a hill and I had to use 4 WD to get up to the garage this afternoon.  The highways are clear but wet which will freeze tonight.  Tomorrow is supposed to be mid 40s and rise for the next 5-7 days.  Do drive careful.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 02:34:02 AM »

looks like 32 deg, still snowing, I think we might break the record? I have at least 8" here but it is tapering off. work from home tomorrow. When I came home, the city bus was stuck in the snow in the intersection at my street and I had to go around the block. Once i got to the driveway, i would not have been able to go up it without the tru-track differential I had installed in the 2WD pickup truck (real 2WD, not the single spinning wheel that is usually available stock). I lament that my 'new' military truck is in the shop, as it would have been perfect for tomorrow: 6x6, 24,000 lbs, 18" wide 52" tall tires.

* atlas-kildare-2hours-5pm.jpg (68.67 KB, 640x480 - viewed 428 times.)

* 100_8639.JPG (249.13 KB, 1000x710 - viewed 348 times.)

* 100_8641.JPG (273.64 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 370 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 08:15:03 AM »

Well.................... after another day of friggin diggin we are finally dug out again.
according to the wx prognosticators, we have broken an all-time record here in Baltimore! ! !  79.5 inches total snowfall for the year! (winter season '09-'10).
Our piss-ant governor is trying to get federal disaster money because they didnt budget enough for it.

Even I didnt come out of it unscathed!! I lost the back porch roof to + 5+' 0f snow!!

All I can say is come on warm weather! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

The Slab Bacon

* PICT0014.JPG (402.65 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 395 times.)

* PICT0007.JPG (375.47 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 409 times.)

* PICT0004.JPG (456.01 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 361 times.)

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 08:20:38 AM »

Heerz a couple more! !

* PICT0016.JPG (401.99 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 371 times.)

* PICT0017.JPG (395.97 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 360 times.)

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 09:11:10 AM »

wow Frank,
Sorry about the damage.
I think we're all pretty sick of winter.

Here's to the  ol' back porch where many quaffed but few lived to tell...

At least you have had some sun.  Still gloomy and continuous lake effect snow 'showers' over here.

RICK  *W3RSW*
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2010, 10:31:28 AM »

wow Frank,
Sorry about the damage.
I think we're all pretty sick of winter.

Here's to the  ol' back porch where many quaffed but few lived to tell...

At least you have had some sun.  Still gloomy and continuous lake effect snow 'showers' over here.

It just came down about 10 minutes ago!!

It is dead pinned up against the back door.

* PICT0026.JPG (395.09 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 380 times.)

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 10:56:13 AM »

So Frank, does that mean teh pharty is off this year?

Roll Eyes Cheesy Grin Cheesy   Tongue

Owch. time to call the insurance company.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2010, 10:56:41 AM »

Two brighter sides to the crash;

1.) -You didn't have to shovel its roof and crash through with it. Grin

2.) -Here's just the nudge to make the deck and roof even bigger, say 20' x 20.'

It's the favorite hang out of hams everywhere.  From experience it's a wonder the deck itself hasn't collapsed from the weight of the crowd.  Sometimes there are so many that you can't even open the door from the kitchen so I don't see a whole lot of difference other than you don't have a house full of really good food and the grazers to match.

Thought : why not have a Timonium pre-farty deck erection ?  urk.  (yeah, I know , the's a question of funds, etc.)

RICK  *W3RSW*
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 11:13:32 AM »

It looks like the cooler survived... you don't need no stinking roof fer a party...........

klc

What? Me worry?
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 11:48:03 AM »

Another pre-farty thought.

Where else can you get 20 or 30 really cheap helpers?
- yeah, a deck raisin' can be a lot of fun.
People show up at your house 2 days early anyway.  Put em to work!

RICK  *W3RSW*
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2010, 08:56:37 PM »

Kinda looks that way  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry

this was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back for us. Besides, due to all of the other pitfalls that got me by the BAs this year, it looks like we are gonna have to call it off for this year. Consider this the first "official notice" that the pharty is cancelled for this year.  Shocked  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry

As Time draws closer to the beginning of March I will post a reminder of the cancellation.

