The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:24:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maul Pix  (Read 17108 times)
N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 11:56:41 AM »

I cleaned that entire rig when it was in my possession, both inside and out.  It ran flawlessly for years.  Derb, notice the green wires with soldered clip lead ends on the grid input coil.  Those are on the most outward taps for 160 use and can easily be clipped to the most inward ones for 75.  The "Q" wasn't quite right for 75 but it operated perfectly.  If you have the will, you can rewind that input coil and make taps closer in to the center of the coil.  There is no need to move the taps on the output tank coil when changing between 75 and 160.  Just simply turn the swinging link, tune and load, and you're good to go.  I fed a 15 watt signal from a Kenwood 870 into the 813 driver which was configured for grounded grid broadband input by Mike, W2ZE.  There is a switch mounted on the front of the transmitter that can key the rig.  When I first installed it, I had to run upstairs to the shack to key the rig, then fly back downstairs to tune it.....didn't take long until that got old.  Also, Gary, W2INR built me a handy T/R switching box so I was able to use the 870 for a driver and / or a receiver.  Mostly I used it as a driver only, and used an R390-A receiver.  There is a variable on the front panel that I ran full open to give me 1500 volts, which allowed the rig to make a nice 300 watt carrier with PLENTY of audio head room.  I used a Behringer Ultra Voice Pro model VX-2000 mic preamp/ processor device along with  Harrris AM Limiter that I got from Paul, W3VJB on long term loan.  It went under his permission to Fred, so You may want to inquire about that with Fred and Paul.  The Behringer had plenty of gain to make that rig sing.  By the way, the rig is virtually silent until it's keyed and you hear that beautiful sound of the big contactor in there just reverberating through the cabinet.  Good luck with it and let me know if I can be of any assistance.  Whew, that was an old buzzard!
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 12:08:38 PM »

yah, I will have to beggarz to wifey for more.  Tongue

I do not know who made the iron for Raytheon. Let me look in the  manual and see if I can get anything from the part numbers.

Dave: the manual states that the supplier of all the iron in the rig is Raytheon, except for the audio inpoot transformer which they list as UTC. Raytheon surely could have made that iron back in the day.

Thanks Derb.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 12:22:05 PM »

thanks Jay, next step is to pay Phred and find out who I'm gonna get to move it down here. I think this is the last stop it's going to make. By any chance would you (or someone else) still have the crapped out motor for the swinging link? I'd like to get it rebuilt if it didn't get canned (which I assume it did) .  Sad

I'm wondering how the rig would look with the ThermoWhore plate iron I have in it. That would be around 2100 volts best guess. I'm thinking it might fit.

N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »

That motor was gone when I acquired the rig.
W2ZE
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 01:43:18 PM »

I fed a 15 watt signal from a Kenwood 870 into the 813 driver which was configured for grounded grid broadband input by Bob, W2ZM. 

After all these years, you still can't get me and my OM straight Tongue

Derb:
 I tossed that motor in the T - rash when I worked on it. Been rotting in the landfill since 2003. It's just link coupling, set it and forget it. The G-G 813 driver is what I use in my 833 rig. Simple, economical and easy circuit to drive with loads of drive for the 810's and easily accessible spares.
N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 02:24:16 PM »

OOOPS............Sorry, Mike.  I don't get you guys cornfused, I just though the "Cue Ball" did that mod Shocked
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 03:50:15 PM »

Derb,
It's amazing how similar the tank network is to my 1941 Gates 250C1.  Nice to see push pull operation.  My 250C1 uses a pair of 810's modulated by another pair. 

Are you still moving forward with the HB rigs you started to build?  I know you were collecting parts for I believe 2 rigs.     

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 03:56:57 PM »

Cue Ball and Son of Cue Ball. Get it straight OM.

OOOPS............Sorry, Mike.  I don't get you guys cornfused, I just though the "Cue Ball" did that mod Shocked
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 04:32:12 PM »

Bawldies all  Grin

Derb, here's a QSL fer ur files OM.  You can tape it in the back.
Not too many like this anymore.

* WJVB.pdf (488.36 KB - downloaded 247 times.)

RICK  *W3RSW*
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 04:42:23 PM »

Are you still moving forward with the HB rigs you started to build?

oh yeah no change there. I still need a 40 meter rig. I'm going to finish building the 5-125B rig in the small 36" rack.

I have been taking apart the BC 375 tuning unit to get tank components for that. nice coils n caps ready to go.....

tnx Rick, thats a kool qsl. I might just have to photoshop that a bit and use it for myself.  Cool

W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 11:51:21 PM »

Hey Derb, I am happy for you.  What a good looking beast!  Have fun exploring it's nuances. 

Rich
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 01:55:04 PM »

That's a really cool QSL - just like a ham QSL. It even has the tube line up of the transmitter!

Bawldies all  Grin

Derb, here's a QSL fer ur files OM.  You can tape it in the back.
WA3VJB
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 02:27:57 PM »

Bawldies all  Grin

Derb, here's a QSL fer ur files OM.  You can tape it in the back.

Yeah very cool card.
Very close to my calls -- and with Jay calling me W3VJB , well --
OK FINE !!!

Seeing those inside shots reminds me of the time we dismantled one in the rain under cover of darkness. But it was the big sister RA1000.  Steve almost got the components into his basement but we got intercepted and a lot of it ended up at my place instead, with most now gone on to good homes.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2010, 12:17:31 PM »

I'll have to lookup who has 'w3vjb,
 and if it's open,

well...

"We're awaitin' "

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: