The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:08:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ok, teach me some things about broadcash transmitter audio chains.  (Read 52040 times)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2010, 08:25:46 PM »

Heyyyyy DERB
I hope UR taking a lot of notes!!!!
Start simple and don't worry about the racks of audio equipment needed for Ham radio. As you feel comfy with a B'cast TX, then you graduate to the processors.
The Raytheon only needs 0dB of audio. Consumer audio levels, but it should/must be balanced audio. Maybe suggestions here for a type of transformer to get Tim Balanced audio out.

Fred

I'm not sure what you mean Fred but a Jensen isolation transformer will give a balanced line out however the rig will most likely require line level audio, meaning he can't just run a mic into it so he's going to at least need a mic with some kind of mic preamp and that will probably have a balanced line out he can connect to the rig.  Only prob. there will be that his mic audio may sound muddy and muffled right out of the mic preamp.  A transformer will need more than a mic to drive it too.  I just remembered this is your rig so you are much more familiar with it than I am.

Dan, Bruce, the 9105 is narrower than I thought.   Not too long ago there were some tv optimods on eBay.  Maybe some FMs too.  They show up fairly often--just search Orban in eBay.  It is the AMs that are rare.  There is usually plenty of the "blue panel" Orban gear--622 parametric and paragraphic eqs, various compressors and deessers, from the 70s and 80s, all perfectly fine gear.  Yes the 222 is something. If I had any complaint it would be with the tiny trim pot for adjusting asymmetric modulation--I'd prefer a more substantial control but it was designed to be set once and ignored afterwards. 

About five years ago or more, you could get a 222 on eBay for as little as $100 but then the Part 15 AM broadcasters discovered it, and now they go for $500.  I must confess I got tired of waiting for one to show up on eBay and bought mine new from BSW.  That way I at least was able to select my LPF.  At the time, I questioned my sanity but you know, after I got it installed, figured it out and started using it, it seemed like a bargain for what it does.   If anything happened to mine I'd have to get another one--it has become another can't live without piece of shack gear along with the oscilloscope.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2010, 11:26:10 PM »

Bruce:

I am near the end of getting my BA in liberal studies.

OK on your 3 transformers after the processor. My thought is that the fewer square waves generated by any processor will allow an easier negative baseline to be found-same as your modulator becomes more linear amplitude, frequency and phase wise when an audio clipper is used. Sounds like a very nice modulator though. I had to fight phase shift on my transmitters in the past.

On the 8182A-this is not a 4 band processor, rather it really is a 2 band designed for FM. It's closest cousin is the FM 8100. To me the Hilbert clipper is the key interesting item in the box, next the overshoot corrected distortion canceling clipper (I am a firm believer in careful clipping for loudness, and I see you desire less distortion). If you wanted to defeat the clipping, then this unit just becomes another compressor/limiter. For that matter, you could get an 8182ASAP (it's mono), use the compressor cards only (possibly put them in the optional studio chassis), and send this to the Inovonics 222.

On my 8182ASAP modification, I eliminated the de-emphasis, reduced the bass and am working on lowering the brick wall LPF to be more friendly to ham AM. If I get this working the way I want, I'll modify a friend's unit for SSB. School and work are taking precedence now, so it may be summer before i can dive deeply into it again.

Lookin' forward to hearing Derb on the air with the new Ghetto Blaster.

Dan
KW4DE

« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2010, 03:46:30 PM »

Hey has anyone used or tried Sound Solutions?

http://www.tmsweb.dnsalias.com/SoundSol.htm
Radiohead
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2010, 05:29:30 AM »

I sugest breakaway broadcast, it has asymetrical clipper options and a 5khz filter for AM use.

The creator of this software used too work for Orban

http://www.claessonedwards.com
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015