The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:16:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marlborough Hamfest: any good for BA / AM type stuff?  (Read 18961 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 09:49:19 AM »

All Hamfest are great in that you see a lot of people who use to get on the air but seldom do these days!  

One thing about this board, opinions are strong.  

Brett,
We certainly have very clear understanding of how you feel about vintage gear.  

My next Hamfest will be Spring Nearfest.  Very much looking forward to the event.

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W1TAV
Contributing

The Glow of Wood and Radios

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 05:17:23 PM »

Getting Back to the Marlborough Question... Yes, I have picked up some great BA/AM type gear at this flea. HQ-170, HQ170 and some other odds and ends come to mind in the recent past..  I PLAN (plans can change) on bringing up a NC-300, (2) Vikings a 1 & 2, HQ-160 and a HQ-129X.  I may also have a FT-101E and TS-430 with matching speaker and auto tuner if the current deals fall though.  There will be a 75A-2 on the table too, however like a few other pieces, it is spoken for.... I may even have a Station monitor Heathkit HO?? - So yes, there will be some BA/AM type gear on hand...... Steve W1TAV  BTW.. I did recently get a Flex, however I don't think I'll be selling my Collin's A or S line too soon....   Grin

Steve - W1TAV
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 05:58:34 PM »

I know it's a difficult question to answer without a crystal ball. The hamfests around here (NYC) consist mostly of computer parts, flashlights and 2 meter CB. Opinions?

Thanks!
Phil

I saw the same thing at the MIT ham fests. Seems like they have them monthly as I recall when I lived in the Boston area. Nevertheless, some real gem's have been spotted and purchased there for dirt cheap. I guess the best one I saw in a long time ago, maybe ten years at Rochester, NY. I say this because it was packed with great parts and I also saw at least six home brew 4-1000 rigs both one and two hole designs. Stupidly I never even asked how much anyone wanted for the amps. I have done that at other fest's only to learn that something I wanted went for low bucks. That's when I was working and had lots of bucks. It make no sense at all Cry Cry Cry

Brett, you have some fascinating home brew gear! I would be proud to own anything you have built!

I noticed somewhat of a negative twist in this thread. Come on guys, spring is almost here! Brighten up, it could be worst, you could be me Grin Grin Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 09:02:07 PM »

It's always "fun" to resurrect a thread that's 2 years old. This year's Marborough hamfest will be on Feb. 18.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA2QFX

Mark

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 10:38:48 PM »

As with Mike's comments, I go to Marlborough as much for the lunch with the guys as I do for buying and selling. The meet and greet alone is worth the trip for me. It's the first fester after the winter's hibernation and you never know what you'll see there.  I go looking for little and always find stuff I have to have... then we meet and eat!! 

Hams from Jersey to Maine, and maybe farther, seem to think it's worth the trip.  Your mileage may vary.

Mark
W2PHL
Contributing

Phil

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 09:45:05 AM »

I'm looking forward to going again this year. Still haven't seen any serious toobage though. Cool Hopefully I will see some of you there.

Phil

I think therefore AM
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 10:06:16 PM »

Phil, Sussex NJ. Pretty decent. Not huge, but ok.

I made out fine there.
Although it has it's share of people who live in NYC metro area, which at times is not so good.
Saw some good stuff everytime I have been there, and came home with some good stuff too... passed up some stuff...

It's always the same - it all depends on when you walk past the table and what you are looking for. I'm going to buy stuff that you wouldn't think twice about, and vice-versa!

What am I looking for? Usually I have no idea until I see it! Cheesy

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W2PHL
Contributing

Phil

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 09:52:38 AM »

it has it's share of people who live in NYC metro area, which at times is not so good.

HEY!...but I know what you mean. Looks like the Sussex fester is on 07/15/12 thanks for the tip.

Phil

I think therefore AM
w1vtp

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 01:14:08 PM »

Phil: Nice working you this AM.  Hope to see you at not only Marlborough but at NearFest.  Can't speak for Marlborough - most of my BA's came from NearFest.

Brett:  Haven't heard you on in a LOOOONNNG TIME.  I'll never forget what you have done with those 3 4D32s - that's an amazing feat especially with that plate voltage you are using.  While I agree with you in spirit, I'm still going through that phase of acquiring a hernia with style.  Hafta keep picking up and working on as many BAs as I can so I have some bragging rights with my hernia

Stephanie: Great working you the other night in the AM "corntest"

Grin Al

WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 05:44:36 PM »

It is always more fun to buy it, sell it, be remorseful and buy it again and then remember why you sold it and sell it again and somehow make money along the way.

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015