However look out next year!!

The Slab Bacon

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2010, 09:18:31 PM »

The neighbor's carport collapsed on her car (no pics). Not much I can do to help but she is OK and has family in town.

A tree out front cracked and is hanging on the telephone cable. Apparently the phone company does not care and/or does not know. You can't get anyone there on the phone anyway, only those dag-blasted pushbutton menus.. I sent them an e-mail, but who knows what bit-bucket that went into.

the RG-8 there needed a few whacks.. 9.75" more or less. The 'tubular' object to the left is the ceramis feedthrough where my long wire was. It's on the ground somewhere now.

The RG8 is not very useful, only goes to an Antron-99 CB antenna up about 25 FT and I am not using the CB, although today might have ben a good day for it with the 4 truck stops I am near.

I opened the attic trap to let the attic warm up and melt the stuff off the house. Ben hearing creaking and the like, but this house is built well, 1949 style.

Also fired up a few 1500W heaters in the lab to help melt it off that steel roof. I don't know how much it can take. Buildngs here are not built for much snow.

Remembered that there is a reason to wear big boots in snow. Once I tracked snow and water all over the house, changed out of the cold wet pants, sneakers, and socks, I put on the tall Wesco's and went back out to finish surveying the property.

Worked from home. Made percolated coffee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISjhfBHkauA - -tempting coffee
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m8twbRN_2g  -10 minutes of percolation, from simmer to boil to simmer.

yeah I was bored enough to do that, really bored.

* 100_8653s.jpg (113.97 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 365 times.)

* 100_8663.JPG (207.6 KB, 800x815 - viewed 378 times.)

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2010, 09:28:55 PM »

Kinda looks that way  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry

this was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back for us. Besides, due to all of the other pitfalls that got me by the BAs this year, it looks like we are gonna have to call it off for this year. Consider this the first "official notice" that the pharty is cancelled for this year.  Shocked  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry

As Time draws closer to the beginning of March I will post a reminder of the cancellation.

The Slab Bacon

You guys are lucky to have those parties! It's a pity about the awnings and patio roofs. Hope it is not a fortune to fix.

K5WLF
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 11:54:50 PM »

You guys are lucky to have those parties! It's a pity about the awnings and patio roofs. Hope it is not a fortune to fix.

Patrick,

We might should oughta plan a Texas style party around here someplace. I'm in Stephenville, K5HIX has a 118 acre place out in Zephyr. No reason the East Coast guys should have all the parties. Maybe something to think about when the WX moderates a bit. There's gotta be someplace around NC Texas suitable for a ham party.

Frank,

Sorry about the damage at your QTH. Hope it's not too pricey to get repaired.

Stay warm, y'all,
ldb
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2010, 12:48:08 AM »

maybe there can be a post Barryville VA hamfest dinner and op event out my way. I'll have the Raytheon BCL TX installed and operating way before then.

I figgered no party long time ago, I was jest stickin ye in the ribs OM.  Wink Sux the snow got ya.  Sad
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2010, 12:54:50 AM »

Kinda looks that way  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry

this was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back for us. Besides, due to all of the other pitfalls that got me by the BAs this year, it looks like we are gonna have to call it off for this year. Consider this the first "official notice" that the pharty is cancelled for this year.  Shocked  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry

The Slab Bacon

Hey Franko!

I think we all probably assumed that might well be the case.

You've got to look out for number 1, and get yourself feeling 100% first. The party can always wait, and there's always next year.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2010, 07:33:51 PM »

Patrick,

We might should oughta plan a Texas style party around here someplace. I'm in Stephenville, K5HIX has a 118 acre place out in Zephyr. No reason the East Coast guys should have all the parties. Maybe something to think about when the WX moderates a bit. There's gotta be someplace around NC Texas suitable for a ham party.

Frank,

Sorry about the damage at your QTH. Hope it's not too pricey to get repaired.

Stay warm, y'all,
ldb

Possibly in the spring before it gets hot? I'm interested.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015